LS-3/17m Johnson report

Old November 11th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default LS-3/17m Johnson report

Anyone know if the Johnson flight test for the 17m version of the LS-3
is available on the web?

Thanks,
Brad
Old November 11th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Brad,
It is on the SSA website under "Soaring Magazine" and "Johnson
Reports...."
Thanks - Renny

Old November 11th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Nov 10, 8:51*pm, Brad wrote:

Anyone know if the Johnson flight test for the 17m version of the LS-3
is available on the web?

Thanks,
Brad- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Renny,

Now I've discovered I forgot my password...............will give the
office a call tomorrow and get things straigtened out.

Brad
Old November 11th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Here is the direct link. Note that you have to be a member to
download the file.

http://ssa.org/members/johnson/files...33-1980-06.pdf
Old November 12th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

It's archived he

http://web.archive.org/web/200502061...es/Johnson.asp
Old November 12th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Archer

At 03:18 12 November 2008, Bernie wrote:
It's archived he

http://web.archive.org/web/200502061...es/Johnson.asp

never mind the Johnson report, where is there one for sale? I want one!
"Growing out" of your LS cockpit? I'll trade you a Kestrel 17...
Though I do love the Kestrel.
Old November 12th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

http://web.archive.org/web/200502061...a.org/Magazine...

never mind the Johnson report, where is there one for sale? I want one!
"Growing out" of your LS cockpit? I'll trade you a Kestrel 17...
Though I do love the Kestrel.

Jim -

I've flown an LS-4 and love it; but the LS-3/17 to me is a bit of an
odd duck. The tip extensions have no control surfaces and are fairly
thick/cambered. This restricts the ballast you can carry and the
speeds you can fly (especially when it comes to reflexed flap
settings). IIRC, the Johnson reports only showed an extra 3 - 4
points of L/D (from the original 39:1 or 40:1)...

Since you can't fly fast with the flaps reflexed and you can't carry
ballast, the wing-loading is going to be lower and your flaps will be
less-optimal and therefore IMHO the extended wingtips aren't going to
be much (if any) benefit - especially in strong conditions. I could
see them helping out on a light/"scratchy" day; but that's about it.

And for the record, I'm not knocking the base LS-3 or LS-3a design...
Of the pre-ASW-20 flapped ships, I think its one of the best.

Take care,

--Noel
(DG-300 driver, flapped-ship-dreamer)
Old November 12th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Nov 12, 3:01*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

Pre ASW-20 flapped ship?
Old November 13th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Nov 12, 2:35*pm, Mike wrote:

Pre ASW-20 flapped ship?

Yeah - DG-200, LS-3, Mini-Nimbus, Mosquito, various HP's, Libelles,
etc.

(OK, if you want to get nit-picky, the "pre-ASW-20" comment isn't
strictly applicable to the DG-200 and LS-3, depending on how you count
flights of the prototypes and when they made it into true commercial
production and such... But you know what I mean: Sailplanes that
debuted before the ASW-20 had cemented its popularity and reputation
as the cream of the crop of its generation of 15m craft. But its much
shorter and simpler to just say "pre-ASW-20 flapped ship".)

--Noel