Chutes - manual or static line (automatic)?

Old May 3rd 12, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Chutes - manual or static line (automatic)?

Since we just read Angel's excellent report about his bail-out and Nylon-descent from his disabled JS1, it spawned a question regarding the type of chutes used. As far as I know, none of the the glider guiders (at least in the US) are using static line chutes and I am not aware of any mfg.'s in the US offering them either.
Here is what I know about them: most all static line (automatic) chutes I am familiar with are of a different design compared to the manual chutes and any rigger with more knowledge please chime in he the automatic chutes we used had their canopy in a separate container which is attached to the static line. When bailing out, the line extends (about 12ft) which then breaks the container with the chute inside free of the harness. Then the risers are deployed from the back of the your harness. When all this is done, the risers start pulling the canopy base first out of the container. Finally, the canopy container tears off from the apex of the canopy and remains with the staic line and a/c.
With a manual chute, the deployment is happening in reverse. The pilot chute drags the canopy out apex first followed by the risers.
There has always been a discussion which is 'better', safer or faster but I never got a definitive answer. As I said before, the two guys having to bail out from our 1-1/2 - winged Blanik sure were glad not having to fuzz with looking for the D-ring and the cutes were open in a split second after they were out.

So what are the major disadvantages of an automatic chute? More weight? Bulkier? My chute is near its lifetime limit and I am looking for some input.

Uli

Old May 3rd 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

I have heard concerns that a large percentage of inadvertent ‘chute
operations on the ground would ensue, should we in the UK ever move to
adopting static lines, as people would forget, leave the glider with the
‘chute and line attached, and deploy it by accident. It has nearly
happened to some British visitors to German gliding clubs. In club gliders
particularly, that would prevent the remaining people flying that day
(unless lots of spare ‘chutes available).

For a private glider, no more flying until repacked.

I presume it is not much of a problem once people have got used to it.

Chris N

Old May 3rd 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

I have heard concerns that a large percentage of inadvertent ‘chute
operations on the ground would ensue, should we in the UK ever move to
adopting static lines, as people would forget, leave the glider with the
‘chute and line attached, and deploy it by accident. It has nearly
happened to some British visitors to German gliding clubs. In club gliders
particularly, that would prevent the remaining people flying that day
(unless lots of spare ‘chutes available).

For a private glider, no more flying until repacked.

I presume it is not much of a problem once people have got used to it.

Chris N

Icom IC-A3 manual on line? Ted Wagner Soaring 4 September 17th 16 11:23 AM
BRS chutes. Why doesn't everyone use them? Sparkorama Soaring 53 January 26th 11 01:55 PM
F-104 Chutes out Glen in Orlando Aviation Photos 0 October 9th 09 07:01 PM
Static Line Parachutes GM Soaring 4 January 14th 08 12:08 AM
Sharing static and pitot line Istvan Csonka Soaring 13 March 12th 05 03:00 AM