Question about an old Advanced Soaring Concepts Spirit Kit

Old October 23rd 18, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Question about an old Advanced Soaring Concepts Spirit Kit

My father recently passed away, leaving us a very unfinished Advanced Soaring Concepts "Spirit" kit. I believe we have all the parts, but it might take some digging to find everything.

We're not really sure what to do with it. He bought it in the early 90s when they were first being produced, but a number of major life events shortly transpired thereafter, and the kit was never completed.

I don't know much about building fiberglass aircraft, but I know a good amount fiberglass boats. The fuselage and wings have been sitting outside here in Arizona in the side yard of the house for decades. For fiberglass boats, this is normal, but I don't know if the same is true for aircraft. It looks like there is certainly some gelcoat crazing and cracking in places.

Here are some photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/atThHQXWUTmc2aDH6

Right now we're looking to part ways with it, but we lack the expertise to know what a reasonable offer would be, or if it can even be made airworthy.
Old October 23rd 18, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 5:11:00 PM UTC-7, Bryan Rolfe wrote:
[...]

You can use search r.a.s. on Google Groups to read about the problematic history of the American Spirit. Sitting outside in the weather for decades,.... ain't going to be worth anything, even without the wing design problems. The fuselage might be usable for a club to make a flight simulator cockpit, if so giving the fuselage to a club may be a great way of remembering your father and helping future glider pilots. And hopefully they'll take care of of hauling it away for you.
Old October 23rd 18, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bryan Rolfe

Ah, well that's too bad. And perhaps that's part of the reason he never finished the kit - I don't really know. It's water under the bridge now.

Old October 23rd 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 7:11:00 PM UTC-5, Bryan Rolfe wrote:
[...]

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear of your fathers passing.

I have recently acquired an ASC Falcon project (nearly complete) and have some parts that did not weather time well. Please don't rush to toss the project. I am going to be in Arizona in both November and again in December. As an A&P mechanic I can help determine what parts are viable.

I cannot offer much other than I am semi knowledgeable on the type and if you have a way to haul the big parts I can help you clear them out. I am interested in any or all the side bits and Paperwork that is associated with the Spirit.

Where in AZ are you ? I will be in the PHX area (Fountain Hills) 8-17 Nov., 13-22 Dec.

Thanks

Bruce

sven six tree too fife zip octo hex uno hex