Corrosion X

Old June 16th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Corrosion X

Based on his inspection of our Arrow's airframe during its current annual,
our mech is recommending a Corrosion X treatment. Anybody have one done at
one the authorized Corrosion X Treatment Centers? Feedback, good or bad?
Cost? How long did it take? I'll go ahead and call the nearest center
(which is not exactly convenient) but thought I'd ask for opinions and
advice from the group first.

-Elliott Drucker
Old June 16th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

This is not rocket science... Bubba the mechanic can do this one... Get
some ACF-50 and a sprayer with a long nozzle, put on your common sense
hat and you and Bubba go for it...

denny

Old June 16th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

Based on his inspection of our Arrow's airframe during its current annual,
our mech is recommending a Corrosion X treatment. Anybody have one done
at
one the authorized Corrosion X Treatment Centers? Feedback, good or bad?
Cost? How long did it take? I'll go ahead and call the nearest center
(which is not exactly convenient) but thought I'd ask for opinions and
advice from the group first.

Getting it done is no big deal. I have it done to my airplane every other
annual.

My airplane has been parked two miles from Mobile Bay for six years and
shows no signs of airframe corrosion.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 16th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 16-Jun-2006, "Dan Luke" wrote:

Getting it done is no big deal. I have it done to my airplane every other
annual.

My airplane has been parked two miles from Mobile Bay for six years and
shows no signs of airframe corrosion.

Good news for a change! For some reason I had it in my mind that the
process was fairly involved and thus expensive. Our Arrow has nearly always
been hangared, and corrosion has not, to date, been an issue. But now our
mech is seeing some very minor powdering and recommends the treatment.
We'll probably get it done in the next couple of weeks.

I previously co-owned a C-172 that spent its entire life (18 years when we
sold it) outdoors, never had any anti-corrosion treatment and never had any
serious corrosion issues. This is in Seattle, so the plane got rained on
regularly. Apparently salt is a much bigger issue than wet. The plane was
parked at BFI, less than a mile from Puget Sound (sal****er). But there is
very little salt in the air and on the ground here. Humidity in summer is
generally low, and no need for salt or other chemicals for clearing ice from
roads in winter.

-Elliott Drucker
Old June 16th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Just curious if anyone has ever suspected ACF-50 or
other corrosion treatment as being bad for some
plastic / bakelite type parts? The reason I ask is that
my C172 had been treated with ACF-50 in years past via
the previous owner. I had a flap failure one day
and discovered the cause was the microswitches
in the right wing that sense flap full-up / full-down
position. Both switch cases had broken down to the point
that just touching them caused them to crumble into
pieces. I'd never seen anything like that before, and
I've handled a lot of old microswitches. The only
possible explaination I could offer was that the ACF-50
might have damaged the hard plastic case on the microswitches.

Of course maybe it was some other lubricant or cleaner that
had been sprayed into that area inside the wing.

Anybody else ever see anything like this?

Ronnie

Old June 16th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Ronnie" wrote:

Just curious if anyone has ever suspected ACF-50 or
other corrosion treatment as being bad for some
plastic / bakelite type parts?

Nope.

My only gripe about Corrosion X is that it leaves oily streaks on the finish
(they wash off) for months after each application. Necessary evil, I
suppose.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 17th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

No reason to hire anyone to do that other than to save yourself the trouble.
I use it for everything I need to protect from corrosion here in the
caribbean, even my car, scooter, etc. 100% results. It works exactly as
advertised and then some. All you need to do is open up those inspection
panels and access points, maybe remove the interior and the paneling to get
to the inside of the back of the aircraft, and apply.

Old June 17th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 16 Jun 2006 04:02:32 -0700, "Denny" wrote:

This is not rocket science... Bubba the mechanic can do this one... Get
some ACF-50 and a sprayer with a long nozzle, put on your common sense
hat and you and Bubba go for it...

LPS-2 also works. Just don't have this work done in the winter. Once
the temperature comes up, it'll drip for two weeks in the hot sun.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

denny

Old June 17th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:55:06 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

"Ronnie" wrote:

Just curious if anyone has ever suspected ACF-50 or
other corrosion treatment as being bad for some
plastic / bakelite type parts?

Nope.

My only gripe about Corrosion X is that it leaves oily streaks on the finish
(they wash off) for months after each application. Necessary evil, I
suppose.

You "wash" your airplane? Next you'll be giving your cat a bath.

Old June 17th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Roger" wrote:

You "wash" your airplane? Next you'll be giving your cat a bath.

Heh.

My airplane is parked under cover but not in a hangar. At BFM, jet engines
and APUs are running almost constantly at Mobile Aerospace Engineering.
Jet-A soot, dust and salt spray stick to the plane overnight when it gets
wet from condensation. I can wash it on Sunday and it will be filthy again
by Friday, just by sitting there.

Usually, I just give it a quick squirt bath with the hose. About every
other month it gets a real wash.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Pilatus B4 and corrosion Mika Koski Soaring 1 April 26th 06 09:50 PM
Corrosion Evaluation Help Dick Home Built 3 July 15th 05 02:51 AM
Surface Corrosion? Joaquin Murrieta Home Built 2 May 3rd 05 01:19 AM
Corrosion Proofing Clay Owning 7 April 22nd 05 12:03 AM
How much corrosion is too much? Carl Orton Owning 5 February 2nd 04 01:31 AM