Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

Old August 3rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carriere

Default Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

Peter Duniho wrote:
AFAIK, there is no official definition of "overhead break" or "overhead
approach", and given that the approaches I have witnessed do involve flight

Well... here it is. Reference AIM 5-4-26 (Chapter 5 Air Traffic
Procedures/Section 4 Arrival Procedures). It's a little hidden
underneath a lot of IFR stuff:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPUBS/AIM/Chap5/...tml#Va821cROBE

In keeping with the international nature of these newsgroups, yes, this
applies to operations in the U.S., but the generic maneuver is universal.

Of course, when making variations on the maneuver (like low/fast
followed by a popup), courtesy and good airmanship towards other
aircraft, already established in a conventional traffic pattern, would
be considered. Common sense, I know.
Old August 3rd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message ...
: Blueskies.,
:
: Didn't see the 'cirrus killer' shots?
:
:
: Yep. As I said: a "proof of concept" in Cessna's own words.
:
: --
: Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
:

You said vaporware - vaporware doesn't fly, maybe a vaporplane...

Old August 3rd 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

Y'all ought to consider changing the subject line of this thread. :-)
--
Jim in NC
Old August 3rd 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

What does everybody have against war brides?

What?

Never mind.

Don

Old August 3rd 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
Peter Duniho wrote:
AFAIK, there is no official definition of "overhead break" or "overhead
approach", and given that the approaches I have witnessed do involve
flight

Well... here it is. Reference AIM 5-4-26 (Chapter 5 Air Traffic
Procedures/Section 4 Arrival Procedures). It's a little hidden underneath
a lot of IFR stuff:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPUBS/AIM/Chap5/...tml#Va821cROBE

Hmmm...well, I'd agree that is as close to an official definition as we're
likely to see. However, note that it's in the context of IFR arrivals, at
airports where an "overhead maneuver pattern" has specifically been
designated. If one is to use that as the official definition, then one also
needs to accept that they are allowed only in the specific circumstances
described in that section.

I think it makes more sense to accept that the phrases "overhead break" or
"overhead approach" are used to describe a variety of similar procedures.

Pete

Old August 3rd 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_1_]

"Morgans" wrote in message
Y'all ought to consider changing the subject line of this thread. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Things have sure changed since I was flying. Hell, I used to have towers ASK
me for overhead approaches just so they could see the damn airplane :-)

All this dialog about overheads not being efficient is really non sequitur.
(that's a flight instructor word folks :-)
They are indeed efficient in high performance airplanes and in fact the
preferred approach in hot props P51-F8F- etc where engine cool down and plug
fouling can be low power issues on extended approaches.
What's making me laugh at all this is that I think everybody is on separate
pages discussing the "issue" :-) The poster taking the negative side seems
to think that overheads are the everyday result of some hothead hot rock
driving in through the trees and doing a Chandelle off the deck right into
somebody else's downwind. It's not that this couldn't happen, and I'm sure,
knowing some of the idiots who own high performance airplanes, that it HAS
happened, but flying like this would be considered strictly taboo by any
pilot with an once of brains.
So either everybody flying a warbird hasn't an once of brains, or what the
poster on the negative side is saying is that these approaches are routinely
flown by warbird pilots without consideration for regulations and local
traffic. I can assure everybody, that anyone flying an unannounced and
APPROVED overhead approach would be the exception, certainly not the rule;
not for any warbird pilots I know anyway :-)
There are idiots flying all kinds of airplanes, and every once in a while,
as sure as putting a Chimp on a computer keyboard will result in his typing
War and Peace, one of these folks will drive on in unannounced at 46" and
2700 RPM in the old P51 and take the heads off the daisies, but believe me
gang, this type of incident is NOT what we teach people to do with warbirds
:-))
Dudley

Old August 3rd 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_1_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...
I can assure everybody, that anyone flying an unannounced and
APPROVED overhead approach would be the exception, certainly not the rule;
not for any warbird pilots I know anyway :-)

Naturally this should have read "UNAPPROVED"

DH

Old August 3rd 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Blueskies.,

You said vaporware - vaporware doesn't fly, maybe a vaporplane...

Something flew, yes. Was it a product from Cessna? Hardly.

Vaporware in my book is something you demo to great effect but with
nothing even remotely approaching a finished product in sight, let
alone a firm date for a finished product "on the shelves". Often, the
purpose is to keep the impressed masses from buying an available
product from the competition while playing catch-up with that
competition after you have badly dropped the ball.

IMHO, what Cessna did qualifies fully and in all aspects.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 3rd 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Cub Driver

Default Midfield crosswind entry WAS: Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:18:32 GMT, Don Tuite
wrote:

I understand that the midfield crosswind entry is standard in Canada.
It's also one of the standard entries at my (controlled) home
field[1]. From that experience, I find I like it because it gives me
good situational awareness of what's going on with closed traffic,
45-degree entries, and base-leg entries.

There is a nuclear power plant a few miles south of my home airport.
To approach from the west (the usual direction, since the ocean is on
the east) and to make the usual approach to runway 20 therefore
involves a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, which is apt to make the
security guards nervous. Ever since 9/11, therefore, I have always
entered the 45 from the west, regardless of wind direction. If I am to
land to the north, I fly the standard pattern. If I am landing to the
south, I make a midfield crossover. (It's actually a bit south of
midfield.)

The Cub is NORDO. I carry a handheld, but interference from the
sparkplugs makes it unfeasible to transmit unless the engine is at
idle. So I announce that I'm on the 45 from the west as I am
descending to pattern altitude, and generally I announce when I'm
descending on base or final. But otherwise I'm silent, though of
course I'm listening (and looking). No one has ever complained about
this.

I do confess however that, the first time I saw a midfield crossover,
I was so startled that I flew off and did some practice stuff for a
while, then returned when I was sure this interloper had parked his
plane or else left the area.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh RST Engineering Piloting 131 August 11th 06 06:00 AM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Owning 44 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Piloting 45 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
Oshkosh EAA Warbirds ??? Paul Restoration 0 July 11th 04 04:17 AM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM