Tony Condon Downwind Dash

Old April 9th 14, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Tony Condon Downwind Dash

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:41:34 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Perhaps Newton, TX? Jim

Does look to be aiming for there.

Steve
Old April 9th 14, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

As of 6:34pm CDT, Tony has covered 465 miles at average speed of 78.8 mph. Lots of unlandable terrain ahead--about 24 miles to an airport on course.

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:34:46 PM UTC-5, lynn wrote:
Well past his goal of San Augustine. As of 6:17pm had flown 445miles at avg speed of 79.2 mph.

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:03:22 PM UTC-5, lynn wrote:

As of the last reported position at 5:50pm, Tony has flown 410 miles at average speed of 79.3 mph.

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:10:22 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:

Tony Condon is on a downwind dash from Wellington, KS. Last I heard, goal was somewhere in Texas. Cloud base should be pushing 7000 AGL, and tailwinds in excess of 30 knots. B/S ratio forecast is pretty low, but I have flown on similar sorts of days and found the lift to be very good. Will see how it turns out for him!

Feel free to spend the rest of your afternoon watching his progress instead of working.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...08EyO4mMDp hc

Steve Leonard

Stuck in the office...

Old April 9th 14, 12:54 AM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Leonard[_2_] View Post

Feel free to spend the rest of your afternoon watching his progress instead of working.
He's gotta BIG pond of water coming up! Nice ride Tony!

Brad
...also stuck in the office today

Old April 9th 14, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

I think Tony saw that Newton is 490 miles out of Wellington, so he wants to go a little further. If he had good altitude, with the tailwind, a 60 mile final glide is not out of the question.

Steve
Old April 9th 14, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:10:22 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
Tony Condon is on a downwind dash from Wellington, KS. Last I heard, goal was somewhere in Texas. Cloud base should be pushing 7000 AGL, and tailwinds in excess of 30 knots. B/S ratio forecast is pretty low, but I have flown on similar sorts of days and found the lift to be very good. Will see how it turns out for him!

Feel free to spend the rest of your afternoon watching his progress instead of working.

Can no longer get the Spot link to open. Works fine for the Holliday flight.

Old April 9th 14, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, lynn wrote:
Can no longer get the Spot link to open. Works fine for the Holliday flight.

Maybe the traffic count is too high? Lost him earlier in the day, and again now.

Steve
Old April 9th 14, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

lynn wrote:
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:10:22 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
Tony Condon is on a downwind dash from Wellington, KS. Last I heard,
goal was somewhere in Texas. Cloud base should be pushing 7000 AGL, and
tailwinds in excess of 30 knots. B/S ratio forecast is pretty low, but
I have flown on similar sorts of days and found the lift to be very
good. Will see how it turns out for him!

Feel free to spend the rest of your afternoon watching his progress instead of working.

Can no longer get the Spot link to open. Works fine for the Holliday flight.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...08EyO4mMDp hc

Steve Leonard

Stuck in the office...

Just got word that Tony made it to DeQuincy, LA. Seems that he missed TX
:-)

According to sky vector he covered 524 statute miles. Way to go Tony!

Pete
Old April 9th 14, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:31:10 PM UTC-5, vontresc wrote:
:

[...]

My calculations (great circle) show a total of 524.9 miles at 80.1 mph. Nice flying!