Portable audio variometer

Old April 27th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeplane

Default Portable audio variometer

Do you use Malletec mini vario?
If so, what are the pro's and con's?

How about the "Ascent" vario sold on wings and wheels?

Thanks
Old April 27th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Apr 26, 5:02*pm, jeplane wrote:
Do you use Malletec mini vario?
If so, what are the pro's and con's?

How about the "Ascent" vario sold on wings and wheels?

Thanks

I had a Malletec. I think it works very well, especially in club
gliders with not audio varios. It seems to react more quickly than
the panel variometers.

Old April 27th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Do you use Malletec mini vario?
If so, what are the pro's and con's?

How about the "Ascent" vario sold on wings and wheels?

I have a Malletec and use it in the club ships where I fly since their
panel mounted varios range from non-functional to decorative. I like
mine, and my main issue with it is that is has no volume control and
it is not particularly loud. I'm far from hard of hearing (Ima 36yr
old wannabe audiophile), but I have a hard time hearing it in the
noisy a** club ships (2-33's, L-13 & 1-26)- at least on tow when it
doesn't matter as much. I hang it from my brim, with the speaker on my
ear, which looks retarded but there are whole threads dedicated to the
high fashion at the gliderport already so I won't rehash that here.

Pros:
small/lightweight/compact (can measure/weigh mine if you want...)
does a decent job
batteries last forever (years anyhow)
works in nearly any glider!
very sensitive 1 sec response
surprisingly rugged (mines survived several drops and I'm not it's
first owner)

Cons:
no volume control
no sink tones (only measures lift)
limited functional wearing options
kinda annoying tone (not adjustable)
uncompensated

I've no experience with the Ascent unit but am interested too.

-paul
Old April 27th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

jeplane wrote:
Do you use Malletec mini vario?
If so, what are the pro's and con's?

How about the "Ascent" vario sold on wings and wheels?

Thanks

No experience w. the Ascent.

"What others have said," about the Malletec, based on several years' use
(and no battery changes, yet). Good value for the bux. A good excuse for
wearing a bucket hat for hanging reasons (not that any of us don't
aloft, of course...).

Bob W.
Old April 28th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Flytec makes great varios for Hang Gliding. They offer an audio only
vario called a Sonic that has a nice tone and reasonable volume.
Louder than the Malletec and only a few bucks more.

There are a few different HG/PG varios on the market now for $300 or
less that include displays and useful functions like averagers.

The classifieds on ozreport.com often have used HG/PG varios for
sale.

Morgan

Old August 6th 10, 12:37 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu1a View Post
[...]

I have a newly acquired ASCENT vario and thus far I find it quite adequate. I fly a rented 1-34 with no audio and don't like keeping my eyes in the cockpit any more than I have to. The device is adequately loud even for an old deaf guy like myself. I like that it records the flight in various ways, take off time, give you your max altitude, landing time and other parameters. Very light weight and comfortable and easy to use. It is not made specifically for flying a conventional glider so the info on lift and sink such as on tow and with the air brake/spoilers extended is somewhat skewed but otherwise it is excellent. Records up to 200 flights, recharges quite quickly and I would recommend this to anyone considering such a device. Got mine from Wings and Wheels at 275$ plus shipping.

Walt