Collision Avoidance Systems

Old September 1st 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Collision Avoidance Systems

Ramy wrote:
Kirk, will a TPAS which can only receive mode A,C, and S will detect
any military aircraft?

Ramy,

In peacetime all military flights (caveat - my experience is AF, Navy
and Army may be different) are on IFR flightplans, so will be squawking
Mode 3/C (same as mode A/C). During certain phases of flight, they may
cancel and go VFR, but will still be squawking mode 3C/1200, just like
everyone else. Some newer jets may have mode S installed (C-17? F-22?)
in which case that would be on also.

It's possible during training in restricted airspace that mode 3 (and
S) may be turned off (so the other guy can't find you with his onboard
interrogator) but there shouldn't be any civilian traffic in that
airspace.

Other military modes (1, 2, and 4) are used as tactics and conditions
require, but are not required. More than likely they would be on
during routine flight to and from bombing ranges and restricted
airspace, and while using MOAs, so that other military planes equipped
with IFF interrogators can see and identify them.

Short answer - yes!

Hope this helps,

Kirk
66

Old September 2nd 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I bought a Zaon MRX earlier this year and I have been very pleased. It
is a small, passive system that only requires me to turn it on before
flight and turn it off after the flight is over. I bought it at Wings
and Wheels for approx $ 500.00 and I do feel that it a very valuable
safety device that folks should really consider purchasing, especially
for those operating in areas with a fair amount of commercial jet
and/or general aviation traffic. I operate out of Moriarty, NM (30 NM
East of Albuquerque, NM) and we have a fair amount of jet traffic
descending toward the Albuquerque International Sunport or climbing out
on departure. The MRX has really worked very well alerting me to
aircraft that get within 5 NM and 5,000 feet! - 3R

Old September 2nd 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rory,
Flying level or turning in a thermal, the MRX seems to work just fine!
- 3R

Rory O'Conor wrote:
John, Raul and other MRX users

How does the MRX perform when thermalling?
The manual suggests that the aerial should be vertical
for good reception and for the software calculations.

Does it give the right sort of readout, and beep at
the right time when you are thermalling?

Rory

At 13:30 30 August 2006, Jcarlyle wrote:

Zaon MRX - This was the one I bought.

Old September 2nd 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rory wrote: How does the MRX perform when thermalling?

My observation so far is that it performs the same while thermalling
and cruising.

Rory wrote: Does it give the right sort of readout, and beep at the
right time when you are thermalling?

Yes.

Old September 3rd 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron (RW)

On 30 Aug 2006 06:25:18 -0700, "jcarlyle" wrote:

Last week, before the Minden midair, I reviewed Collision Avoidance
Systems with the intent of putting one in my transponder-less ASW-19. I
was interested in such a system because my glider club lies inside the
Mode C veil of PHL, because an active military air base is 5 miles
away, and because there are several airways that lie within several
miles of us. Here's the result of my research; I hope it might be of
help to others.

Zaon MRX - This was the one I bought. Pros - shows threat distance
and height; receives civilian signals A, C, S and 3/A, as well as
military signals X, Y and 2; alerts are visual and aural (high pitched
beeps); uses internal power (but can use aircraft power); is the
smallest system available; can be panel mounted with remote antenna.
Cons - does not show threat direction; doesn't output threats via
RS232 to PocketPC type devices. List price $499

Zaon XRX - This is the one I really liked. Pros - shows threat
direction as well as distance and height; receives civilian signals A,
C, S and 3/A, and also military signals X, Y and 2; alerts are visual
and aural (synthesized voice); outputs threats via RS232 to PocketPC
type devices. Cons - needs aircraft power; fairly large and tall, and
must be mounted on the glare shield. Supposedly Zaon will offer a panel
mount version with remote antenna in the future. List price $1795

Proxalert R5 - I rejected this one. Pros - shows threat distance
and height; shows squawk code of three threats (but threats combined if
same squawk); alerts are visual and aural (high pitched beeps); outputs
threats via RS232 to PocketPC type devices; can be panel mounted with
remote antenna. Cons - Combines threats with same squawk code on same
line showing closest threat distance, and flip-flops threat altitude;
needs aircraft power; only receives civilian A, C and S signals; fairly
large and hangs over glare shield lip. I also was turned off by the web
site, when I see poor English in sales literature I can't help but
wonder if the engineering was also done carelessly. List price $795

