Strop design

Old July 20th 05, 12:49 PM
Edward Weaver

Default Strop design

Has anyone got experience of using Orange Boat Fenders
in the strop configuration to help with visability
when looking for broken strops.

I would intend to fit this by the weak link having
the additional benefit of lifting the weak links of
the ground and reducing wear and battering.

My possible concern is storing energy and therefore
pinging back at the glider on failure of the weak link
if fitted in series

Would there be an issue with having a fender attatched
only at one end and therefore not in the circuit.

Old July 20th 05, 03:29 PM
01-- Zero One

My friend, we are truly "separated by a common language"!

I haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

Larry

"Edward Weaver" wrote in
message :

Old July 20th 05, 04:07 PM
John Galloway

Energy storage by the fender wouldn't be an issue if
the winch launch weak link strop ran through the fender.

Boat fenders are quite big and hard. I wouldn't accept
a launch with a fender on the strop if for no other
reason than if the weak link broke the fender would
damage my glider as it was blown back before I managed
to pull the release. Also if someone mistook a high
weak link break for a back release and then flew around
before realising the strop was still attached and then
decided to release it a dropping boat fender would
be likely to cause a serious injury if it hit somebody
on the ground.

John Galloway

Old July 20th 05, 06:03 PM
Bill Daniels

He's writing about winch cable rigging at the glider end. When a weak link
breaks, the "strop" (A 20 meter or so lead rope from the glider to the top
of the cable parachute.) drops somewhere on the airfield with valuable parts
of the weak link assembly and a Tost ring set still attached. It can be
hard to find in tall grass. It's easier, but somewhat alarming, to find it
with a mower.

I'd suggest that at least parts of the strop might be coated with a liquid
urethane material mountain climbers call "rope dope". It is available in
bright florescent colors and also serves to stiffen the strop while
protecting it from wear. I'd be careful about messing with the Tost weak
link assembly since its proper function is critical to safety.

Bill Daniels