Lightning anyone?

Old July 9th 03, 10:07 PM
Frode Berg

Default Lightning anyone?

Hi!

Has anyone experienced being struck by lightning in a small plane?
Can it be dangerous?
What happens? Loud bang?

I was flying VFR to and from the west coast here in Norway the other day,
and on the way back, I passed through some showers. I was within VFR limits
all the way, and suddenly I say a few lightning flasshes nearby, and got a
bit concerned.
I know it's not supposed to be dangerous, but it would be nice to hear what
happens if it does happen.

Thanks,

Frode

Old July 10th 03, 03:00 AM
Rocky

"Frode Berg" wrote in message ...
Hi!

Has anyone experienced being struck by lightning in a small plane?
Can it be dangerous?
What happens? Loud bang?

I was flying VFR to and from the west coast here in Norway the other day,
and on the way back, I passed through some showers. I was within VFR limits
all the way, and suddenly I say a few lightning flasshes nearby, and got a
bit concerned.
I know it's not supposed to be dangerous, but it would be nice to hear what
happens if it does happen.

Thanks,

Frode

I got caught in the middle of what I can only describe as a spider web
of lightening while ferrying a Cessna 150 across New Mexico. The
turbulence rolled me upside down just as the lightning went off with
one helluva loug bang that was like a rifle going off along my ear. My
hair stood out from the electrical charge and there was a really
noticible smell that I have been told was ozone.
No apparent damage to the aircraft or electrical system/radio much to
my surprise.
On a different occasion while flying a Cessna 402 near Indianapolis
under IFR we took a lightning strike that hit the vertical stabilizer
and exited via the bottom of the right tip tank. Again, one helluva
loud bang and flash with the strange smell. None of the systems or
warning lights gave any indications of impending doom except for the
ADF going offline. On landing at home base, we discovered a small burn
spot on the bottom of the right fuel tank and fuel was slowly weeping
out of the pinhole in the center of the burn spot that was about 1" in
diameter. The fuel tanks were nearly full as this happened not long
after take-off and headed for home. We were not sure if we had been
hit by the lightning and with no systems alerts, decided to continue
on. The damage was discovered after landing about two hours later.
Those are the only two times I've been hit by lightning in over 40
years in general aviation as a professional pilot.
Old July 10th 03, 03:29 AM
Buff5200

It's true that with an all-aluminum monocoque airframe, the direct risk of
electrocution to the pilot is minimal.

It's called the Faraday Effect.

What it means (in non-tech talk) is that as long as you are surrounded
on all sides, top.bottom by
metal or electrical conductive material, you cannot be electrocuted by
lightning.

Works for cars, boats, aircraft. As long as it's metal, not fiberglass,
wood, plastic. And
you are enclosed. No open cockpit protection provided.

Old July 10th 03, 05:47 AM
Capt. Doug

Frode Berg wrote in message Has anyone experienced being struck by
lightning in a small plane? Can it be dangerous? What happens? Loud bang?

I was hit 3 times in 1 year. Flying at the freezing level with big
propellers seems to make one more susceptible. The damage was minimal. Being
pressurized, we didn't hear any of the strikes even as the flash of the
lightning caught the passengers' attention. One strike knocked the
generators off line, but they reset okay. Another crew was hit in the
propeller and the metal erosion indicated that the charge traveled from the
prop through the gearbox and exited off the trailing edge of the wing. That
mandated a prop overhaul and gearbox inspection which was quite costly.

Recently, lightning hit the car as it sat in the driveway. The side mirror
took a direct hit and the debris field had a 20' radius. The charge traveled
through the steel belting in the tires and the front tires blew out. The
rubber was charred were the charge exited from the belting. The concussion
from the blast imploded the side glass. There were glass fragments covering
the entire interior. The concrete driveway had a 4" wide chip blown out.
When I started the car to see if it still ran, it did run but the wipers
came on, the clock time had changed by several hours, the radio presets had
vanished, and the warning lights wouldn't go out.

Lightning is funny. I don't worry too much about being struck in flight as
long as I'm in an aluminum plane. Composites on the other hand, worry me
because I'm not convinced that the manufacturers have adequately protected
the structure from exploding when lightning hits a composite airframe.

D.

Old July 10th 03, 07:14 AM
Michelle P

Frode,

We get about two a month at work. It can be anything from minor
composite work to major airframe and engine work/replacement.

Typically you get and entry and exit point. if that is through the
engine or prop you replace both.

In the last month we have had one strike on a J-41 turboprop and one one
a CRJ. Every time this happens we have to go through a full systems
inspcetion/ check.

The J-41 required a engine, prop and flap replacement and the CRJ
required some rivet replacement just behind the passenger door and a
elevator fairing.

Expensive and time consuming.

I have come close to having a Cherokee I was flying struck. I got out in
time to avoid it.

Michelle

--

Michelle P CP-ASMEL-IA, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, AirLifeLine

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old July 10th 03, 09:17 PM
John Galban

"Frode Berg" wrote in message ...
Hi!

Has anyone experienced being struck by lightning in a small plane?

I experienced a lightning strike while sitting on a motorcycle. I'd
have much rather been in my plane :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 10th 03, 09:49 PM
Big John

Capt

Wasn't lightning one of the problems that caused the failure of Lears
'plastic' bird. First one FAA looked at to certify and they (FAA) were
making up the rules as he went along. Ran him and his wife after he
died out of money trying to meet their certification requirements.

