A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

Old January 27th 21, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

Y'all watch too much TV. If you shut your TV off, the 'rona goes away. Try it.

Not just that, a whole bunch of your problems go away and you greatly
increase the quality of your life!!!!
Old January 27th 21, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 4:49:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 3:21:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
...Andy was saying that Biden had a plan, where is it. I am still waiting on my vaccine shot just like you.

We've had a year to get a plan in place so whatever you're experiencing right now is whatever momentum was built up from 2020. The system is like a 2-mile long freight train going 5 mph. You're wondering why we're not going 100 mph after the equivalent of 5 seconds. Answer: A=F/M. But I also figured you thought the train was going plenty fast already - nothing wrong with the prior 'plan'.

I suggest we all track vaccinations per day and see what the trend looks like to judge the plan over the next three months. I noticed that the shots allocated to the states per day is up ~15% in the first week - in part because production visibility is improving due to...deliberate efforts to improve production visibility.

I know - six whole days - how come we haven't vaccinated everybody yet? Where's the plan?

Another big difference this week is the administration just bought an additional 200 million vaccine doses from Pfizer and Moderna. The Trump administration kinda forgot to order enough for everyone ever since the initial order in June of enough doses to vaccinate 1/4 of the population. You have to excuse them, they were preoccupied trying to overturn the election results - a very important Constitutional duty laid out by the sovereign citizens on Q-Anon - so now we've had to go to the back of the line behind the rest of the world who had more foresight and ability to count their population - oops! I'm told that Trump didn't want to order more because he thought he could negotiate a better deal later, but later never came. At the time economists pointed out that saving a few billion in vaccine cost at the risk of trillions in economic damage from delay is a dopy idea. But you don't need to be an egghead to figure that out, you just need to be not Donal Trump - who never was very good with math. So now we're stuck with the dopey decision that may lead to supply shortages in March or April so you might have to wait until summer unless J&J can fill the gap or the Administration does some DPA manufacturing **** that Trump also declined to do - or the re-order gets delivered. At least, it seems there is a plan to fix the prioritization scheme that they inherited which, while well-intentioned, was clearly too complex to implement without making a mess with shortages, waste and long lines. Make the most of what supply we have - planning!

I realize it's been six whole days - vs the past year where much of the plan had to do with the pandemic magically going away - that's super easy to plan for! Just do nothing! So now you're looking for a big improvement over the prior state of affairs - on day six. At the same time I hear the argument that the state of affairs that existed prior to Jan 20 was perfectly fine because Trump had a great plan already in place - which was essentially pre-ordering not enough vaccines and calling it Warp Speed.

Honestly, I figured you as an advocate for the view that COVID's a hoax where infections are over-stated by 300x and no one dies because everyone who died actually died of something else. So why are you complaining about waiting for a shot that you likely neither want nor need? Let someone who believes it's real and dangerous get in line in front of you - or skip it entirely - that way there's more for the rest of us. Problem solved!

But actually it's all Fauci's fault for disagreeing with the President about that swallowing disinfectant thing.

Andy Blackburn
9B

Back to gliding please.

Why are we all surprised. Old, white guys with ample disposable income fit square into the MAGA demographic.
Old January 27th 21, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Gregg Ballou wrote on 1/27/2021 8:12 AM:

It's in the newspaper, so I see it there. It's on the radio, and I hear it; it's in signs on
the doors of the stores I go to; the websites I visit mention it; the GP factory tells me my
glider will be delayed 6 months due to it; and my friends want to zoom our EAA and other
meetings. There's lots more than TV and it's not going away until we have herd immunity here,
in the countries near us, the ones we travel to or visitors come from. We may never be free of
it, just like we aren't free from the flu.

Hiding from the news will not protect me from the disease, and I really want to last long
enough to fly my new glider for 5 or 6 seasons. I hope you and the others on RAS will take the
simple covid precautions to ensure you will all be around for the next few years, so I have
friends to fly with.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old January 28th 21, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 3:30:14 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Gregg Ballou wrote on 1/27/2021 8:12 AM:

It's in the newspaper, so I see it there. It's on the radio, and I hear it; it's in signs on
the doors of the stores I go to; the websites I visit mention it; the GP factory tells me my
glider will be delayed 6 months due to it; and my friends want to zoom our EAA and other
meetings. There's lots more than TV and it's not going away until we have herd immunity here,
in the countries near us, the ones we travel to or visitors come from. We may never be free of
it, just like we aren't free from the flu.

