17th EGC (Club, Standard, 20m) coverage

Old July 6th 13, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

Default 17th EGC (Club, Standard, 20m) coverage

In case somebody was interested, the video materials from 17th EGC (Club, Standard, 20m) are available at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa5hoVLTl803FzSQOiQVz6w

Today the video of the daily task briefing was posted about 9am EST (3pm local). So one could watch it while the competitors are still in the air. I think it gives a nice feel of the event. Hopefully this will be kept up, a local TV station is giving the event pretty much a continuous coverage, they have a crew stationed at the airfield (EPOM) for the competition. No fancy helicopter camera shots, but hopefully a nice collection of a fairly professional material will emerge. I will try to post links to some stuff in followups for this post. We hope for Internet live streaming at the time of landings, but we still have to wait and see how this will work out. It is all a rather grassroot effort.
Old July 7th 13, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

At http://egc2013.eu/video/ there is live video streaming, right now we have landings (Sun Jul 7 11:30 EST). This will be available hopefully every day.

Old July 7th 13, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

Video from Day 2 starts is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IxywYm3O38
(no commentary, just video and ambient sounds).
Briefing for Day 2 (in English), starting with announcement of
the previous day results is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOxYdJVp5f8
Old July 8th 13, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

Rather long sequences from Day 2 landings (no voice comments) and (in a later part) "studio" interviews (in Polish) are at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7F3dIP0c6E

No outlandings for Day 2, AAT tasks flown in 450km range.

An interesting bit for Day 2 Standard competition was I think that all 3 pilots from the Polish team seemed to manage to fly (and win) together using 2 types of gliders (Discus2a/ax and LS8).
Old July 8th 13, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

OK, now we can I hope responsibly announce the regular and near constant live video coverage of the 17th EGC at the Ostrów Wielkopolski (EPOM). It is done by pro camera/reporting crews (active pan/zoom to points of interest), not some monitoring webcams. The video feed is available at http://www.egc2013.eu/video/ (just press the big "Play" button on the blank area, there might be other video windows with some canned material posted below).

There is a twice-a-day commentator reporting. The morning (usually 9:00am UTC) live report is done during the glider launches (in the background) and is focused on the analysis of the previous day competition and a current task. The evening live broadcast (usually 15:00pm UTC) has the glider landings in the background and carries "hot" interviews with freshly arriving pilots, team coaches and other competition participants. During the rest of the time there is live video streaming from the airfield, so one can watch the airfield events quite closely. Independently, a video recordings of the day (pre-task) briefing (in English) are promptly posted to the competition YouTube channel.

Right now I am watching the grid launches (88 gliders, 12 tow planes - good the field is wide :-) ) - the camera crews are doing a pretty good job, one can see much better than if actually being there.
Old July 8th 13, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

We had a signal from South Africa that the EGC live video feed there is unusable (patchy transmission). I would like to ask people in and outside of Europe (if they tried to use it) how it works for them. If the problems are widespread we will investigate degrading the quality of the video so less bandwidth will suffice. This is not a local problem here in Poland, but possibly some international links require more restraint on the transmission volume. If you have (positive or negative) observations please e-mail me at , thankyou.

The briefing for Day 3 is available at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIh46T9LoHQ
Old July 9th 13, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

Summary (in English) of Day 3 by the Contest Director at minute 46:00 in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRS9T6b2Fg8

Also, an interview (in English) with Christophe Cousseau (before task of Day 3) at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUVxMl0Sb2E
Christophe is in high spirits, saying effectively "I might be trailing a bit at the moment, but I am the younger and therefore still getting better all the time, so let the leaders beware...". I cheer for him and all the competitors :-)

An "after task" comment by Sebastian Kawa (in English) on Day 3 for Standards is at (4:11)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPIbNW3-4Qs
Old July 10th 13, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

For those who do not know yet, there is a really interesting and voluminous blog by an Australian competitor (HC) in the Championships, Matthew Scutter: https://www.facebook.com/MatthewScuttersGliding
I really like his inside remarks on competition flying. Also, a remarkable achiever, he is what - 21 years old?

Another remarkable competitor - Adam Czeladzki. I wrote short note on his participation at http://egc2013.eu/news/78/ - yes, I know everybody knows him but just in case...

The usual Day 4 briefing and Day 3 results/award ceremony (all in English) is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efTAn1mvUf4 Do not ask me what the prizes were - did not look like cheese this time though.

At 17:10 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lkGErqY-ZQ there is an interview (English) with the head of the Jury, Bruno Ramsayer, who explains and comments on the competition rules and the dispute resolution procedures.
Old July 10th 13, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski

An interesting photo of Club gliders yesterday on final.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
Those who watched the transmission know that there was a moment of a nearly simultaneous landing by 9 gliders. You may take notice of the briefing for landing procedures at yesterday task briefing (available on YT).
The photo above is put into public domain by it's author (Marcin Kasprowiak).

Old July 10th 13, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_4_]

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:01:31 AM UTC-4, Piotr Szafranski wrote:
For those who do not know yet, there is a really interesting and voluminous blog by an Australian competitor (HC) in the Championships, Matthew Scutter: https://www.facebook.com/MatthewScuttersGliding

I really like his inside remarks on competition flying. Also, a remarkable achiever, he is what - 21 years old?

The Aussie kid's blog is a good read. Thanks
https://www.facebook.com/MatthewScuttersGliding