LSO Stopwatches

Old December 8th 04, 06:18 AM
F9pnthr

Default LSO Stopwatches

The cover of current issue of The Hook shows four LSOs, two of whom are using
their stopwatches. For what part of the landing are they starting and stopping
their watches?
Old December 8th 04, 06:30 AM
Larry

"F9pnthr" wrote in message
The cover of current issue of The Hook shows four LSOs, two of whom are

using
their stopwatches. For what part of the landing are they starting and

stopping
their watches?

I've not seen that picture but I'd be willing to bet they are not holding
stopwatches. They should be holding the 'pickle' that controls the waveoff
lights (in one hand) and a mic (to communicate with the pilot over the
radio) in the other.

That is if I recall my EAWS correctly.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'

Old December 8th 04, 09:07 PM
nafod40

F9pnthr wrote:
The cover of current issue of The Hook shows four LSOs, two of whom are using
their stopwatches. For what part of the landing are they starting and stopping
their watches?

Those are actually mirrors they are gazing at.

"Man, look at that cool tan."

Old December 9th 04, 01:02 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 12/8/04 2:27 PM, in article , "John
Carrier" wrote:

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 12/8/04 12:18 AM, in article
, "F9pnthr"
wrote:

The cover of current issue of The Hook shows four LSOs, two of whom are
using
their stopwatches. For what part of the landing are they starting and
stopping
their watches?

At least one back up paddles or writer will time groove length for the
pass
(15-17 seconds) and interval. That's part of the debrief.

Wow, times change. They run a clock vice trust the controlling LSO's
judgement?

Trick is... Where does the groove start? e.g. wings level slimin' over on a
(AA)?

Outside of 21 seconds, and you'll get a fair for LIG (Long in the Groove).
Inside of 11 and you'll get a fair for NESA (not enough straightaway).

No more attaboys for a combat groove, eh?

As long as it's greater than 11 seconds you're okay. Oh yes, I sort of
misspoke. It's an automatic DOWNGRADE if you goon up groove length.

R / John

I sympathize. I remember LSO's eyeball-checking groove length and interval,
but my last cruise was the first I've ever seen the stop watch. Again with
the fuzzy definition of where the groove starts, I sort of looked at that
stat with a jaundiced eye.

In the past, the boss was the guy that cared about interval, so he was the
one hammering guys if they were too tight on the jet in front of them. Now
paddles is in on the game too.

Finally, the SH break (stern or prior doing big bills on the speed) will
still buy you an upgrade if you don't screw up your groove, interval, or fly
a heinous pass (and depending on the boss's mood).

--Woody

Old December 9th 04, 02:16 AM
Mike Kanze

Woody,

In the past, the boss was the guy that cared about interval, so he was the
one hammering guys if they were too tight on the jet in front of them. Now
paddles is in on the game too.

During the Lizards' 1973 CORAL MARU cruise, one of the duties of our rep in
Pri-Fly was to jot down the arrestment-to-arrestment time interval between
each Lizard and his immediate predecessor. Lizard OPS tracked this until
about halfway through cruise, and used the data as a supplement to each
pilot's LSO-graded pass.

I thought this an excellent idea, especially as we were all but an outfit of
nuggets (the Lizards stood up as an A-6 outfit only the year before).
Further, our predecessor A-6 squadron in CVW-15, VMA(AW)-224, had had a
rather checkered deployment during CORAL MARU's 1972 cruise, so we knew that
we would be under close observation until we re-established the worthiness
of medium attack in folks' eyes.

Another thing that helped our reputation immediately with the ships company
was our scraping all the "Semper Fi" zaps and other Corps graffiti from the
Bengal's spaces (now ours). Only Gator blackshoes have the temperament to
deal with lots of red and gold on gray ships. g
--
Mike Kanze

"Never forget ... Being your own boss means being your own janitor."

- Adam @ Home, 3/27/04

Old December 9th 04, 02:08 PM
Pechs1

John writes- Wow, times change. They run a clock vice trust the controlling
LSO's
judgement?
BRBR

No more attaboys for a combat groove, eh? BRBR

I say, no kiddin'....I saw a pic of a bunch of them looking at a video screen
also for lineup...even on smallish decks. Oh well...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 9th 04, 02:10 PM
Pechs1

Nafod- Those are actually mirrors they are gazing at.

"Man, look at that cool tan." BRBR

Yep but who taught the LSOs how to read time, or write for that matter?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)