Hiding from the news will not protect me from the disease, and I really want to last long
enough to fly my new glider for 5 or 6 seasons. I hope you and the others on RAS will take the
simple covid precautions to ensure you will all be around for the next few years, so I have
friends to fly with.
--

Eric, herd immunity? Please read about the new strain in Brazil. People are getting sick again, the same people who got sick a few months ago. This is a mess, and it will take a year or two or maybe longer to fix it. Everyone, let's stay away from politics on RAS, do we really want to reflect the rest of the country, being totally divided? I prefer not to know what my soaring friends think about this or that president, it makes for a much better conversation.
Old January 31st 21, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 3:50:53 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 1/26/2021 3:25 PM:
On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 4:46:13 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 1:20:09 PM UTC-8, wrote:

Good luck with the on site testing, us seniors cannot even get the vaccine, yet others come from NY and other states to get their vaccine shots in Florida. Argentina and Brazil are selling COVID packages to Florida. My wife is in the medical field, talk to her about the availability!
My wife and I got up early and went to our area's mass vaccination site this morning after hearing on the news last night that it was open and no reservations were required - it was first come, first served. After waiting in line for an hour we were asked for our reservation, which we didn't have, and were turned away! A call to the local health department revealed that the state had changed the rules last night at 8:30 pm. So, now we are trying to get a reservation, but they are all filled. Sigh...

The excuses are already rolling out faster than the vaccinations. The Trump administration is (still) being blamed for not having a distribution plan (they did), are not getting vaccines out to the states (they did), and have no idea how many doses have been ordered and are on hand (they do). The truth is that the states have administered about half of the doses they have received:
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations
At least this is up from 25%. Meanwhile, some hospitals in NY are throwing doses out from fear of heavy fines by Cuomo. Sigh...

On top of that, real scientific studies are coming out proving what we knew all along: lockdowns don't work:
https://www.aier.org/article/new-stu...d-of-covid-19/

Tom

On Monday the site was opened up at 9.30 for appointments and 30 thousand people were online waiting for appointments, but there were only two thousand vaccine dosages available.

How is this related to our soaring vendors business? Surely there are more appropriate venues
for political discussions.

--

Eric,

It's related in that our operations this, and next, season are directly impacted by how COVID is dealt with: poorly and you can kiss meets and contests goodbye, well and they can be salvaged. This should be obvious to you.

Tom
Old January 31st 21, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

2G wrote on 1/30/2021 9:26 PM:

Good luck with the on site testing, us seniors cannot even get the vaccine, yet others come from NY and other states to get their vaccine shots in Florida. Argentina and Brazil are selling COVID packages to Florida. My wife is in the medical field, talk to her about the availability!
My wife and I got up early and went to our area's mass vaccination site this morning after hearing on the news last night that it was open and no reservations were required - it was first come, first served. After waiting in line for an hour we were asked for our reservation, which we didn't have, and were turned away! A call to the local health department revealed that the state had changed the rules last night at 8:30 pm. So, now we are trying to get a reservation, but they are all filled. Sigh...

The excuses are already rolling out faster than the vaccinations. The Trump administration is (still) being blamed for not having a distribution plan (they did), are not getting vaccines out to the states (they did), and have no idea how many doses have been ordered and are on hand (they do). The truth is that the states have administered about half of the doses they have received:
At least this is up from 25%. Meanwhile, some hospitals in NY are throwing doses out from fear of heavy fines by Cuomo. Sigh...

On top of that, real scientific studies are coming out proving what we knew all along: lockdowns don't work:

Tom
On Monday the site was opened up at 9.30 for appointments and 30 thousand people were online waiting for appointments, but there were only two thousand vaccine dosages available.

How is this related to our soaring vendors business? Surely there are more appropriate venues

--

Eric,

It's related in that our operations this, and next, season are directly impacted by how COVID is dealt with: poorly and you can kiss meets and contests goodbye, well and they can be salvaged. This should be obvious to you.

Tom

I encourage discussing how to mitigate the effects of the pandemic on our sport, as this will
enable us to better deal with the situation. I discourage discussing who is to blame for the
situation, as that will likely be a distraction at best, and cause anger and division at worst.

--
Old January 31st 21, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 5:25:47 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 1/30/2021 9:26 PM:

Tom

--

Eric,

It's related in that our operations this, and next, season are directly impacted by how COVID is dealt with: poorly and you can kiss meets and contests goodbye, well and they can be salvaged. This should be obvious to you..

Tom

I encourage discussing how to mitigate the effects of the pandemic on our sport, as this will
enable us to better deal with the situation. I discourage discussing who is to blame for the
situation, as that will likely be a distraction at best, and cause anger and division at worst.
--

Your question was "How is this related to our soaring vendors business?" Getting vaccinated, what works and what doesn't, is VERY relevant to that question. If talking about what doesn't work is "blame" then so be it. Unless we are honest with ourselves we can't fix what is wrong.

Tom
Old February 2nd 21, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

It's amusing to see somebody extol the virtue of Tony Fauci as some sort of oracle.