Something for yr club noticeboards ... A northern winter escape to NZfor some soaring/hanging out...

Old August 26th 16, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Something for yr club noticeboards ... A northern winter escape to NZfor some soaring/hanging out...

A NEW ZEALAND ADVENTURE???

Would you or your friends like to Escape the Northern European/US Winter and come to New Zealand for a gliding holiday?

The Wellington Gliding club is looking for 3-4 voluntary "summer crew" for the Dec16 to April 17 season.

The club operates from Greytown in the lower North Island. The airfield is 2.4 km long with a brand new skylaunch winch and 2*DG1000 trainers.

The club is totally voluntary, however for the last 25 years we have hosted overseas gliding enthusiasts who assist the members by running the weekday operations. Many of the current/past professional Omarama (NZ) instructors started with a season stint with us.

There are 3-4 spots available. We can provide your own room in either a caravan or the clubhouse, a team car to use around town, plenty of food and beer plus dollops of kiwi hospitality. If you have a Glider Instructor or Winch driver rating we train/revalidate and issue New Zealand ratings for no cost. You can also have gratis glider time.

The roles really suit independent glider enthusiasts who are just happy to hang/help out and experience the cultural side of New Zealand life at minimal cost. Its not a job as such so you are also free to use the club as a base for your NZ travel adventures as well.

The site is an interesting mix of thermal, ridge and strong wave conditions.. The club website is www.soar.co.nz.

If you have any questions please just email me on: Ross.sutherland99 at gmail.com
or call/text me on:
+43 676 7444393 (European number until mid Oct)

Or please feel free to pass the note along to any of your gliding friends that are looking for an excuse to escape winter and have some fun.
Old August 27th 16, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

(Update 23Aug - I suppose a bit unsurprisingly we have been inundated and 3 of the full season ground crew roles have been filled sorry. We are however still looking out for an Instructor and have some shorter term hangout spots available (with accommodation in the 3 bed bunkroom) we are looking at other accommodation options as well.
Old August 27th 16, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 5:59:23 PM UTC+12, wrote:
[...]

2.4 km! When did that happen? It was only 2.0 last I heard.

I found a recent mid-winter video that gives an idea of the site environs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhDwieA2Hzw

The mass of white near the turn to finals is an apple orchid. It's not hard to find home when flying x-country!