Human factors RECKLESSNESS

Old April 28th 05, 06:44 PM

NW_Pilot,
I totally agree that life is short. I also try to live everyday as
if it was my last but I try to make sure that other lives are not at
risk in my pursuit of happiness. I also do everything that I can to
ensure that I can wake up the next morning to enjoy whatever time that
I have left on this earth.
From what I have read so far, no one has criticized your decision
to take up aerobatic flying be it rolling, spinning or whatever. The
concern was with the use of inappropriate equipment (a non aerobat 150)
and the potential risk of other lives (unless you and your instructor
chose a totally unpopulated area for this practice).

Old April 28th 05, 08:45 PM
Dudley Henriques

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

Plain in simple life is short! You never know
how long you have. So live it like every day is your last.

Actually, you have it backwards. The trick in aerobatics is to live each day
fully expecting that your attitude and skills producing what you do in the
air will allow you to see tomorrow alive :-)

Well, I wish you the best of luck of course, and I certainly don't wish you
any harm, but I can truthfully say to you from my fair amount of experience
training pilots in the aerobatic environment is that if you actually believe
what you are posting out here; live it up while you can, because from what
you're showing me anyway, concerning your attitude toward aerobatics and
flying, you just might not be around all that long.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :-)

Old April 28th 05, 09:30 PM
Eric Greenwell

NW_PILOT wrote:

No it is my concept of life. Plain in simple lifeis short! You never know
how long you have. So live it like every day is your last.

If you really live that way, your prediction that "life is short" will
come true.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old April 30th 05, 06:19 PM
Ed H

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

No it is my concept of life. Plain in simple lifeis short! You never know
how long you have. So live it like every day is your last.

I'm a career Special Forces officer. I've made my living with and around
firearms, explosives, parachutes, and other risky things. Not to mention
roaming around places like Iraq trying not to get shot or blown up. Two of
my favorite off-duty pursuits are aerobatic flying and mountaineering. So
I'm fairly well acquianted with risk.

Here's the thing: it's not about taking stupid chances in search of an
adrenaline rush. It's about controlling your environment, mastering the
challenges set before you. That means gathering information, knowing all
the risks, having the right skills, and taking appropriate measures to
ensure the outcome is positive. Every time.

If you live like every day is your last, then it will become a
self-fulfilling prophesy. It's a BS attitude. Your mentality should be "I
may die, but it ain't gonna be today." Live to fly (or climb, or jump, or
fight) another day.

I don't know Bob Hoover, but I'm willing to bet that his attitude is closer
to mine than to yours. I've known guys with your attitude. Some of them
grew out of it. The others are dead.

I don't blame you for the roll. I blame your CFI. You, as a student,
cannot be criticized for trusting your CFI to advise you. I probably would
have done the same thing 10 years ago, when I didn't know better. Your CFI
should lose his instructor status, if not his flight privs.

But that highlights the big danger in these kind of endeavors. You do the
right thing by seeking help from an experienced person, but what if that
person turns out to be an idiot? All I can say is be careful who you trust,
seek second opinions, and look for appropriate certifications. One of the
saddest things about the NTSB accident reports are all the stories of
friends and family members killed by jackass pilots doing stupid things.

Old April 30th 05, 06:30 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Ed H" wrote in message

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

[...]

It's exactly this philosophy that kept me alive through an entire career of
test flying and demonstrating high performance airplanes at low altitude.
And you're right about Hoover also. I know him, and his philosophy IS
exactly as you have stated here.
Thank you for your service,

Old May 9th 05, 04:28 PM
For Example John Smith

There's no reason why living every day as your last precludes living every
day with the discipline to do everything in a way that best ensures that you
live another day. Who would want their last day to be marked by sloppiness,
lack of skill or poor judgement? Marcus Aurelius spoke at length on this
topic ca. 200 AD.

Old April 28th 05, 06:41 PM
Smutny

Dude, you really need to step back and take a good look at what you're
exhibiting here.

Aerobatic pilots are already often viewed upon as 'daredevils' or
'reckless' from both the non-flying public and many of the
straight-and-level crowd. What we don't need are diatribes like yours
to attempt validation at what we do.

I'm a 'G-junkie' and love aerobatics. I try to go up every sunny day.
And each time I follow the basic rules of acro:

=B7 Use equipment designed for the task
=B7 Wear a parachute
=B7 Obey airspace restrictions (airways & controlled airspace)
=B7 Obey altitude minimums (both the FAA's and mine)

Last Saturday after the Skagit Airshow I gave a guy his first acro
ride. He is a pilot and wanted to try a couple maneuvers just to say he
did. He ham-handed the aileron roll and we landed with +5/-4 on the
g-meter. And we walked away because ALL of the above rules were
adheared to.

Check that attitude and get some proper training in a proper acro
aircraft if you want to continue to enjoy aerobatics. Being safe
doesn't mean being boring.

-j-

Old April 28th 05, 09:04 PM
Andrew Gideon

Smutny wrote:

Dude, you really need to step back and take a good look at what you're
exhibiting here.

You know, NW didn't need to post that he was doing aerobatics in a
*nonaerobatic* airplane. He convinced me a while back that he posts for
the shock value, and likely enjoys the huge response he generates as much
as he enjoys doing inappropriate things in/to aircraft.

I've enjoyed some of the resulting conversation (it never occurred to me
that an inadvertent roll might short the battery's terminals, for example),
but let's not give him the reward he craves. It just feeds his addiction,
and he'll be back for more.

- Andrew

Old April 28th 05, 10:36 PM
Matt Whiting

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Smutny wrote:

Dude, you really need to step back and take a good look at what you're
exhibiting here.

You know, NW didn't need to post that he was doing aerobatics in a
*nonaerobatic* airplane. He convinced me a while back that he posts for
the shock value, and likely enjoys the huge response he generates as much
as he enjoys doing inappropriate things in/to aircraft.

I've enjoyed some of the resulting conversation (it never occurred to me
that an inadvertent roll might short the battery's terminals, for example),
but let's not give him the reward he craves. It just feeds his addiction,
and he'll be back for more.

- Andrew

Well, if the poster who said he was sending the video to his local FSDO
really does that and wasn't just bluffing, then we may not have to hear
of his aviation recklessness too much longer.

Matt