Remote power control

Old January 28th 04, 03:49 PM
Paul Tomblin

Default Remote power control

Last month in "GA News" there was a brief mention of a system that allowed
you to turn on a power plug by calling a pager or cell phone. I was
interested in it for controlling the Tanis heater on my plane, but a
friend at work was describing needing something similar for his cottage to
turn on the heat and stuff when he's coming up for the weekend. Does
anybody know what I'm talking about, and can you give me a URL or a
company name?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
In an experiment to determine the precise amount of beer required to enjoy
Old January 28th 04, 04:13 PM
Marco Leon

It's the Beeper Box: http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Beeper%20Box%20pg%201.htm

Have you looked into the ThermoCube? It turns on when the temperature drops
below a certain threshhold. Sporty's sell it I believe.

Good Luck,
Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 28th 04, 04:21 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net said:
It's the Beeper Box: http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Beeper%20Box%20pg%201.htm

Have you looked into the ThermoCube? It turns on when the temperature drops
below a certain threshhold. Sporty's sell it I believe.

I don't want to heat up the airplane every day if I only fly once in a
week.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
Old January 28th 04, 04:55 PM
Michelle P

Paul,
if you handy with electricity go to your local Electrical or heating and
AC supply house. Buy a temperature controlled switch/contactor. They can
go from $30-100 dollars.
I bought one that is double throw and can turn on when the temp falls or
rises. It is used in the heating/AC industry to switch between Heat and AC.
Michelle

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Last month in "GA News" there was a brief mention of a system that allowed
you to turn on a power plug by calling a pager or cell phone. I was
interested in it for controlling the Tanis heater on my plane, but a
friend at work was describing needing something similar for his cottage to
turn on the heat and stuff when he's coming up for the weekend. Does
anybody know what I'm talking about, and can you give me a URL or a
company name?

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old January 28th 04, 05:41 PM
Marco Leon

According to Tanis, keeping their heater on 24/7 will not harm anything
(besides your electric bill) as long as you fly about once a week for a
long-enough duration and temp to burn off the moisture. If not, then the
pager option would probably be the best one.

I unfortunately don't have an electrical source at my new tie-down so I
can't use my Tanis heater {:-(

Old January 28th 04, 05:41 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net said:
According to Tanis, keeping their heater on 24/7 will not harm anything
(besides your electric bill) as long as you fly about once a week for a

Yeah, that's the kicker, isn't it? The pager controlled one would pay for
itself in lower electric bills in a season here.

long-enough duration and temp to burn off the moisture. If not, then the
pager option would probably be the best one.

The weather we've had in Rochester the last couple of weeks, the bit about
flying once a week is another problem.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
-- Ferenc Mantfeld
Old January 28th 04, 06:05 PM
Paul Sengupta

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/viewtopic.php?t=5477

Old January 28th 04, 06:29 PM
Jay Masino

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, "Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net said:
It's the Beeper Box: http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Beeper%20Box%20pg%201.htm

Have you looked into the ThermoCube? It turns on when the temperature drops
below a certain threshhold. Sporty's sell it I believe.

I don't want to heat up the airplane every day if I only fly once in a
week.

Paul,
Incidentally, this topic was discussed some time in the last year.
Nevertheless, is your "once a week" always on the same day (like
Saturday)? If so, getting a digital timer that lets you specify the
day of the week would probably work. That's what I do. I have the heater
turn on every Saturday morning at 3 or 4 AM, and stay on till noon. That
way, whenever I get over to the airport on Saturday, the engine is warm.
And of course, it doesn't turn the heater on the other 6 days. I guess
you could combine it with one of the thermo-cubes to allow you to specify
both a day of the week AND a temperature. Anyway, I bought this one...
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/77hydro-...rasdigtim.html
and it's been working out well.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old January 28th 04, 06:59 PM
Marco Leon

After I posted, I thought to myself, "Damn, I wish *I* was flying once a
week!" I'm in Long Island so we've had similar (but not identical) weather
patterns.

Old January 28th 04, 07:05 PM
Marco Leon

Hey, that's a great idea! I am assuming that you have a hangar since the
timer doesn't look very weather-proof. I suppose if I ever convince the
hangar next to my spot to let me pay for use of their electricity I can
always house the timer in my plastic lockbox.

Marco