First glider Nimbus 2 ?

Old January 11th 21, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

Ultimately, it's still your own decision what you buy, and depending on your skill, your club or CFI might allow it.
At our club, we have some pretty high demands. In order to fly solo on our Duo Discus, you need 75 hours solo, LS4 is 40 hours. If you were to buy something like Std Cirrus, Libelle or LS4, you need to have flown over 40 hours and at least 5 flights with the clubs LS4's. If you were to buy a flapped glider like Mosquito, PIK20, Mini Nimbus, you need to be solo on our Duo Discus (so 75 hours solo flight total) and flown at least 5 flights with a flapped glider in double with an instructor. Since we don't have a flapped glider owned by the club, there is a private Arcus owned by an instructor who you can pay to train.
Old January 11th 21, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

At the clubs I have flown so far, the club or CFI have no say about what private glider a club member buys or flies. There is some counselling, though..

Le lundi 11 janvier 2021 Ã* 10:31:05 UTC+1, a écritÂ*:

Old January 11th 21, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 1/11/21 2:31 AM, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Ultimately, it's still your own decision what you buy, and depending on your skill, your club or CFI might allow it.
At our club, we have some pretty high demands. In order to fly solo on our Duo Discus, you need 75 hours solo, LS4 is 40 hours. If you were to buy something like Std Cirrus, Libelle or LS4, you need to have flown over 40 hours and at least 5 flights with the clubs LS4's. If you were to buy a flapped glider like Mosquito, PIK20, Mini Nimbus, you need to be solo on our Duo Discus (so 75 hours solo flight total) and flown at least 5 flights with a flapped glider in double with an instructor. Since we don't have a flapped glider owned by the club, there is a private Arcus owned by an instructor who you can pay to train.

Or you could just buy a self-launcher and tell the club, "Thanks, but no
thanks."

--
Dan
5J
Old January 11th 21, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

40 hours before flying an LS-4?!

It has to be the easiest flying glider I've ever been in. I've heard that some European clubs put students in it for their first single seater.
Old January 11th 21, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:42:56 -0800, George Haeh wrote:

40 hours before flying an LS-4?!

It has to be the easiest flying glider I've ever been in. I've heard
that some European clubs put students in it for their first single
seater.

Club rules etc....do differ between countries

My post-solo experience is, I think, fairly typical for anybody learning
to fly in one of the bigger UK clubs.

I was sent solo on an ASK-21 at 16 hours (80 launches - almost all
winched - I got my spin sign-off off winch launches followed by thermal
climbs in an ASK-21 WITHOUT tail weights - with an instructor who taught
me to spin it in normal W&B. After soloing in the ASK-21 I converted to
the SZD Junior at a bit over 17 hours and 10 more launches, which I flew
for another 33 hours and 100 launches - quite a lot of those being 6 min
sled rides during two liftless British winters. I got my Silver C flying
the Junior in my second solo summer.

I'd gotten an aero-tow sign-off that summer (7 of those launches) and
flew another 9 aero tows at Boulder and Williams before converting to a
nice Pegase 101 at Williams.

Back at the UK ranch again, I started to fly the club's high-performance
fleet - Discus B and Pegase 90, together with a variety of gliders at
other sites, which included UK hill sites, Paraparaumu and Omarama in NZ
and Die Wasserkuppe, adding another 100 launches and 170 hours, mainly in
the Pegase, before I bought my own glider.

In reading the above, bear in mind that my club has a pair of Juniors
flown by immediate post-solo pilots in summer and by anybody who wants to
stay current in winter as well as three decent Standard-class gliders.
There's also a tradition of organising expeditions to hill sites in early
October when thermals have quit for the year. Both of these factors tend
to lengthen the time most pilots spend in club gliders before thinking
about buying one.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 11th 21, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Mis

poniedziaÅ‚ek, 11 stycznia 2021 oÂ*21:21:38 UTC+1 Martin Gregorie napisaÅ‚(a):
[...]

