Clip-on mic

Old August 25th 16, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

Default Clip-on mic

Has anyone come up with a clip-on mic for the radio in lieu of the boom? My DG-303 boom is a little too short, doesn't bend well, and never stays where I need it (um....that all sounds very Freudian...)
I have pondered replacing the boom with a lapel type clip-on mic or even a 'through-the-throat" mic. I don't want to have a full headset and would retain the standard speaker.
Any experiences or thoughts?
WG
Old August 25th 16, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

I use the Plantronics MS250. Not a full headset, only on one ear so you can still hear very well.

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/ms250

Boggs
Old August 25th 16, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

You might try http://www.segelflug.de/osclass/inde...e=item&id=9005 ; directional mic in the panel. Never too short, always points at you. Nothing to bend.

See previous thread on ras: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/4U1aGX8GUjk
Old August 25th 16, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 1:09:20 PM UTC-7, Wade G wrote:
Has anyone come up with a clip-on mic for the radio in lieu of the boom?

Years ago Les Sebald gave me a circuit diagram for a clip-on mic that used a standard electret mic with a tiny one-transister amp. I made a few of them for my own use before I lost the circuit diagram. However, I can say that what you're looking for is possible and practical and has been done in the past.

If enough people are interested, I'll slice open my last remaining example and reverse-engineer the circuit.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old August 25th 16, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 4:09:20 PM UTC-4, Wade G wrote:
Has anyone come up with a clip-on mic for the radio in lieu of the boom? My DG-303 boom is a little too short, doesn't bend well, and never stays where I need it (um....that all sounds very Freudian...)
I have pondered replacing the boom with a lapel type clip-on mic or even a 'through-the-throat" mic. I don't want to have a full headset and would retain the standard speaker.
Any experiences or thoughts?
WG

I have several headsets/mics for sale on glider source classified. Plantronics and Telex and I have a David Clark 10-80 also
Old August 26th 16, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Here' a nice post about converting a hobby type electret mic to use with an aircraft radio. http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregor...Microphone.htm
Old August 26th 16, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 3:45:14 PM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 4:32:51 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
I use the Plantronics MS250. Not a full headset, only on one ear so you can still hear very well.

http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/ms250

Boggs

You might try http://www.segelflug.de/osclass/inde...e=item&id=9005 ; directional mic in the panel. Never too short, always points at you. Nothing to bend.

See previous thread on ras: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/4U1aGX8GUjk

I installed one of these Einbau Micros in my LS6 panel last year and it is awesome! No wires or booms, just sit in cockpit, turn on radio, press to talk and talk at the panel. Works with canopy and panel up prior to launch, and really well in air, according to all the other local pilots (both glider and towplanes). Several other pilots in our club are planning on switching to these this year (3 purchased so far - a steal at 55 euros!).

Highly recommended - makes headsets and boom mikes totally obsolete, IMO.

PM me at kirk dot stant at gmail dot com and I can send pictures of my installation.

Kirk
66
Old August 26th 16, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 3:09:20 PM UTC-5, Wade G wrote:
Has anyone come up with a clip-on mic for the radio in lieu of the boom? My DG-303 boom is a little too short, doesn't bend well, and never stays where I need it (um....that all sounds very Freudian...)
I have pondered replacing the boom with a lapel type clip-on mic or even a 'through-the-throat" mic. I don't want to have a full headset and would retain the standard speaker.
Any experiences or thoughts?
WG

I use the Plantronics MS50/T30. http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/ms50-t30-1 . The mic portion attaches to the headset portion by a spring clip so the two can be easily separated if desired. I simply removed the mic from the headset and now just clip it to a seatbelt strap when flying. My ship happens to have a standard aviation mic jack in the panel so the set plugs in nicely but you can also hard wire it into your existing harness if you want to go that route. I'm very happy with the results.

Robert

URL to a video clip. Many have never seen this before Jess Lurkin[_8_] Aviation Photos 0 May 5th 15 03:34 AM
New Lifted 001 Clip Anthony Buck Soaring 3 August 21st 06 03:03 PM
Aviation clip art Slav Inger General Aviation 1 September 11th 04 01:20 AM
Aviation clip art Slav Inger Piloting 1 September 11th 04 01:20 AM
Bad landing clip Deep Avali Military Aviation 5 March 26th 04 05:45 PM