A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Inertial sensing in Butterfly Vario, TE vs Airmass indicators

Old May 24th 13, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics
external usenet poster

Default Inertial sensing in Butterfly Vario, TE vs Airmass indicators

I put this into a new topic in order not to SPAM other topics where this question came up.

I thought that a vario needed to use the 3-D inertial sensor to sort out the horizontal and vertical components of "gusts", and I thought that nobody was doing that just yet. Or does the inertial sensor just make the filtering better?

Well, actually a vario is an energy difference indicator. Many people (at least here in europe) want to know if total energy changes, even if the energy addition is due to a gust rather than thermal updraft. The vario needle in Butterfly Vario remains the "energy difference indicator" just as you are used to (inertial sensors are used here to e.g. acceleration induced errors etc..)

We have another indicator (blue round indicator) that indicates vertical airmass movement (kind of a that what was called netto vario in the past, but determined differently). The vertical airmass indicator is based on the inertial reference system and therefore will not show horizontal gust-induced energy changes (this can be mixed with conventional netto and tuned by many factors taking installation etc. into account).

This way you get both. Precise energy difference indication and indication of vertical airmass. Both indicators together give you a good situational overview. You know where the energy change comes from. Knowing if its worth slowing down to thermal or if the energy addition you just experienced is due to a gust is a very cool thing, especially when flying heavy gliders.
Old May 25th 13, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The airmass indicator looks interesting. I have a couple questions

Can one set the audio to reflect the airmass indicator instead of the vario indicator, and would one even want to?

Is the airmass indicator useful when thermalling or only in cruise?

Thanks

Old May 27th 13, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Saturday, 25 May 2013 03:02:54 UTC+3, wrote:
The airmass indicator looks interesting. I have a couple questions

Can one set the audio to reflect the airmass indicator instead of the vario indicator, and would one even want to?

Actually that would be interesting, currently audioscheme uses only TE vario/sc (I like the audioscheme, you can set the sc-audio to automatically change to vario-audio when hitting lift mc/2).

Also, configuring inertial netto to be normal variometer would be only a matter of subtracting polar sink from netto value.

Is the airmass indicator useful when thermalling or only in cruise?

Definitely both.

krasw
Old May 27th 13, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Marc,
Is it possible to create a "dead band" for the audio in cruise when at or near the correct speed.
Dale.
Old May 28th 13, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 27, 2013 10:47:45 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Marc,

Is it possible to create a "dead band" for the audio in cruise when at or near the correct speed.

Dale.

Yep this is possible. You can set individual deadbands for cruise-mode and climb-mode and also asymmetrical (e.g. +0.4 to -0.1).

Cheers
Marc
Old May 29th 13, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Where on the menu do you find the settings for dead band?
Thanks, Dale
Old May 29th 13, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:41:28 AM UTC+2, wrote:
Where on the menu do you find the settings for dead band?

Thanks, Dale

In the latest version, go into the menu setup device

Cheers
Marc
Old June 2nd 13, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks Marc
I found the dead band settings per your instructions. Could you give me suggested settings for a somewhat wide dead band when in the cruise mode, both above and below center. While flying today I tried many numbers both positive and negative, and didn't really achieve any significant change in the very narrow dead bend as shipped. What do the + and - numbers actually represent? Is there a list of functions that are shared between front and back instruments, and those that are individual to each unit? For instance QNH changes by either instrument will change the second, but infobox settings are unique to each vario and can be individually tailored. Is the dead band function individual or master/slave?
Thanks again

Dale Bush
Old June 3rd 13, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

Dear Dale,

when having a two-seater installation always the settings of the device with the speaker take effect. So you will have to adjust the deadband in this device.

Other settings like volume, QNH, NAV-target, MC are kept up-to-date in both units.

Best wishes
Marc
Old June 3rd 13, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks again,

I use both speakers when flying my ASH25. On my last flight I had the rear seat passenger turn his volume completely down and attempted to set the dead band on my unit. Changing the numbers plus or minus up to 100 seemed to make no difference. Do I need to disable one of the speakers or perhaps set it from the back seat? Does increasing positive or negative numbers increase the wide band?

Dale