C-182's to avoid?

Old November 14th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default C-182's to avoid?

Is there a line in time or models where 182's should be avoided?

Better an older 182 or a newer 177 with 180 hp constant speed?

IMHO it's a dicey time to be buying any big-bore, fuel-injected, 200+
horsepower airplane. With 100 LL on its way out -- and no approved
replacement in the wings -- prices of these birds have no where to go
but down.

If I were looking for a plane like this (and I own a very similar
airplane) I would restrict my search to normally-aspirated, low
compression engines that can run on mogas. (Although even that is a
crap-shoot now, with mandatory ethanol pollution in many states.) At
least you'll have a plane that can be used (and sold) at some point
down the line.

Unless oil prices stabilize -- which seems unlikely -- the market for
gasoline-powered, high-compression aircraft will remain very, very
uncertain.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

The O-470 is a low compression engine that runs on mogas. You ought to
know, Jay, you've filled our 182 up from the Grape several times now.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

ups.com...

Old November 14th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Is there a line in time or models where 182's should be avoided?

Better an older 182 or a newer 177 with 180 hp constant speed?

IMHO it's a dicey time to be buying any big-bore, fuel-injected, 200+
horsepower airplane. With 100 LL on its way out -- and no approved
replacement in the wings -- prices of these birds have no where to go
but down.

If I were looking for a plane like this (and I own a very similar
airplane) I would restrict my search to normally-aspirated, low
compression engines that can run on mogas. (Although even that is a
crap-shoot now, with mandatory ethanol pollution in many states.) At
least you'll have a plane that can be used (and sold) at some point
down the line.

Jay, my 1967 C-182 ran just fine on auto gas.

Matt
Old November 15th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:

I was speaking with a somewhat smug fellow the other day who claimed

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Cheers,
Alan
Old November 15th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

IMHO it's a dicey time to be buying any big-bore, fuel-injected, 200+
horsepower airplane. With 100 LL on its way out

I've been hearing that for 15 years. It's no more true today than back
then.

-- and no approved
replacement in the wings

92UL is but a few signatures away. A very tiny number of engines can't
use it but everything else can.

-- prices of these birds have no where to go
but down.

Merely a downturn as in the 70's. Aviation is cyclical.

If I were looking for a plane like this (and I own a very similar
airplane) I would restrict my search to normally-aspirated, low
compression engines that can run on mogas. (Although even that is a
crap-shoot now, with mandatory ethanol pollution in many states.) At
least you'll have a plane that can be used (and sold) at some point
down the line.

Buying a plane that can run on mogas has a lower life expectancy than
100LL. Won't be long before all mogas has alcohol.

Old November 15th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

Check:

http://download.aopa.org/epilot/2007/071114epa.pdf
Old November 15th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

The O-470 is a low compression engine that runs on mogas. You ought to
know, Jay, you've filled our 182 up from the Grape several times now.

Yep, I know. But the OP was asking about which models to avoid, so I
was suggesting that he avoid the later fuel-injected, high compression
models that can only run on 100 LL.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

See & Avoid Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 27 August 2nd 07 01:27 PM
See and avoid... Ramy Soaring 22 January 30th 07 09:18 PM
See and Avoid applies to both IFR and VFR Brad Z Piloting 14 July 17th 04 05:48 AM
Avoid CSA website F.L. Whiteley Soaring 2 June 23rd 04 10:21 PM
See and avoid Kees Mies Piloting 39 March 22nd 04 08:31 PM