Gliding International - "International Accident Report"

Old March 21st 21, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Gliding International - "International Accident Report"

This from February 2021, Volume 14 No. 5 page 40, "International Accident Report Nov-Dec 2000". The third "accident" reported:

[After giving date, location, type registration number etc.] "Comment: The aircraft experienced a loss of adequate lift and force landed to open field terrain in Hazelton, Pennsylvania. The glider was not damaged and the pilot was not injured"

Really, ?

Query: Is there any glider pilot editing this magazine anymore?

ROY

Old March 26th 21, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Fadden

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 4:24:08 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
This from February 2021, Volume 14 No. 5 page 40, "International Accident Report Nov-Dec 2000". The third "accident" reported:

[After giving date, location, type registration number etc.] "Comment: The aircraft experienced a loss of adequate lift and force landed to open field terrain in Hazelton, Pennsylvania. The glider was not damaged and the pilot was not injured"

Really, ?

Query: Is there any glider pilot editing this magazine anymore?

ROY

Ha! I just read that last night and thought outlandings without damage or injuries are now "accidents"? Who writes those summaries?
Old March 26th 21, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Folks,

Looks like one of my exploits ended up in Gliding International, how about that?

The landout was a complete non-event in a beautiful field. Only reason it was written up was because the troopers showed up and insisted on getting a hold of the FAA, which promptly told them it was the non-event that it was.

https://soaringeconomist.com/2020/11...-the-troopers/

All the best,
Daniel
Old March 26th 21, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

The landout was a complete non-event in a beautiful field. Only reason it was written up was because the troopers showed up and insisted on getting a hold of the FAA, which promptly told them it was the non-event that it was.

Well, we don't expect much knowledge about gliding from the State Police. But I would have expected the editors of Gliding International to at least read over what they are printing and recognize that a perfectly executed landout was not an "accident". And, notice the year "2000" in the title. Should have been "2020". That was also their error on the same page . . .
They are just not editing or even reading their own product, it seems.
ROY
Old March 27th 21, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Perhaps an email to your state aviation department would help with the
state police.Â* State to them that land outs are non events and, if you
get a good response, print it and carry it in the glider to show.

I just got a response from our officials in response to my query about
landing my gyro plane on county roads in New Mexico.Â* They told me there
was no law or regulation against that and to be careful and have fun.Â*
It goes in the gyro today, before I drag the glider out for a flight.

Dan 5J

Old March 27th 21, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 11:47:29 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Perhaps an email to your state aviation department would help with the state police. State to them that land outs are non events and, if you get a good response, print it and carry it in the glider to show.
I just got a response from our officials in response to my query about landing my gyro plane on county roads in New Mexico. They told me there was no law or regulation against that and to be careful and have fun. It goes in the gyro today, before I drag the glider out for a flight.
Dan 5J

That sounds like fun! So you could land near a gas station, stop the whirly-gig above you and taxi right up to the pump? Cool!

Uli
'AS'

Old March 27th 21, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Dan- with the way things are headed socially in the US you could play the gyro pilot in a real life MAD MAX.
Strap some air to ground rockets on that baby and get a 12 Ga and your all set.
Nick
Old March 27th 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 6:18:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Dan- with the way things are headed socially in the US you could play the gyro pilot in a real life MAD MAX.
Strap some air to ground rockets on that baby and get a 12 Ga and your all set.
Nick

No making Tina Turner cry!
Old March 28th 21, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hopefully.

Oh, and did you notice that I caved in to the poor folks who were
offended by large type? My artistic tendencies have been quashed. But
that's OK, I had a pretty good soaring flight today!

Dan
5J