kevlar in fuselage

Old January 19th 05, 06:23 PM
Rick Walters

Default kevlar in fuselage

Hi Stewart,

The Ventus CM introduced in 1989 used a carbon fuselage
with a carbon /
kevlar fabric in the bottom of the seat area only.
The carbon fuselage
was to save weight for the motorglider, but the kevlar
was for crash
protection. The kevlar / carbon layer is visible on
the inside, so I assume
it is the last layer in the layup. This would make
it feasible to add a layer
to your glider.

The newer cockpits are much stronger with rails below
the canopy and
stiffer layups. The curved canopy of the ASW 24, 26,
27, 28 is an
important part of a safety cockpit because it reduces
the weak point that
the other sailplanes have at the sharp corners of the
canopy frame. Much
testing has gone into the new fuselage designs. The
new LS10 uses a
curved canopy frame as well.

Rick Walters

Old January 20th 05, 10:59 PM

The Pegase 101 CC (a carbon spar version of the 101A) manufactured in
1983, used kevlar extensively in the cockpit area.

I don't know whether Marc Ranjon did this for crashworthiness, though
it wouldn't surprise me. Marc was putting winglets on ASW-20s and
Pegases in 1981. Forward thinker. Most of his contemporaries required
10+ years of convincing.

Old January 20th 05, 10:59 PM

The Pegase 101 CC (a carbon spar version of the 101A) manufactured in
1983, used kevlar extensively in the cockpit area.

I don't know whether Marc Ranjon did this for crashworthiness, though
it wouldn't surprise me. Marc was putting winglets on ASW-20s and
Pegases in 1981. Forward thinker. Most of his contemporaries required
10+ years of convincing.

IS-28 Fuselage Construction smjmitchell Soaring 5 December 31st 03 02:07 AM
LS4 - LS6 Fuselage size Mark Soaring 15 November 3rd 03 03:47 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM
Fitting canopy frame to fuselage advice Deputy Dog Soaring 5 July 27th 03 04:08 AM