lightning stikes a ASK21

Old April 15th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default lightning stikes a ASK21

bumper wrote:

I understand that carbon fiber explodes when struck even without metal
control rods to heat up and expand the air within the wing. The carbon does
a fine job of heating and turning moisture into steam

I haven't see a full-size composite aircraft that had a lightening
strike, but I have seen several carbon-structure model aircraft that
landed across power transmission cables. The carbon extracts enough
current from the lines to ignite the epoxy matrix, but doesn't burn
itself. The end result is that the structure is converted to a sort of
tassel of fine, shiny black fibers with no structural integrity or rigidity.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old April 15th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sally W

At 18:24 15 April 2007, Charles Yeates wrote:

Wasn't there a two-place glider in England destroyed
in the air by a
lightening strike? I recall control rods in the wing
fused and the
fibreglass 'exploded' Both aboard succssfully bailed
out -- the
passenger was on his first ride but had been briefed.
Good thing, eh?

If you look back through the thread you will find a
link to the AAIB report.

Old April 16th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

GRP is an insulator. Carbon fiber is a pretty good conductor, but limited by
the resin matrix.

"bagmaker" wrote in message

we know that GRP (glass fibre) has a low conductivity, is carbon fibre
as low?
My understanding was the glues and surrounds of the fibres are the
problem, the varios fibres themselves act as a lightglobe type
resistor, rapidly heating, then the resins go booooomph.

Any experts?

bagger

--
bagmaker

Old January 8th 09, 11:40 PM
Graeme Cooper Graeme Cooper is offline
Junior Member

Location: Taunton, Somerst, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeplane View Post
There is an article in this month of "Business & Commercial Aviation"
regarding lightning.

It says that in 1999, a ASK21 desintegrated large sections of the
fuselage, while flying in clear air, about 800 yards from a cloud.
Both pilots were ejected from the strike, but fortunately were wearing
parachutes.

Has nayone heard this before? Do you know someone who had a lightning
strike in a glider before?
I am just curious as I never heard of this before.
Hi my name is Graeme Cooper and I was the student in the front seat of the glider that day that was destroyed by the lightning. Please visit my justgiving webpage to see what I am planning next! http://www.justgiving.com/big40reachfortheskiesagain
Please help me to raise awareness and funds for the Parkinson's Disease Society by sending the above address to anyone who you think may like to see it and read my story. Thank you

10 years ago I was given a gift certificate from Caroline my Girlfriend (now my wife) for a days gliding at the London Gliding Club to celebrate my 30th Birthday. It was to become a day that I will never forget.

I had been up about 6 times that day in the front seat of a 2-seat glider and was having a fantastic time. Our last flight of the day was coming to an end. We had been flying for about an hour riding the thermals, enjoying the views and I had even taken control of the joystick and pedals on occasions. On the way back to the airfield we noticed a very black cloud off to our right but nothing to worry about.

In a split second everything had changed. I remember talking to the instructor (Peter Goldstraw) when there was a tremendous bang, the plane jolted and it felt as if a missile had hit us. Eyewitnesses say they saw a ball of lightning streak across the sky and hit our glider.

I think I may have been hit on the head by the Perspex canopy getting blown off from its seating as I was confused and was seeing stars. My ears were ringing from the explosion as the force of the blast had perforated both of my eardrums.

Peter was shouting something but it just seemed like mumbling because I couldn’t hear anything. He later explained he was shouting, “get out, get out”!

I quickly realised things were wrong and that we were in serious trouble and that we had to get out of the glider. I was terrified and started shaking, I didn’t dare look down, I looked to the right and noticed that the wing was no longer there. I was thinking of my parents, family and girlfriend and what would they think if I was to die. I had to help myself, there was nothing that Peter could do to control the situation or save us, we were on our own and had to save ourselves. I looked down and managed to twist the buckle on the seatbelt that was holding me into the seat of the glider, stand up and jump free.

Luckily I was wearing a parachute. I found the ripcord and pulled it as I left the glider.

It was a nice feeling to look up and see that the parachute had opened successfully. I looked down and saw that Peters parachute had also opened but that he was quite a way down because I understand he had had trouble opening his chute.

For a moment, I was enjoying the relief of getting out. I looked down and there were bits of wreckage falling. I looked up and there were still bits of wreckage above me, which was worrying as I was scared it might fall and damage the chute.

I saw Peter land heavily in a field and tried to wave to him to let him know I was ok but he wasn’t moving. The GQ parachute that saved me was a round type and not controllable you just go where the wind blows you.

I remember seeing some electricity pylons below and was panicking because I thought I might hit them. Luckily I crossed over them then over a road. I was shouting and waving at people on the ground to let them know that I was still alive as I was coming down.

On the other side of the road there was a disused petrol station. I landed on the roof of it. It was a tin roof that gave a little as I landed.

Although I was on fairly firm ground I was still not out of trouble. I knew that the thing that had saved my life could now put it back in danger. I was strapped into the harness of the parachute with 4 buckles that I quickly undone and threw the harness away from me before the parachute had time to fill with air and drag me off of the roof.

From there I was able to climb down a wall and onto the ground, where some people helped me to calm down. Someone gave me a cup of tea, but most of it went over the floor as I was shaking so much!

Peter and I were taken to hospital in an ambulance where Peter spent a few days recovering from surgery to repair a broken ankle. I was released the same day with just minor scratches, bruises and perforated eardrums.

The wreckage of the glider was taken to the Air Accident Investigation Branch in Farnborough laid out and pieced back together. It was concluded by the investigators and lightning experts that the lightning bolt that stuck the glider was one of the most powerful ever recorded. It was a positive (+) strike the most powerfull type and up to six times the level that even passenger aircraft are designed to tolerate. Six times!

It was whilst waiting in hospital that I began to realise how lucky I had been. I saw a man in a muddy football strip having his leg set in plaster. I thought I have been struck by lightning, fallen from the sky, landed on the roof of a petrol station and still less injured than him.
Old April 26th 09, 10:15 PM
Graeme Cooper Graeme Cooper is offline
Junior Member

Location: Taunton, Somerst, England
Smile

Well I did it. See my scrapbook of the days events of 10 years ago that has just been updated to include photos of my return to the sky:-
http://sites.google.com/site/thebig4...attredirects=0

Thanks to all those who supported me in this for your messages of support and donations. You have helped me to help the Parkinson's Disease Society help others. The total raised so far is over £1500!

I will leave you in your aviation world, My feet are safer on the ground!

All the best and

Thank you
Regards

Graeme Cooper
Old May 16th 09, 05:03 PM
Graeme Cooper Graeme Cooper is offline
Junior Member

Location: Taunton, Somerst, England

Sorry its me again, I have updated my scrapbook to include the TV and radio interviews of my return flight and a film of the reconstruction if you are interested. See :- http://sites.google.com/site/thebig4...theskiesagain/

Bye for now
Graeme Cooper

Lightning anyone? Frode Berg Piloting 11 May 16th 09 05:04 PM
F-35 Lightning II No Name Aviation Photos 4 December 17th 06 12:49 AM
ASK21 vs G103 solo89 Soaring 13 October 23rd 03 07:15 PM