PowerFLARM Core

Old April 23rd 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default PowerFLARM Core

Hi all in US-glider land!

I am in the process of installing my brand new core and intend to use the Dsub9 connector for power. Can anyone confirm which color cable is connected to pin 7 (+) and pin 5 (-)?
Why do they keep that such a secret - the manual does not give a hint?
I paid good money for it and don't want to let out the magic smoke the first time I turn it on.

Thanks,

Uli
Old April 23rd 16, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Hello Uli:
Try this link.
Jim

http://clearnav.net/FLARM/FLARM_Connect-Final.pdf
Old April 23rd 16, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 5:42:59 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Hello Uli:
Try this link.
Jim

http://clearnav.net/FLARM/FLARM_Connect-Final.pdf

Just do a continuity check (beeps on my multimeter) on pin 7 and 5 against all the colours. I have had a number of cables (do club installs) with various colours - even from the same distributor, bought at the same time. I do it every time, just to avoid all that smoke coming out. Takes a moment.
Old April 23rd 16, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On my cable it is:

Yellow = ground
Blue = +12v power

However, I would recommend using a meter to double check your cable before applying any power.

Robert

Old April 24th 16, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 4:46:43 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Hi all in US-glider land!

I am in the process of installing my brand new core and intend to use the Dsub9 connector for power. Can anyone confirm which color cable is connected to pin 7 (+) and pin 5 (-)?
Why do they keep that such a secret - the manual does not give a hint?
I paid good money for it and don't want to let out the magic smoke the first time I turn it on.

Thanks,

Uli

Thanks, guys! Metering 'yellow & blue' it is. The ClearNav link is also very helpful!
Would be nice if FLARM could standardize the wiring harness and publish what is what! Just imagine selling a consumer electronics product and leave the customer guessing ....

Uli
Old April 24th 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

The early PF Brick manuals had a chart
matching DB9 wire colors to pins, but
Flarm discovered that suppliers silently
changed them around; so removed the
chart from the manual.

Yep, you have to use a meter to match
colors to pins.

Old April 24th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

Not sure which manual your looking at but if you download the one he
http://flarm.com/support/manuals-documents/
It show all the pin outs (pages 11-12) and color chart for DB connector (page 13)

To answer your question white = ground red = 12V power supply. Good luck, just finished my install yesterday.
Old April 30th 16, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 10:54:26 AM UTC-4, Karl Kunz wrote:
Not sure which manual your looking at but if you download the one he
http://flarm.com/support/manuals-documents/
It show all the pin outs (pages 11-12) and color chart for DB connector (page 13)

To answer your question white = ground red = 12V power supply. Good luck, just finished my install yesterday.

Karl, I was looking at the manual that came with the unit and it does not show the colors. I metered the pins and you are correct, red is +12V, white is - or ground.
Thanks,
Uli
Old May 1st 16, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 20:35:37 -0700, AS wrote:

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 10:54:26 AM UTC-4, Karl Kunz wrote:
Not sure which manual your looking at but if you download the one he
http://flarm.com/support/manuals-documents/
It show all the pin outs (pages 11-12) and color chart for DB connector
(page 13)

To answer your question white = ground red = 12V power supply. Good
luck, just finished my install yesterday.

Karl, I was looking at the manual that came with the unit and it does
not show the colors. I metered the pins and you are correct, red is
+12V, white is - or ground.
Thanks,
Uli

The best way to handle the color-code issue, particularly if you're using
the RS-232 data lines, is to take the supplied cut cable and drop it in a
trash can.

Get a M/F extension cable of appropriate length, and connect it to a
cheap RS-232 to TTL converter with male pins. Note that pins 2, 3, and 5
are conventional usage for 9 pin RS-232, other pins are N/C for the
converter. You'll have a neat little bulkhead connector that can mount
on a junction box, and the RS-232 lines are converted to TTL for you.
Put a little jumper from pin 8 to VCC on the converter to power it, and
whatever other circuitry you want with +5 from FLARM. Then you just have
to send +12 out to the FLARM on pin 7.

Much nicer than trying to solder those flimsy little wires in the cut
cable.

-Dave