Cost to earn a glider certificate?

Old June 11th 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

Default Cost to earn a glider certificate?

At 16:03 10 June 2008, brtlmj wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how does a club that operates that way
allow for expansion? For example, if they get a dozen or so
new members, they're going to want another glider, but
they won't have any money to buy it.

They will have additional monthly revenue which can be used to finance
equipment. Yes, it will be more complicated than just having cash, but
many potential members would never join if they had to pay a
significant sum of money before they even start.

But you said they're charging only $164 per year to join
the club. Monthly revenue generally covers monthly
operating costs. What sort of monthly revenue do they
have? They must be charging some pretty steep rates
for either equipment rental or tows.

Jim Beckman (NJ)

Old June 11th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brtlmj

On Jun 11, 4:43 am, Jim Beckman wrote:
They will have additional monthly revenue which can be used to finance
equipment. Yes, it will be more complicated than just having cash, but
many potential members would never join if they had to pay a
significant sum of money before they even start.

But you said they're charging only $164 per year to join
the club.

First of all, I think you are confusing me with Jim Logajan :-) What I
wrote above was simply my guess - I know nothing about the club in
question.

Monthly revenue generally covers monthly
operating costs. What sort of monthly revenue do they
have? They must be charging some pretty steep rates
for either equipment rental or tows.

I am not an economist, but I believe that you can put an "equals" sign
between a sum of money now, and a revenue stream in the future. So,
having a monthly fee that covers more than operating costs might allow
a club to charge a low initiation fee.

Old June 11th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Jun 11, 12:43*pm, Jim Beckman wrote:
At 16:03 10 June 2008, brtlmj wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how does a club that operates that way
allow for expansion? *For example, if they get a dozen or so
new members, they're going to want another glider, but
they won't have any money to buy it.

They will have additional monthly revenue which can be used to finance
equipment. Yes, it will be more complicated than just having cash, but
many potential members would never join if they had to pay a
significant sum of money before they even start.

But you said they're charging only $164 per year to join
the club. *Monthly revenue generally covers monthly
operating costs. *What sort of monthly revenue do they
have? *They must be charging some pretty steep rates
for either equipment rental or tows.

But the costs of flying will be paid by those that fly, rather than
being subsidised by 'initiation fees' and so on. My guess is that it
should work out cheaper for someone who flies very little, and more
expensive for someone who flies club gliders a lot.
Old June 11th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Logajan

Jim Beckman wrote:
But you said they're charging only $164 per year to join
the club. Monthly revenue generally covers monthly
operating costs. What sort of monthly revenue do they
have? They must be charging some pretty steep rates
for either equipment rental or tows.

Jim, that was me that said the club's annual dues were $164 per year. I
have no idea what the club's operational costs or revenues are. Their rates
are he

http://www.kpflight.com/coburgmember.htm

The rates seem reasonable, but I'm new to this so my perceptions aren't to
be trusted!
Old June 11th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

I note that their revenue includes instructional fees at $30 per hour.
Most clubs of which I am aware do not charge for instruction.

The second glider club I was in had an initiation fee that paid off the
cost of a $900 TG-3. (1958-68). Dues were about $10 per month to pay
administrative costs and hangaring. Tows were bought from an outsider and
there was no rental fee at all.

The theory was that this would encourage members to fly more. Two or
three members profited wildly by flying all the time and splitting tow
fees with guests, or having guests pay the entire tow fee. Those who did
not fly were urged to do so and those that were too busy just dropped out.
People weren't nearly as busy in 1958 as in 2008. It was a cheap way to
build time.

Old June 11th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

But, since I already own a "Floppy stupid looking hat", I should be way
ahead on the cost curve, right?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

"jb92563" wrote in message
On Jun 6, 8:34 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Anyone have a rough idea of the amount to budget to earn a glider
certificate?

The glider training closest to me appears to be at this club:

http://www.kpflight.com/coburg.htm

Let see,
25 hours of dual with instructor.
25 hours solo
Club membership Initiation
Regular club dues
Radio
Club T-shirt
Floppy stupid looking hat
Sun Tan Lotion SPF 30+
Log book
Reference books
Exam study guide
Car to get to the field
Gas Money
Bragging rights at the local Pub(Buy a round)
Landout money for phone call & retrieve crews dinner.
Your own glider or a share of one
Upgrades to above glider
Upgrade to a 4 wheel drive car to tow above glider from farmers field
Gliding Holidays away to exotic places
Divorce & Settlement

I concur that about $2,500 should be enough to get started
;-)