Friedrichshafen 2015. Then where to?

Old December 1st 14, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Friedrichshafen 2015. Then where to?

Hi. I am planning to attend to Aero Friedrichshafen 2015 (april, 15-18) and then spend about a week (or two...) around Stuttgart. Where can I fly gliders there? And what about the paperwork?
Thanks in advance!

Moure, A.
Old December 2nd 14, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

On Monday, December 1, 2014 3:32:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi. I am planning to attend to Aero Friedrichshafen 2015 (april, 15-18) and then spend about a week (or two...) around Stuttgart. Where can I fly gliders there? And what about the paperwork?
Thanks in advance!

Moure, A.

The German LBA will let you fly on an American Private Pilot Glider certificate with no tests and no limits as long as you have a valid medical. I did that for a year when stationed in Stuttgart. Just for fun, I eventually got an actual German Glider Pilot License (That's now on the way to becoming a real EASA piece of paper).

As far as I know, all of the flying around the Stuttgart area is club organized. You won't be able to solo w/o being a club member. Not likely to find any day memberships around there. There's a good vintage gliding group at Hahnweide (Superb place to fly, love it there, about 30 minutes east of Stuttgart). I can help put you in touch with a member if you'd like to pursue a flight in an antique.

There are two places I know of that do daily memberships in clubs that function as quasi-commercial places:

Wasserkuppe is neat because it's the birthplace of our sport. Aerotow only. (www.fliegerschule-wasserkuppe.de) I've flown here twice. Neat place, neat people. This is a 2-1/2 hour drive from Stuttgart. Rooms available w/in walking distance in either the former Reichssegelflugschule (Reich Gliding School) or one of two hotels.

Deutsche Alpensegelflugschule Unterwössen (www.dassu.de)has an electric winch. You can launch off the winch and jump into the Alps under the right conditions. Never flown here, but met some of the people. They are responsive to email, though slower in the winter. About 3 hours SE from Stuttgart, I think.

Both places are accessible by train with a bit of planning.

I speak German well enough to get power/glider certificates there (Written, oral, etc.), so I never worry about the language. I know there are no English issues at Wasserkuppe and I understand it's the same at DASSU. There's actually a guy at Wasserkuppe who's a graduate of the USAF Test Pilot School at Edwards AFB!

I'll be glad to put you in touch with members of my club. If you just want a ride (back seat) with someone or to fly with an instructor that can likely be worked out (You can fly D-registered gliders w/ the American ticket, but you can't be officially in the front seat with an instructor in the back unless you are a "registered flight student.") All but one of the club instructors speak excellent English. These are people I know personally/well.

I'll be glad to facilitate some sort of contact w/ the other two places, but the gain over doing it yourself is minor.

Hope this helps!

Terry
Old December 2nd 14, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:11:03 PM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
...Wasserkuppe is neat because it's the birthplace of our sport.
Aerotow only.

They were running a winch when I flew over a few weeks back...
Old December 2nd 14, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:38:49 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:11:03 PM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
...Wasserkuppe is neat because it's the birthplace of our sport.
Aerotow only.

They were running a winch when I flew over a few weeks back...

They do occassionally run a winch, but it's not the norm in my experience.
Old December 2nd 14, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 10:43:02 -0800, Terry Pitts wrote:

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:38:49 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:11:03 PM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
...Wasserkuppe is neat because it's the birthplace of our sport.
Aerotow only.

They were running a winch when I flew over a few weeks back...

They do occassionally run a winch, but it's not the norm in my
experience.

That's what they told me a few years back as well. It was just like
visiting a different UK club: I rocked up at the office after spending
the night in one of the hotels, showed log book and medical and got sent
out to the flight line for a check flight in an ASK-21. That went OK, so
I offered a flight in an ASK-23 (single seat early solo type, not as nice
as an SZD Junior IMO - never seen one before) and towed off the hill for
a really nice flight. Not been back since, unfortunately.

FWIW, my German is middling to poor.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 3rd 14, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Is the Alpen Segelflugschule in Unterwossen open in winter?
Also, if you own a German glider you must go to the factory. It's an eye-opener.
Jim

http://www.dassu.de/
Old December 3rd 14, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I visited Wasserkuppe back in 2010 and it is a fantastic venue, indeed. I will look out for flying there this time, for sure. And a visit to Kirchheim unter Teck is also in my to-do list (I own a SH Ventus b/16.6).
Dassu also looks promising. Good tip.
Since I still am a "low hours" pilot (only 125 hours logged) I´ll be happy to fly whatever I can, even if in the back seat. OTOH, since I am from Brazil the paperwork will be a little more complicated - not sure about the existing agreements between the governamental agencies.
Thank you for the ideas.

Moure, A.

2015 Midwest OLC Championship (May 24-30, Ionia, MI) Sean Fidler Soaring 0 November 11th 14 06:44 AM
2015 18m Nationals Andy K Soaring 28 October 2nd 14 07:35 PM
2015 SSA Contest Selection Rolf - OS Soaring 25 September 30th 14 04:24 AM
US Contest Dates 2015 [email protected] Soaring 0 September 29th 14 12:44 AM
USA Nationals Schedule for 2014 and 2015 John Godfrey (QT)[_2_] Soaring 17 March 29th 13 03:42 PM