MARCH ISSUE - GLIDING INTERNATIONAL

Old February 15th 13, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johnhamish

Default MARCH ISSUE - GLIDING INTERNATIONAL

THE MARCH 2013 ISSUE OF GLIDING INTERNATIONAL

The March 2013 issue is about to go in the mail. Another 64 page
issue that has a spread of news and photos from around the planet.
Another issue with some great reading plus a wealth of new press
release stories for soaring pilots wherever you are. Just some of the
stories we report on:

• We print an interview with Bogimil Bereś – the creator of the
‘Diana.’ Few would even know his name, but he reveals his background,
the tortuous path the production of the Diana has taken, it’s future
and how he is battling to get it type rated. AND he has let slip that
he has already done some design work on a two seat 22 metre Diana
which will be a ‘turn up’ for the sailplane manufacturing industry. He
believes he already has a backer. He lets us into some back ground on
what goes on in the Polish sailplane manufacturing industry. This is
one of the best stories we have ever printed.

• Aldo Cernezzi reports this issue on the Silent Electro - his
second in depth report on a new sailplanes. This sailplane has an
electric motor in the nose capable of self launching and cruising.
Aldo gives it a ‘thumbs up’. A real fun 40:1 sailplane at an
acceptable price for the sheer enthusiast, who doesn’t give a fig
about competitions. A comprehensive educational report.

• Gliding fatalities world wide, are up 26 Percent in 2012. Our
annual report of gliding statistics (for 2012) shows that the sport
has also lost its greatest number yet of flying members during the
year under review. An absolute myriad of information for everyone
associated with the sport, especially I.G.C. delegates

• Ritz reports on the 32nd World Gliding Championships held at
Chaves, Argentina. Full scoring report. Ritz gives a broad report on
the three classes and tells it as it happened.

• Maria Szemplinska produces some original new photographs for
soaring pilots to ‘ogle’ over. She is a world leader in gliding
photography

• NASA joins two sailplanes together with a new concept for launching
rockets. See what they have done to two Ventus’. More details in this
issue

• Lithium ion batteries are under the microscope. We have done some
research following the grounding of the Dreamliners to tell you just
how or how not they are in regard to safety. We reproduce photos of
the installation of Lithium batteries in the Antares sailplane which
will surprise many.

• Can you imagine a safety helmet made of cardboard? We couldn’t but
they now exist! It opens up all sorts of possibilities. More in this
issue.

• And there is the story about the soaring pilot who over flew a
power plant to only spend a day and half in prison without being
charged. It could happen to you!

• The European Aviation Safety Agency has taken a complete review of
the laws they have previously wanted to enforce. What an about turn!
A message here for your CAA to take a leaf out of their new book.

• And we introduce a new gadget that will be an absolute must for
competition pilots wanting to load their sailplane up with ballast.
You would think it was just made for competition pilots alone.

PLUS A MULTITUDE OF OTHER INTERNATIONAL STORIES THAT PROVIDE GREAT
READING.

USE OUR NEWLY REDESIGNED WEB SITE - REALLY SIMPLE
NEW OR RENEWING SUBSCRIBERS GO TO OUR WEB SITE http:/
www.glidinginternational.com
Old February 15th 13, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:03:54 PM UTC-8, johnhamish wrote:
[...]

I saw the cardboard helmet article on another source and thought the technology has some promise for improving crash worthiness of our cockpits. I could easily see generating a grid that fits between the seatpan and the outer shell of the fuselage that could absorb a significant amount of energy while deforming to protect the pilot's spine. It will be interesting to see if that's where the GI article is headed or if they have other ideas. 3D scans of the seat pan and fuselage would allow development of laser / waterjet cutting files to allow this to be cheaply produced and shipped.

Food for thought,
Craig
Old February 16th 13, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:03:54 PM UTC-5, johnhamish wrote:
[...]

Congratulations on an exceptional journal devoted to gliding. When do you think it will be available as an ebook for devices like the iPad? My trade Journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" is now on the iPad format. The extra capabilities of the high tech publication is really beyond belief. It would cut distribution costs greatly. Just my two cents. Again, the best journal on gliding IMHO.
John Iacobucci