Buying a glider, advice on type and prices

Old August 28th 16, 10:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_37_]

Default Buying a glider, advice on type and prices

Returned to gliding after many years and out of touch with types and prices.

Have narrowed it down to one of these types but nothing set in concrete.

ASW20, ASW27, ASW28, Discus, Discus 2 or Ventus.

Was originally looking to buy a lower cost glider but with interest rates being so poor, I am thinking that a good glider may be a better investment than money in the bank.

Any suggestions and a rough guide on prices? (appreciate that it ultimately depends on level of equipment and condition.

Thanks
Old August 28th 16, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Returning to gliding after many years, now older and skills rusty, and buying an ASW 27? This sure raises a red flag. I hope you've been flying something other than gliders those many years?

Boggs
Old August 28th 16, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Discus-2 just took the top 4 positions in this years Standard Class Nationals and won Sports Class Nationals. A newer ship will keep its fit and finish longer. A Standard Class bird with a good gear warning system is probably the safest way to go. OK, I do have a dog in this fight and I have just what you need!
JJ. Johnsinclair210(at)yahoo.como
Old August 29th 16, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Standard class gliders are nearly dead. Domestically and internationally. For the past several years, in the USA, their national contest has been teetering on the edge of not being held. Sad, but a reality that is important based the list you offered.

I would suggest a flapped glider, probably the ASW27. Ventus is ok too.

For whatever it is worth, the Lak17a is also excellent and is both 15/18 (competitive in both classes). This one can be acquired for far less than an ASG29 or other 18-meter glider. In most cases for less than a 27 or Ventus! The Lak17a was my first racing glider and I was very, very pleased with it. I actually miss it from time to time. My dad still has his and keeps up with my in my 29 with ease (even now that I know what I am doing a bit).. 18 meter flapped is a really fun, popular class. The Lak17a allows you to enter this class at a fraction of the cost.

Several he http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds

Good luck and welcome back!

Sean
Old August 29th 16, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I agree with Sean on the LAK17a recommendation. It is a sweet glider to fly. You get huge performance "bang for your buck".

With a lot of help from Sean and his dad, Bob (for which I am greatly appreciative!), I bought a LAK17at from one of the other Ionia soaring pilots and picked it up in June of last year.

I now have more than 100 hours in her and, one contest and three week long camps later, am very happy.

Lou
Old August 29th 16, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Standard advice:

Something that fits in your budget of course. Leave reserve for some instruments, insurance, andoney to buy tows.

Make sure you fit comfortably. You'll be wanting to sit in the seat for 5-8 hrs.

Automatic control hookups are a deciding factor for many. Decide if it is for you.

That will narrow it down to maybe a half dozen types. From there, find what's available at the price you like, and pick the one with the nicest trailer.
Old August 29th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 4:04:11 PM UTC+1, Tony wrote:
Standard advice:

Something that fits in your budget of course. Leave reserve for some instruments, insurance, andoney to buy tows.

Make sure you fit comfortably. You'll be wanting to sit in the seat for 5-8 hrs.

Automatic control hookups are a deciding factor for many. Decide if it is for you.

That will narrow it down to maybe a half dozen types. From there, find what's available at the price you like, and pick the one with the nicest trailer.

I agree with the above. Also, although I am an older current pilot flying a flapped 18/21m glider, I would suggest that an older slightly rusty pilot should fly a 15m unflapped glider for a couple of years before moving up. Presumably you aren't going to be going straight into high level competitions so the comments about the standard class dying out are not very relevant. The original Discus (along with the LS4) is the one of the most useful, benign and salable gliders ever made. The Discus 2 and ASW28 are also fine standard class gliders (I have owned A Discus B and a Discus 2c) and newer so more likely to come with better gelcoat or optional PU paint finish.

The 15m flapped gliders are have little performance advantage until you are happy flying them ballasted and are at the stage where your cross country speed is not limited by thermal selection and centering issues.

The ASW20 is a classic of its time but the lack of automatic control connections on this (and other) designs, particularly for the elevator, is a serious, literally killer, deficiency.

John Galloway
Old August 29th 16, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I often suggest Discus or ASW-24's for pilots in your position. Those that have taken my advice have always been pleased with the result. We have 5 of them in our club right now. They have benign handling but can be pushed for really good cross country performance. They are competitive in sports class. They have great factory support and there are lots of them out there. They are easy to resell when you are ready to go flapped 18M. Especially Discus.

I second the opinion on pick the general type you are interested in and buy the one with the best trailer. It's hard to underestimate how ground handling can influence things.

I think it's also a good idea to not buy something too expensive while you are getting your feet wet flying XC. You need to feel comfortable putting the ship in harms way (out of glide range of an airport). That was always a concern of mine.

I wouldn't even consider an ASW-20 or -27 for a low time pilot. They are great aircraft in the right hands, but there are better options out there for low time pilots.
Old August 29th 16, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_37_]

On Sunday, 28 August 2016 10:15:23 UTC+1, John wrote:
Returned to gliding after many years and out of touch with types and prices.

Have narrowed it down to one of these types but nothing set in concrete.

ASW20, ASW27, ASW28, Discus, Discus 2 or Ventus.

Was originally looking to buy a lower cost glider but with interest rates being so poor, I am thinking that a good glider may be a better investment than money in the bank.

Any suggestions and a rough guide on prices? (appreciate that it ultimately depends on level of equipment and condition.

Thanks

Wow, thanks everyone for taking the time to help, just the kind of information I need. I'm not familiar with the LAK17 so will google it now.

I'm not low time or rusty in any way so just need a briefing on flaps really. Rarely flown with retractable undercarriage so that does concern me slightly and a good warning system would be handy.

My main limitation in a few years may be lifting, so light weight CF wings and easy to rig is important to me. And yes, it must be comfortable for tall pilot and long flights.

New to forums so hope I have posted correctly.

Old August 29th 16, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John,
My ad is on page 4 of Wings And Wheels for sale page. Most all ships for sale in the US are on there. Discus-2 has automatic control hook ups, large cockpit, easy rigging and a hydraulic disc brake. Very light stick and fun to fly. A Wing-Rigger device makes solo assembly possible. The SN-10 computer gives deadly accurate winds and altitude required to any place you select (along with a whole bunch of other good info).
Cheers,
JJ

Student Pilot needs advice on buying 172 Cessna mcannon Owning 2 September 5th 05 03:43 PM
Advice on buying a 182 Robbie S. Owning 26 February 11th 05 11:28 PM
Advice on buying a 152? rajek Owning 27 June 21st 04 08:09 PM
I need some advice on buying my own plane BEFORE training... Anthony L Piloting 6 April 22nd 04 11:13 PM
Advice request -- buying an airplane Casey Wilson Owning 4 April 19th 04 03:22 PM