electrical smokepod ignition wiring

Old April 28th 12, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roel Baardman

Default electrical smokepod ignition wiring

Hi,

I'm in the process of install the wiring to electrically ignite smokepods on the wingtips of my Pilatus B4.
I currently have small holes in the plates at my wingtip and wingroot, and a small metal wire is pulled through the most-front hole in the wing-ribbs. This
was all performed by a certified maintainer.
I can now choose what wires to run through the wings, what connectors to use etc etc.

Therefore I'm wondering what other (aerobatic) gliders have installed, and particularly:
- What kind of connector (chassis or normal) do you use at the wing-root?
- What kind of connector (chassis or normal) do you use at the wingtip?
- How do you prevent the installed wire from disappearing inside the wing, where you cannot reach it?

regards,

Roel
Old April 30th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

On Apr 28, 7:28*am, Roel Baardman wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the process of install the wiring to electrically ignite smokepods on the wingtips of my Pilatus B4.
I currently have small holes in the plates at my wingtip and wingroot, and a small metal wire is pulled through the most-front hole in the wing-ribbs. This
was all performed by a certified maintainer.
I can now choose what wires to run through the wings, what connectors to use etc etc.

Therefore I'm wondering what other (aerobatic) gliders have installed, and particularly:
- What kind of connector (chassis or normal) do you use at the wing-root?
- What kind of connector (chassis or normal) do you use at the wingtip?
- How do you prevent the installed wire from disappearing inside the wing, where you cannot reach it?

regards,

Roel

Why not just chose any standard 2 conductor connector? Even audio
jacks and plugs would work as the current to ignite is very low,
about 350 mA. If you put a jack on both ends then the wire will be
safe inside the wing and not disappear.
Old May 3rd 12, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Connectors - I have really fallen in love with PowerPole connectors.
They are robust, don't disconnect inadvertantly, and are infinitely
variable as to configuration or the number of connections. See my
report at http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/...etterNov11.pdf.
See instructions at http://www.wb3w.net/powerpoleinst.htm.

As to loosing the wires in the wing. I assume you mean that if the
connector is not connected to something, then the wire might fall back
into the wing. It would make sense that you need to tie it off to
something much the same way as water bags are tied off. Add a string
to the connector/wire and tie it to something. I am not familiar with
the Pilatus but I believe that it is all metal so a simple sheet metal
screw into a rib might work. Otherwise an adhesive cable tie anchor
would be less instrusive (http://www.amazon.com/B1PSSM100-1-Inch-
Adhesive-Screw-100-Pack/dp/B005LTJ4PW).

Good luck and be sure to report back (with pictures).

- John
Old May 5th 12, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 5/3/2012 11:03 AM, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Connectors - I have really fallen in love with PowerPole connectors.
They are robust, don't disconnect inadvertantly, and are infinitely
variable as to configuration or the number of connections. See my
report at http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/...etterNov11.pdf.
See instructions at http://www.wb3w.net/powerpoleinst.htm.

I agree. In the ham radio community, Anderson Powerpoles have become the
defacto standard power connectors - and for good reasons. The down side
is that in order to do a *really* good job, you need a good crimping
tool - about US$50. You can do a reasonable job with less expensive
crimpers. See also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PBBd-ssoeY

Tony V. LS6-b "6N" - W1DYS
Old May 5th 12, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roel Baardman

The problem is not finding the right connectors, but more figuring out if I'm
going to drill in my wingtip etc.

I am lucky enough to get Lemo or Souriau connectors with the appropriate tools.
These are mil-specced connectors, so have all the features I need (pulling the
wire will only tension the mantle, good locking mechanism, etc).

For example: how to connect a chassis-type Souriau connector to the wingtip? The
chassis-connector has 2 holes. Should I screw them to the wingtip with screws that
require no drilling? Or use blind rivets?

Roel