Transcontinental

Old August 23rd 16, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug[_9_]

Default Transcontinental

Still available online http://www.mediamaxproductions.com/rtkh/

Doug
Old August 23rd 16, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 4:36:03 PM UTC-4, Doug wrote:
Still available online http://www.mediamaxproductions.com/rtkh/
Doug

Now there was some epic silliness.
Don't forget, Eric Raymond flew his original SunSeeker
across the USA on only solar power decades ago...

See ya, Dave
Old August 23rd 16, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:28:51 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 4:36:03 PM UTC-4, Doug wrote:
Still available online http://www.mediamaxproductions.com/rtkh/
Doug

Now there was some epic silliness.
Don't forget, Eric Raymond flew his original SunSeeker
across the USA on only solar power decades ago...

See ya, Dave

Seems like Eric's always been about 20 years ahead of us.
Old August 24th 16, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I've been thinking about it ever since I participated in the return to Kitty Hawk race, which turned into a trailer race at some point.
The only thing stopping me is work. This is the first thing I would like to do once I retire. If I don't own a motorglider by then, I will need a tow plane to follow me, which means will need sponsorship to cover some of the cost.
My plan is to fly coast to coast in 100% soaring. No racing involved. The start of each leg will need to be at the same spot of the end of last leg, or before. Start and end will need to follow FAI requirement for altitude loss to ensure a soaring flight and not a sled ride. Probably some minimum distance as well. Very simple. Some legs may need to be repeated entirely if landing in a field which not suitable for tow. The most important thing is 100% pure soaring from coast to coast. I don't believe this was ever done before.
I figure this is doable in one season, starting from California in May. If soaring conditions cooperate I think it is doable in 1 month or less. Sure it took Alby 6 years, but mostly since it was seating sometime the whole season waiting for tow plane/qualified pilot/crew/perfect weather all to be available at the same time....
Assuming one can tow anytime and is qualified, all you need is good enough weather to make the next airport. Can't be too difficult.
The hardest part may be to find sponsorship?

Ramy
Old August 25th 16, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sounds like it might be a lot of fun. I agree the RTKH turned into a trailer race, and was quite tiring due to the schedule we had to keep.

Seems that most of the legs could be between established glider tow operations especially if we followed the RTKH path. Start could be Santa Ynez with a remote start over the ocean. When we need to launch at a non-glider operation, it should be possible to arrange for a nearby tow pilot to meet us..

Dan Marotta can chime in about some safaris he's done using auto tow, which would be another option at some locales.

5Z

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 10:37:00 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I've been thinking about it ever since I participated in the return to Kitty Hawk race, which
turned into a trailer race at some point.

-snip-

Old August 25th 16, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks for the plug, Tom.

My former partner, Walt, and I took our LS-6a on two safaris. One one
we used his Jeep Grand Cherokee and on the other we used my F-150
truck. On both we used a 1,000' rope for ground launch. We alternated
flying one day and pulling the trailer the next and every flight was
straight out. I did one other safari using a friend's self launch
ASW-24E, everything else being the same.

We were always met with enthusiasm at every airport we visited,
including Gallup, NM and Durango, CO. Regional air carriers always
offered to hold for us to land but that was never a problem as we always
had altitude to spare at destination. We always held departure for the
regionals to get about their business. It's a terrific time, but not
many people seem interested in trying it. That's too bad...

My wife and I are planning some straight out flights in our Stemme. Of
course there are a lot fewer logistical concerns (other than baggage).

Dan

--
Dan, 5J