Yes, I see your point, but the reality of clubs in my country (Poland) probably differ quite much. To be honest I am sick and tired of queueing for a club glider, being at the mercy of whimsical instructors and wasting time when I am not lucky enough to "deserve" a glider. I am by no means an experienced pilot, but with near 600 take-offs/landings in powered planes/ultralights/gliders I guess I am not completely ignorant?...
Old January 11th 21, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Mis

poniedziaÅ‚ek, 11 stycznia 2021 oÂ*10:31:05 UTC+1 napisaÅ‚(a):
Ultimately, it's still your own decision what you buy, and depending on your skill, your club or CFI might allow it.
At our club, we have some pretty high demands. In order to fly solo on our Duo Discus, you need 75 hours solo, LS4 is 40 hours. If you were to buy something like Std Cirrus, Libelle or LS4, you need to have flown over 40 hours and at least 5 flights with the clubs LS4's. If you were to buy a flapped glider like Mosquito, PIK20, Mini Nimbus, you need to be solo on our Duo Discus (so 75 hours solo flight total) and flown at least 5 flights with a flapped glider in double with an instructor. Since we don't have a flapped glider owned by the club, there is a private Arcus owned by an instructor who you can pay to train.

Hi
thanks for making an interesting point. I had already tried to figure this out and I spoke with the head of the gliding section of our flying club to make sure I won't get in trouble (I had mentioned to him I was going to buy my own glider but at that time wasn't planning to get Nimbus). He told me that as long as glider would be formally proven to be airworty, would have all valid papers etc, the choice of is solely up to the owner and no restrictions are imposed by the club. He told me that Nimbus may not be the best choice, but neither did he tell me that I was completely crazy....

Purchase is not yet made because COVID restrictions keep me in my country. I am also considering 15m gliders but for the budget I have, I don't see anything worth attention at the moment. No matter what the outcome of all that will be, getting all those comments/advice from more experienced pilots is a great value in itself....
Old January 12th 21, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 13:51:27 -0800, Piotr Mis wrote:

Yes, I see your point, but the reality of clubs in my country (Poland)
probably differ quite much. To be honest I am sick and tired of queueing
for a club glider, being at the mercy of whimsical instructors and
wasting time when I am not lucky enough to "deserve" a glider. I am by
no means an experienced pilot, but with near 600 take-offs/landings in
powered planes/ultralights/gliders I guess I am not completely
ignorant?...

What control do the Chief Instructor and/or the club management committee
have over members who want to buy private gliders in Poland?

My experience when a low time pilot suggests that completing all three
legs of your Silver C in a Junior would be a good thing to do before
buying your own glider. Would declaring that aim get you better access to
a Junior? They may be slow, but they climb very well and I've heard that
Polish pilots have flown 300km triangles in them.

Visiting other clubs and flying any gliders they have that your club
doesn't is useful experience too. Sitting in them helps too: for
instance, sitting in almost anything else shows you how little you can
see behind you from a Junior, and that is very important to know when
sharing a thermal with more than 5 or 6 other gliders.

Just doing that got me my first flights in an ASK-13, Grob Astir G.102,
DG-300, PW-5, ASK-23 (the German Junior) and Standard Libelle. It also
showed me that the Libelle is by far the nicest of all these for comfort,
handling and all-round visibility - and also has the weakest airbrakes!

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 12th 21, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 2:53:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
poniedziałek, 11 stycznia 2021 o 10:31:05 UTC+1 napisał(a):
[...]

I may be WAY off-base here, but one thing you may consider, is to get Condor 2 and play around with some of the gliders, particularly the longer wing-span ones like the JS1 and EB29, so you can see how long-winged gliders handle on the ground. I know these are nothing like the Nimbus 2, and in fact, I think the only one that remotely comes close would be the Standard Cirrus with its all-flying tail. Just something to consider. But again, I may be way off here.
Old January 12th 21, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

[...]

I was under the impression that Poland was full of Jantars. at least at one time. I had a share of a Jantar Std 2 and it had pretty honest performance and was very comfortable though the reach to the panel was a stretch. It seems to fit long pilots and has a tall undercarriage which is good for out landings. Certainly capable of XC flying and usually good performance for the price.

Frank Whiteley

FS: Nimbus 3-25.5 JS Soaring 0 February 19th 08 08:49 PM
FS Nimbus 3 Roy Bourgeois Soaring 0 December 26th 07 08:47 PM
Nimbus down? [email protected] Soaring 2 November 21st 06 03:10 PM
Nimbus 4 Ray Gimmey Soaring 0 May 17th 04 06:46 PM
F.S. Nimbus 3DM Tom Stowers Soaring 0 October 18th 03 07:06 PM