FAA Permanently Revokes Pilot's License over ADS-B

Old May 17th 21, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default FAA Permanently Revokes Pilot's License over ADS-B

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 6:01:02 PM UTC-7, JAB wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 21:23:35 -0700 (PDT), 2G
wrote:
Big Brother is watching you

Become a military pilot...they will turn tracking off, when they
choose.

That ship sailed decades ago...
Old May 17th 21, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

This was not a license suspension, it was a life-time revocation by the FAA

1 year revocation, neither life-time nor permanent.
Old May 17th 21, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

We only did that during certain mission profiles. Otherwise the parrot
was squawking.

Dan
5J

Old May 17th 21, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 7:00:06 AM UTC-5, wrote:
This was not a license suspension, it was a life-time revocation by the FAA

1 year revocation, neither life-time nor permanent.

If this is accurate, I'll be happy to remove the post, but can you cite your source please? According to the references provided in the OP and below, while FAA suspensions are time-limited, revocations (as in this case) not only are permanent, but all certificates are revoked (not just the one flown (SEL) in force during this infraction, but her ATP and others. Ms. Lunken's published info indicates she is now not certified to fly anything.). As is quoted, she is allowed to start her training all over again after a period of time (which she negotiated 3-months earlier). All Respect to Ms. Lunken for the mea culpa and the incentive for her to start anew. The original thought to posting the event was simply a reminder to us not to be tempted to turn off ADS-B (or other archivable logs) as we're climbing through 18k" w/o a wave window. See below:

"...under 49 U.S.C. § 44709(b), the certificate is no longer valid and the holder may not exercise any of its privileges. Unlike a
suspension, a certificate that has been revoked cannot be reinstated. ....To be issued an airman certificate following
revocation, an individual must retake all tests, whether written, oral, or practical."

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...Board%20(NTSB).
https://blog.globalair.com/post/2017...-Or-Revokes-It
Old May 18th 21, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

The parrot wasn't squawking ADS-B, that's for sure. I see an occasional
C-17 transmitting it, but it seems most military traffic isn't equipped
even today.

On 5/17/21 12:35 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
We only did that during certain mission profiles.Â* Otherwise the parrot
was squawking.

Dan
5J

Old May 18th 21, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 11:35:16 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
The parrot wasn't squawking ADS-B, that's for sure. I see an occasional
C-17 transmitting it, but it seems most military traffic isn't equipped
even today.
On 5/17/21 12:35 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
We only did that during certain mission profiles. Otherwise the parrot
was squawking.

Dan
5J

Become a military pilot...they will turn tracking off, when they
choose.

For obvious reasons I would think that most military traffic would not be ADS-B broadcasting. I certainly know the ones going into 2901 are NOT. There have been a couple of points here on this thread that are very interesting.. One was that Ole Andy is clueless about Restricted Zone operation. The good point that Tony made was that ATC has the latest operational information on Hot or Cold for these restricted areas. Each Restricted area has an ATC zone that is responsible for that information, in our case it is Miami Center. That Center has a mission desk that receives operational status the day or afternoon prior as to the operational times for that specific RA.
For our area that information comes from MacDill AFB usually around 4pm, As Tony stated do not plan on using the NOTAM as the true determination as to whether the zone is HOT or Cold. These zones can change within a few hours notice. You can call the mission desk for that center and as in our case they are always very informative as to the operational hours. I my case I will call the Mission desk, get the current status of each area within that RA, there is usually a 4 hour window for a zone to become operational. I always check with the ATC to confirm the current status to double check the status, I do this by calling Miami ATC on the radio as I am approaching the RA. Keep in mind that these areas are multi purpose military training areas, aircraft, helicopter, artillery, and special warfare training takes place in some of these RA areas. I have has a F-18 circle me outside of the RA while in the MOA, we gave each other the thumbs up, it was great. Old Bob
Old May 18th 21, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 5/18/2021 11:00 AM, wrote:
[...]

I'm very disturbed by the idea that airspace NOTAMS can change after I've taken off. Why
should I or anyone waste their time looking at them on the ground, if they have to contact
ATC in the air as they approach the airspace, so they know what the airspace status is?

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
Old May 18th 21, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 2:13:36 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 5/18/2021 11:00 AM, wrote:
[...]

Amos, I would suggest that in your case it would be very prudent to check not only the NOTAM, but the active status of the RA if you plan to fly through it. I really don't think that the military gives a rats ass if you choose to ignore a NOTAM or RA, but the FAA will. A NOTAM can be issued at any time, I call and issue NOTAMS for our field on several occasions. I give the agency the X52 designation and my authority initials, they ask me what time it should commence and end along with the reason, they reply with a NOTAM identification number. Just because you want to fly does not excuse your violation. Old Bob
Old May 18th 21, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 2:13:36 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I'm very disturbed by the idea that airspace NOTAMS can change after I've taken off. Why
should I or anyone waste their time looking at them on the ground, if they have to contact
ATC in the air as they approach the airspace, so they know what the airspace status is?

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

That seems to happen more often than one would think! Talk to the guys who fly the ridges in Central PA. When the POTUS decides to hop in a chopper and spend the weekend at Camp David, the no-fly zone around it covers a good part of the ridge(s). I am sure a NOTAM will be published but you will not know about it until you get visited by a black helicopter.
A similar thing happened a number of years ago when the POTUS was campaigning for reelection in OH. A NOTAM for a 'moving no-fly' zone was issued for the corridor between Toledo and Columbus but not even the ATC in that area knew, where the motorcade was at any moment. I inquired about it with Akon/Canton and their response was 'Well - do you see any Black Hawks circling you? No? Good - then you are not in it, yet!' We decided to pack it in for the day and fire up the grill.

Uli
'AS'
Old May 18th 21, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 5:12:22 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
[...]

Uli, you are absolutely correct, it happens more than you realize. It is the responsibility of the individual to know what the factors are in a VIP or RA situation. Having a great contact line with the agency is of utmost importance. When the Trumpster was in office, wish he still was, I would get an email from the Col. at Tyndall AFB advising me of the TFR for my local airport, we made sure that we knew exactly when and where the TFR was active. Yes, he did hop in the Helo and visit Lake O, the TFR followed.