Questions for EDS D1a users...

Old June 26th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Questions for EDS D1a users...

The small bottle is ~ 311 liters. If I were doing it over, I'd buy
the biggest one that would fit.

Ray Warshaw

PB wrote:

I use
the MH on the night setting, which delivers O2 from the ground up and
get ~9 hours out of the small bottle as long as it's properly filled.

Hi Ray

What is the actual size of the "small bottle". I am considering buying
an oxygen system and would envisage using it as you do. So this would
give me a guide.

thanks

Paul

Old June 26th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another consideration is the regulator. A couple years ago, I depleted
a single bottle in 8-9 hours @ 17K ft. using the D1 unit. After
installing a 2nd bottle, another pilot mentioned to check the regulator
(which also came from Mountain High). Indeed, it was putting out O2 at
27psi, not the 15psi it should. I sent the regulator to MH where they
fixed it no charge. If you have the MH regulator, you might as well
send that to them too for a check.

Old June 26th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Richard, Ray and Kemp for your answers. Richard I am aware of
the duration charts, but they tend to indicate consumption at particular
flight level. Ray said he used it from the ground up and I would
envisage that is how I would use it. So I needed the size to get an
indication.
Also what is the advantage of silica / Kevlar cylinders? Weight,
safety, both?

Cheers

Paul
Old June 27th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc,

Last year I called Mountain High because my EDS-D1a was annoying me
with the alarm sounding off more frequently than other units I used in
the past. According to the person I spoke to (I don't remember his
name), newer units have a slightly different oxygen vs. altitude
mixture and alarm threshold profile. This was based on empirical
studies conducted by MH in collaboration with the University of
Buffalo. This new profile acutally provides LESS oxygen supplied in
each pulse. He said that I could send my unit in and they would
re-program the unit so the alarm would not sound as often, but that the
level of supplied oxygen would also be thinner. I decided to live with
it and not send it in. I don't know if MH has tinkered or updated the
profile again since last year.

Old June 27th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"PB" wrote in message
Also what is the advantage of silica / Kevlar cylinders? Weight, safety,
both?

Cheers

Paul

Composite bottles are typically lower in weight than metal ones. Usual
construction is by partially or fully wrapping composite over a thin
aluminum liner. The composite material may be epoxy reinforced with
fiberglass, Kevlar or carbon fiber. Most composite bottles require
hydro-testing every 3 years, while a few are rated for a 5 year test
cycle - - the same as aluminum bottles. AFAIK, composite bottles are life
limited by DOT in the USA, with life limit set at 15 years. This limit will
probably be extended, to perhaps 30 years, as these bottles gain more field
experience.

When I couldn't source a suitable and optimal sized bottle for the Stemme,
(the CF-480 from MH being too small and the KF-22 too long) I became a
dealer for the bottle listed info below. This bottle may also be well suited
to other applications where it's relatively short, fat size, light weight,
and decent capacity would provide a better fit than some of the other more
commonly available sizes.

The full wrap carbon fiber bottle I provide is:

Outer Diameter 5.38 in (137 mm)

Length 11.90 in (302 mm)
Weight 3.7 lbs (1.68 kg)
Oxygen Content @ 3000 psi: 717 liters

@ 2000 psi: 533 liters

$595 USD, includes mini CGA540 valve and gauge.
As they are date stamped, I don't normally "stock" this bottle, so expect a
few weeks delay when ordering.

bumper

for more info email bumperm "at"att"dot"net