Map of Airbus A320 flight path

Old January 18th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

Default Map of Airbus A320 flight path

Eeyore wrote in
:

Ttown wrote:

For those not familiar with the NYC area, here is a good map showing
the flight path of the Airbus A320 and the location of LaGuardia and
Teterboro airports:

The pilot is certainly getting a lot of praise, deservedly so, for
the split second decision to ditch the plane with no casualties.

Question: On hindsight, would he have had enough altitude for an
emergency landing back at LaGuardia or Teterboro given the position
of the bird strike?

Turning back is a no-go. Too much height and velocity loss involved in
the turn. One of the commonest causes of PPL deaths following EFATO.

The Terboro runway didn't seem suitably aligned for a dead stick
landing either.

The Airbus A320 is a $70+ million plus aircraft. I assume it isn't a
total loss. At least most of the parts can be salvaged?

Doubrful after that drenching.

Of course,
no value can be placed on the lives of the passengers saved or the
potentially devastating consequences of a crash landing short of a
runway.

Heck of a decision. I see why pilots earn their big salaries.

Most don't. Many UK pilots for low cost airlines earn less than
average wage. I understand it's little better in the USA.

The best paid are the long-service captains doing long-haul for the
majors.

Nope wrong again, netkkkop

Bertie
Old January 19th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation
Eeyore[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ttown wrote:

For those not familiar with the NYC area, here is a good map showing
the flight path of the Airbus A320 and the location of LaGuardia and
Teterboro airports:

The pilot is certainly getting a lot of praise, deservedly so, for
the split second decision to ditch the plane with no casualties.

Question: On hindsight, would he have had enough altitude for an
emergency landing back at LaGuardia or Teterboro given the position
of the bird strike?

Turning back is a no-go. Too much height and velocity loss involved in
the turn. One of the commonest causes of PPL deaths following EFATO.

The Terboro runway didn't seem suitably aligned for a dead stick
landing either.

The Airbus A320 is a $70+ million plus aircraft. I assume it isn't a
total loss. At least most of the parts can be salvaged?

Doubtful after that drenching.

Of course,
no value can be placed on the lives of the passengers saved or the
potentially devastating consequences of a crash landing short of a
runway.

Heck of a decision. I see why pilots earn their big salaries.

Most don't. Many UK pilots for low cost airlines earn less than
average wage. I understand it's little better in the USA.

The best paid are the long-service captains doing long-haul for the
majors.

Nope wrong again, netkkkop

********. And you of all people should know that.

What's Ryan Air's going rate for the right hand seat ? Do you ever you to
pprune.org ? Or have they banned you for ****wittedness ?

Graham