K8 Seats

Old July 3rd 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default K8 Seats

Our club has a K8 with extremely uncomfortable seating arraignments.
Basically we are using a combination of foam pieces and misc cushions to try
to make the glider usable. After about 2 hours, it is pure torture.

The basic glider has a metal seat pan that covers the landing wheel. The
seat back basically is the tubular frame structure of the glider.

Is this the way the glider came from the factory, or is there some kind of
seat that is installed in the cockpit. I am trying to figure out what the
original seating design looks like, so I can investigate some upgrades.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Mike Schumann

--
Mike Schumann

Old July 3rd 06, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Gayda

Hi Mike,

i just uploaded a picture of the "original" Ka8 seat found in all 3 Ka8's at
our airfield.
Find it at
www.texelferien.de/markus/fotos/CRW9508.jpg

Greetings,
Markus

Old July 3rd 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Gayda

Forgot one undersco

www.texelferien.de/markus/fotos/CRW_9508.jpg
Old July 3rd 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah

Hi Mike... so, that 5hr flight ended at 2hrs, eh? I'm afraid our K8
was designed to accomodate a parachute cushion. You might check with
Stephen Nesser - when he was serious about K8 xc he made up some
cusions from "memory foam" high tech material. He may have some other
suggestions about how to relieve the torture.

Sarah Anderson

Old July 3rd 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

That's exactly what the seat looks like in our K8. What do you use for
cushions?

Mike Schumann

"Markus Gayda" wrote in message
Forgot one undersco

www.texelferien.de/markus/fotos/CRW_9508.jpg

Old July 3rd 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

My flighted ended at 3.9 hrs. While it was torture, the lift ended.
Otherwise I would have finished.

Mike Schumann

oups.com...

Old July 3rd 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whitson Bush

I did 3hrs in the front of a K-7, that was torture. I came down from cloud
base just to get out. Being 6'1" it was a little cramped. Ended up doing my
5hrs in a K-18.
"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
ink.net...
My flighted ended at 3.9 hrs. While it was torture, the lift ended.
Otherwise I would have finished.

Mike Schumann

oups.com...

Old July 3rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Gayda

Hi Mike,

in our club, we even have some folks that fly WITHOUT cushions for several
hours. And those folks prefer the Ka8 to a Discus ... hehe... unimaginable,
isn't it?

I myself use whatever cushion is available... and sometimes fly without.
But the problem isn't so accute with me, since i mostly fly our glas ships.

CU
Markus

Old July 3rd 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sebastiaan

Last Saturday I flew 6.5 hours in my Ka-8. It is fitted with a one-piece
seat, nicely curved like a racing car chair, to include both the seat
and the back.

I flew with a parachute and I was still able to walk after the flight.
Next weekend i will try to make some pictures of the chair.
Old July 4th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

I would love to see a picture of your seat.

Thanks,
Mike Schumann

l...