A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Newish radio isn't loud enough

Old August 22nd 16, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

Default Newish radio isn't loud enough

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:12:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a

On a related subject, I fly a motorglider (ventus 2cM) and like to use a headset to reduce engine noise when self-launching. I use a David Clark, which I find suitable, except that I would like to find a more compact headset that can be more easily stowed after launch. Does anyone have recommendations for a more compact headset?

Clarity Aloft is about a compact as you'll find. Depends on whether you like in-ear devices or not. http://www.clarityaloft.com/
Cheers,
7Q
Old August 22nd 16, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

I use a Bose QC15 with a UFlyMike. Being able to use the Bose headset for other uses beyond the plane is a great value.

http://uflymike.com/

Occasionally, you can find the mic adapter for sale on Ebay for $150-$200.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
Old August 22nd 16, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:23:04 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
I have a

On a related subject, I fly a motorglider (ventus 2cM) and like to use a headset to reduce engine noise when self-launching. I use a David Clark, which I find suitable, except that I would like to find a more compact headset that can be more easily stowed after launch. Does anyone have recommendations for a more compact headset?

Clarity Aloft is about a compact as you'll find. Depends on whether you like in-ear devices or not. http://www.clarityaloft.com/
Cheers,
7Q

Clarity Aloft yes, but with the standard compliant foam ear tips swapped for Etymotic Research three flange eartips for easier/faster insertion (or get custom ear pieces molded). The external noise suppression and clarity you get out of a good in-ear headset is just amazing.

Old August 22nd 16, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

I have a

We stray.
I've used generic (also custom molded) in-ear monitors in ASH26E. They worked great, store in the side pocket, and don't scratch the canopy.
Here's a variety of readily available earphones from Shure.
http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...s/se-earphones
Also search guitarcenter.com for earphones. In USA there's probably a guitar center nearby.
Custom molded ear monitors are available from Ultimate Ears, JH Audio, Sensaphonics, Future Sonics and others.
Jim
Old August 26th 16, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

thanks for all advice. I had previously tried using music ear-plugs and could not make them work at all. But I realise now I messed up the adapter I made to convert the tiny plugs they use to aircraft plugs. The tiny plugs are stereo, and I confused the connections to the mono aircraft plug. With the adaptor fixed, all my collection of music earphones now work with my radio. Some greatly accentuate the 'hiss' but some sound good. I'll try a few, then ditch the David Clark headset (I have a gooseneck mike).