Didn't they finally put some metal in the epoxy to get FAA ok for
composite fueslage ????

Maybe some others have more detailed info on this.

Big John
Point of the sword

Old July 11th 03, 06:51 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Capt. Doug" wrote:

Good thing they had parachutes.

I's hate to be under a 'chute in a lightning storm.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 11th 03, 07:11 PM
Checkerbird

I experienced either a direct hit, or a very close one, while riding in a 1968
Ford LTD as a child. It happened just as we crested an overpass in a severe
thunderstorm at night. Brilliant blue-white flash with instant crash-boom sound
and very strong ozone odor. None of us inside the car felt anything like an
electrical shock at all. The engine died and we coasted to the side of the road.
There were no visible markings of damage on the exterior of the car, but the
AM/FM radio in the dash and my dad's CB radio were zapped, and several small
light bulbs in the instrument panel were burned out too. The engine almost would
not restart, and the car required a new alternator, regulator, ignition switch
and battery before it would ever keep the battery charged again.

Old January 8th 09, 11:45 PM
Graeme Cooper Graeme Cooper is offline
Junior Member

Location: Taunton, Somerst, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode Berg View Post
Hi!

Has anyone experienced being struck by lightning in a small plane?
Can it be dangerous?
What happens? Loud bang?
Hi my name is Graeme Cooper and I was the student in the front seat of the glider that day that was destroyed by the lightning. Please visit my justgiving webpage to see what I am planning next! http://www.justgiving.com/big40reachfortheskiesagain
Please help me to raise awareness and funds for the Parkinson's Disease Society by sending the above address to anyone who you think may like to see it and read my story. I am trying to get interest in it from all parts of the world! Thank you

10 years ago I was given a gift certificate from Caroline my Girlfriend (now my wife) for a days gliding at the London Gliding Club to celebrate my 30th Birthday. It was to become a day that I will never forget.

I had been up about 6 times that day in the front seat of a 2-seat glider and was having a fantastic time. Our last flight of the day was coming to an end. We had been flying for about an hour riding the thermals, enjoying the views and I had even taken control of the joystick and pedals on occasions. On the way back to the airfield we noticed a very black cloud off to our right but nothing to worry about.

In a split second everything had changed. I remember talking to the instructor (Peter Goldstraw) when there was a tremendous bang, the plane jolted and it felt as if a missile had hit us. Eyewitnesses say they saw a ball of lightning streak across the sky and hit our glider.

I think I may have been hit on the head by the Perspex canopy getting blown off from its seating as I was confused and was seeing stars. My ears were ringing from the explosion as the force of the blast had perforated both of my eardrums.

Peter was shouting something but it just seemed like mumbling because I couldn’t hear anything. He later explained he was shouting, “get out, get out”!

I quickly realised things were wrong and that we were in serious trouble and that we had to get out of the glider. I was terrified and started shaking, I didn’t dare look down, I looked to the right and noticed that the wing was no longer there. I was thinking of my parents, family and girlfriend and what would they think if I was to die. I had to help myself, there was nothing that Peter could do to control the situation or save us, we were on our own and had to save ourselves. I looked down and managed to twist the buckle on the seatbelt that was holding me into the seat of the glider, stand up and jump free.

Luckily I was wearing a parachute. I found the ripcord and pulled it as I left the glider.

It was a nice feeling to look up and see that the parachute had opened successfully. I looked down and saw that Peters parachute had also opened but that he was quite a way down because I understand he had had trouble opening his chute.

For a moment, I was enjoying the relief of getting out. I looked down and there were bits of wreckage falling. I looked up and there were still bits of wreckage above me, which was worrying as I was scared it might fall and damage the chute.

I saw Peter land heavily in a field and tried to wave to him to let him know I was ok but he wasn’t moving. The GQ parachute that saved me was a round type and not controllable you just go where the wind blows you.

I remember seeing some electricity pylons below and was panicking because I thought I might hit them. Luckily I crossed over them then over a road. I was shouting and waving at people on the ground to let them know that I was still alive as I was coming down.

On the other side of the road there was a disused petrol station. I landed on the roof of it. It was a tin roof that gave a little as I landed.

Although I was on fairly firm ground I was still not out of trouble. I knew that the thing that had saved my life could now put it back in danger. I was strapped into the harness of the parachute with 4 buckles that I quickly undone and threw the harness away from me before the parachute had time to fill with air and drag me off of the roof.

From there I was able to climb down a wall and onto the ground, where some people helped me to calm down. Someone gave me a cup of tea, but most of it went over the floor as I was shaking so much!

Peter and I were taken to hospital in an ambulance where Peter spent a few days recovering from surgery to repair a broken ankle. I was released the same day with just minor scratches, bruises and perforated eardrums.

The wreckage of the glider was taken to the Air Accident Investigation Branch in Farnborough laid out and pieced back together. It was concluded by the investigators and lightning experts that the lightning bolt that stuck the glider was one of the most powerful ever recorded. It was a positive (+) strike the most powerfull type and up to six times the level that even passenger aircraft are designed to tolerate. Six times!

It was whilst waiting in hospital that I began to realise how lucky I had been. I saw a man in a muddy football strip having his leg set in plaster. I thought I have been struck by lightning, fallen from the sky, landed on the roof of a petrol station and still less injured than him.