Clifornia City Gider ops in jeopardy

Old December 16th 13, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Clifornia City Gider ops in jeopardy

California City statistics for Saturday 14 December.
A great day for power flying: Low density altitude (high 14C/57F), no clouds, 100 mile visibility, very light wind, no pesky vertical air movement.
Witnessed by myself between the hours of 9:45AM and sunset.

Tow plane takeoffs: 3
Tow plane landings: 3
Glider takeoffs: 3
Glider landings: 3
Non-glider-associated takeoffs: 1
Non-glider-associated landings: 1
Fouga Magister engine runs: 1

Jim

On Monday, December 16, 2013 7:41:17 AM UTC-8, Jason Kramb wrote:
Marty,

Has there been any updates on the situation at L71 glider operations? The website doesn't seem to have any recent updates.

For others, I had only discovered the thread on RAS that mentioned the current situation at L71 and caught up with all of the documentation a few weeks ago. While I no longer live in the Antelope Valley area, I spent 8 years living there and using the Cal City airport, both as a power pilot and a glider pilot. It is one of the few places in the country where I've found ideal operations for both types of aircraft that easily and safely maintains separation between aircraft types and allows for simultaneous operations if necessary.

I wholeheartedly support the existing glider operations plan that's been in effect since well before I was born and that has worked so well over all those years. Cal City gets the vast majority of its traffic and aircraft operations from glider operations year round. Without the gliders, the community will have lost a valuable resource and amazing place to fly.

Please let me know where I can offer further statements of support to the organizations that work for us.

Regards,

Jason

Old August 3rd 14, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Mileski

Hi Marty and Cindy,

Bill Mileski here.. In the early 90's I got my glider rating from you. Since then I've moved back East, built an Experimental, started a family, etc.

A work trip gave me the opportunity to visit Minden last week, and in conversation with some local pilots, I found out about the mess at Cal City. I read all of the above, and also Walter Rogers' summary.

Just wanted to say my heart goes to you guys. I cherish the memories from my time out there, including wave, aerobatics, high altitude training, and all the time in QM, the baby Grob, and even some in a Blanik. I still chuckle about how once I almost ripped the main gear off of QM practicing a no-spoiler landing with you (Marty) -- at the time definitely not funny, and I'm forever sorry for that one! Also, I always considered you two as holding us pilots to the highest standards of safety and performance.

If there's any point to the above, it's just that glider ops at L71 over the years gave so much to so many, and the cessation seems to be based on such lack of consideration on so many fronts, by the mentioned controlling organization(s). Wish I (and others) could offer some sort of tangible help. I hope some sanity prevails.

Best regards,

Bill Mileski
william d o t mileski at g m a i l dot c o m
Ledyard, CT

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:10:22 AM UTC-4, Martin Eiler wrote:
Soarist

It is thanks to the many hundreds of hours of research, investigation and

dedication by the California City Glider Pilots Action Group and the

soaring community in general. That we at least temporarily have some hope

of Caltrans re-permitting Cal City Airport to return to the safe, sane and

functional operations of the past three plus decades. So that viable

operations can continue while we wait for the major runway glider

staging/launch apron project to be completed. One of the most

disheartening aspects of this fight, was when we found out that AOPA and

Calpilots were not interested in offering any support whatsoever in keeping

70% of the operations and 50% of the aircraft based at Calif City Airport..

For the time being we encourage those interested to go to Walt Rogers Blog

and get some idea of the history of what has been going on, and you can

scroll down to the bottom of the page and post comments.

http://scriptogr.am/wrogerswx/post/c...der-operations

We are asking that you hold off sending any comments to the politicians

because that will be our last line of defense if needed.

Marty and the Calif City Glider Pilots Action Group

Going to New York City [email protected] Piloting 10 April 28th 08 03:13 PM
Iowa City TFR john smith Piloting 2 December 5th 05 02:03 AM
Atlantic City Brad Salai Piloting 5 August 12th 05 03:48 AM
city lights The Weiss Family Piloting 5 July 3rd 04 12:34 PM
Air Safety in Jeopardy PlanetJ Instrument Flight Rules 5 August 9th 03 04:46 PM