Monroy ADT-300 - I rejected this one. Pros - shows threat distance
and height (but only if you have an altitude encoding transponder);
alerts are visual and aural (synthesized voice); second smallest
available; can be panel mounted with remote antenna. Cons - Needs
altitude encoding transponder to show threat height; needs aircraft
power; only receives civilian A, C and S signals; doesn't output
threats via RS232 to PocketPC type devices. List price $795

Please note that this list is biased towards my own needs, in a quiet
glider with no transponder, operating with civilian and military
aircraft. You might have different requirements, so do check out the
manufacturer's sites for fuller specs and manuals:
http://www.zaonflight.com/
http://www.monroyaero.com/
http://www.proxalert.com/
A good single reference page to many Collision Avoidance Systems is
he http://www.avionix.com/collis.html
There are also some (fairly old) threads on RAS on this subject; you
might wish to search for them.

Be careful up there!

-John
(I have absolutely no connection or financial interest with any of the
companies named in this message).

I bought my MRX early this season, and I have been very pleased with
it's performance in both level and thermalling flight. The audio
warning could be louder, but is sufficient for sailplane use. The LED
displays are super bright even in bright sun; l catch display changes
in my peripheral vision pretty well as a result. Like the other
posters, I too have been surprised by how much more traffic I see,
especially coming up from behind. It would be the best of all worlds
to have heading info on traffic, but the MRX will at least allow you
to quickly concentrate either above or below the horizon when traffic
is closing. I found that the battery powered arrangement peters out
fast, as I like the display set for bright as it will go. So, I've
hard wired my unit on it's own fuse block, and also have an antenna
extension, that functions well beneath my DG's pedestal shroud. Very
tidy installation. Our Glider Club flies by written agreement within
a moderately busy Class D. It's not departing traffic in close that
worries me, but rather approaching heavy IFR traffic letting down
thru a nice cloud street about 25 miles out. Nothing gets your
attention like bouncing around 500 below cloudbase (of course and
seeing that display light up....... 5 miles, 1000' above..... and
descending. Worth the price of the unit right there Ron
N531RW
Old September 3rd 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jean

The European standard is FLARM - http://www.flarm.com/index_en.html
In Switzerland, Germany and France it looks like 75% of the ships are
equipped,
Jean

Old September 3rd 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Jean,

FLARM is a very nice concept, but it will never, ever be in the US (as
per the manufacturer's wishes). Even if it were, it wouldn't help with
the problem highlighted by the Minden mid-air, unless the manufacturer
embraces the Aussie design and allows it to interact with ADS-B. But,
ADS-B is going to take a number of years before it's in all aircraft.
So really your best bet right now to get a handle on what's in the air
with you is to get one of the collision avoidance systems mentioned at
the top of this thread, so you can keep track of the transponders most
of the powered aircraft carry.

-John

Old September 7th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Yuliy Gerchikov

Default Collision Avoidance Systems FLARM & ADS-B

"jcarlyle" wrote in message
oups.com...
FLARM ... wouldn't help with
the problem highlighted by the Minden mid-air, unless the manufacturer
embraces the Aussie design and allows it to interact with ADS-B. But,
ADS-B is going to take a number of years before it's in all aircraft.

I was always curious: what are the principal differences between FLARM and
ADS-B? (Besides, that is, the fact that one of them is developed by a small
private corporation and the other by large governmental or international
agency(-ies), and therefore both the time-to-market and the total cost of
ownership will be an order or two of magnitude higher for the latter...)

If you excuse my ignorance for a second... Both seem to be doing basically
the same thing: broadcast their GPS coordinates and listen to other units
around them detecting potential conflicts. Ignoring for the moment the
differences in radio frequencies and transmission power levels, as well as
some details of collision detection algorithm that appears to be more tuned
for gliders in FLARM (knowing about thermalling etc.)... are they the same?
--
Yuliy