Glider destroyed by lightning

Old February 1st 09, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Glider destroyed by lightning

"Cooperman" wrote

Yes I am new to this forum thingy. I found this group on Google group
search that’s why I registered with Google and posted my message
there.

I realise that you may get a lot of spam etc...

I do not wish to appear shady so I am asking that donations do NOT be
sent.

Instead I hope you find my story interesting and comment on that.

I thank those who have donated including my friends, family, gliding
clubs/members from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales as well as
donations received from the USA and recently from Canada. Your
messages of support have been welcome. These can all be viewed at the
bottom of my fundraising page.
Together you have helped raise £466.79 (inc Gift Aid) = Approximately
£440 directly to the charity after justgiving have taken there admin
fee.

I would rather discussions were focused on the events that day in
1999, the findings of the air accident investigation report, the
strength of the lightning that is now known to be out there and my
return to the sky in a glider for an aerobatic flight rather than my
motives or character.

It was found that the lightning that stuck the glider that I flew in
was up to six times the strength that passenger planes are built to
withstand with minimal damage, SIX TIMES!
Be safe up there!
********************************

Reply from Jim:

What he was saying, is that you should use the newsreader in your browser to
access this group and others through your internet service provider -
directly, rather than Google Groups.

For what it is worth, some here appreciate what you are trying to do. Good
luck.

Perhaps you should pursue flying on your own, by starting to get your own
glider or pilot license (certificate)?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 1st 09, 02:51 PM
Graeme Cooper Graeme Cooper is offline
Junior Member

Location: Taunton, Somerst, England

Reply from Jim:

What he was saying, is that you should use the newsreader in your browser to
access this group and others through your internet service provider -
directly, rather than Google Groups.

For what it is worth, some here appreciate what you are trying to do. Good
luck.

Perhaps you should pursue flying on your own, by starting to get your own
glider or pilot license (certificate)?
--
Jim in NC[/quote]

Hi Jim,

I am replying to this through my previous login details in Aviation Bant...

I am still not sure if this is the host website or not? I had posted messages before on Aviation B under the heading 'The BIG 40 reach for the skies again' and had no problems.

I thought Google groups was a different forum as there is no mention of Aviation B on it anywhere.

Hopefully you can now see that I am not SPAM!!! although I do wonder how many spammers actually reply to messages.

Can we now put a line through that and talk aviation instead please!!!.

OH DEAR I AM JUST REACHING 40 AND ALREADY SOUNDING LIKE A OLD MAN!

Thanks for your message of good luck Jim.

I think after my return to the Sky in April 2009 I will be keeping my feet firmly on the ground. I did enjoy my first and last glider flight and in a strange way I also enjoyed the unexpected parachute jump but it was only ever going to be a one off flight. Finances and family commitment would not allow me to pursue it further.

Had any one heard of my accident previously?

Has anyone seen my scrapbook of the days events 10 years ago? or the reconstructions on TV, What do you think?

Please be gentle with me.
Graeme
Old February 2nd 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Graeme Cooper wrote:

Had any one heard of my accident previously?

I had, although I'm a glider pilot and in that community it's hard to
avoid hearing about it. I very much appreciate you telling your story.
It's certainly an amazing experience you had, and it's good of you to
share your memories with us.

I must admit that my first reaction to your message was that it was some
kind of commercial pitch, but I read a bit further and realized my
mistake.

It's great that you're willing to go up again. I think many people would
give up on the idea for good after a first flight like that!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old February 2nd 09, 12:53 PM
Graeme Cooper Graeme Cooper is offline
Junior Member

Location: Taunton, Somerst, England

[QUOTE.
It's great that you're willing to go up again. I think many people would
give up on the idea for good after a first flight like that!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Broadcasting from our climate-controlled studios deep inside the Moon[/quote]

Mike thanks for believing in me!.
I hadn’t realised that news of this had reached the moon already, the word is certainly spreading. You will have to give me travel directions of how you got there, maybe that is something I could try and organise for my 50th birthday but don’t worry I will not be mentioning it in any forums again!
All the best
Graeme
Old February 2nd 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Graeme Cooper wrote:

I hadn’t realised that news of this had reached the moon already, the
word is certainly spreading. You will have to give me travel directions
of how you got there, maybe that is something I could try and organise
for my 50th birthday but don’t worry I will not be mentioning it in any
forums again!

Sorry, but it is a secret base, you know.

I hope you enjoy flight #2, and that you are able to see what a landing
looks like this time around!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old February 2nd 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Feb 3, 1:53*am, Graeme Cooper Graeme.Cooper.
wrote:
.
It's great that you're willing to go up again. I think many people would
give up on the idea for good after a first flight like that!

After reading the accident report all I can say is he has to fly
again.
Just make sure that there isn't a Cu in that part of the sky
Old February 2nd 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

george wrote:

After reading the accident report all I can say is he has to fly
again.
Just make sure that there isn't a Cu in that part of the sky

Hard to avoid when flying a glider...
Old February 2nd 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Feb 3, 11:28*am, John Smith wrote:
george wrote:
After reading the accident report all I can say is he has to fly
again.
Just make sure that there isn't a Cu in that part of the sky

Hard to avoid when flying a glider...

True. But not on a trial flight...
Old February 3rd 09, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

george wrote:
After reading the accident report all I can say is he has to fly
again.
Just make sure that there isn't a Cu in that part of the sky

Hard to avoid when flying a glider...

True. But not on a trial flight...

Depends on what you think a glider trial flight should look like. Mine
usually last, passenger stomac permitting, about two hours to
demonstrate what glider flying is really about. (And, passenger stomac
permitting, they usually end with a loop and a turn or two, to
demonstrate the meaning of 3-dimensional. Most passengers like it.)
Old February 3rd 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

george wrote:
After reading the accident report all I can say is he has to fly
again.
Just make sure that there isn't a Cu in that part of the sky
Hard to avoid when flying a glider...

True. But not on a trial flight...

Depends on what you think a glider trial flight should look like. Mine
usually last, passenger stomac permitting, about two hours to demonstrate
what glider flying is really about. (And, passenger stomac permitting,
they usually end with a loop and a turn or two, to demonstrate the meaning
of 3-dimensional. Most passengers like it.)

John,

Your point about the duration of your introductory or re-introductory
flights almost earned you a place in my "save" folder in case you later
turned out to be located somewhere near my path of travel--since my
introduction was long ago and only about 20 minutes. However, your envelope
address and lack of a sig-line negated what might have been a successfull
use of "web 2.0"

IWIW
Peter

Glider destroyed by lightning [email protected] Soaring 9 May 16th 09 04:59 PM
B-17 destroyed on Hickham Field Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 November 8th 06 11:32 PM
Destroyed Aircraft john smith Piloting 3 October 30th 05 01:33 AM
Reconstructing lost/destroyed DD-214s Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 February 16th 04 02:46 AM
Reconstructing lost/destroyed DD-214s Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 December 25th 03 05:37 AM