A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Light Color Polyester Putty

Old February 16th 21, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Default Light Color Polyester Putty

Does anybody know a source for light colored 2-part polyester putty? The ones up here all have a bright colored hardener which helps on the mixing but shows through after a thin coat of white paint. I'd like something in a light grey or white color (after mixing) and preferably in a small quantity.
Thanks
ROY
Old February 16th 21, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 2:08:38 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
Does anybody know a source for light colored 2-part polyester putty? The ones up here all have a bright colored hardener which helps on the mixing but shows through after a thin coat of white paint. I'd like something in a light grey or white color (after mixing) and preferably in a small quantity..
Thanks
ROY

I use Evercoat polyester glazing putty and white cream hardener available from TCP Global and likely Eastwood.
Ends up more easily covered light grey.
UH
Old February 17th 21, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 2:26:43 PM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
Does anybody know a source for light colored 2-part polyester putty? The ones up here all have a bright colored hardener which helps on the mixing but shows through after a thin coat of white paint. I'd like something in a light grey or white color (after mixing) and preferably in a small quantity.
Thanks
ROY

I use Evercoat polyester glazing putty and white cream hardener available from TCP Global and likely Eastwood.
Ends up more easily covered light grey.
UH

There is one of the best supply facilities in the country located in Ft. Pierce , Florida. Fiberglass Supply Depot, is the go to people for the boat builders located here on the Treasure Coast. They carry many different supplies for fiberglass and gel repair. They offer an online catalog, and ship all over the world. They have been my go to people for refinishing supplies.
Old February 17th 21, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Does anybody know a source for light colored 2-part polyester putty? The ones up here all have a bright colored hardener which helps on the mixing but shows through after a thin coat of white paint. I'd like something in a light grey or white color (after mixing) and preferably in a small quantity..
Thanks
ROY

Roy - try 'UPOL Dolphin One Fill UPO660'. It is a white 'All in One Premium Body Filler' (TiO2 pigmented) which comes with a white hardener paste - doesn't get more white than that. It says it won't clog sand paper and is resistant against pin-holes.

Uli
'AS'
Old February 17th 21, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Fisher
external usenet poster

If its Polyester, the red or blue harder carries a dye so you can tell how well you have mixed the stuff.
Gelcoat is polyester as well, and uses Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide (MEKP) as a catylyst.
Its a clear liquid. Keep it out of your eyes!
That will also work in your Filler. Too much and goes off too fast. Experiment.

Cheers
Mark

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 12:15:47 PM UTC+10, AS wrote:
Thanks
ROY

Roy - try 'UPOL Dolphin One Fill UPO660'. It is a white 'All in One Premium Body Filler' (TiO2 pigmented) which comes with a white hardener paste - doesn't get more white than that. It says it won't clog sand paper and is resistant against pin-holes.

Uli
'AS'