Tow plane ideas

Old May 27th 21, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Tow plane ideas

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 3:56:29 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 2:37:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My glider club is looking into the possibility of a new or upgraded tow plane. We currently have a 160hp supercub, but we have also looked into a rare-as-hens-teeth piper pawnee. As i poke around barnstormers and trade a plane, i have seen ads for a 190hp vans RV-6, a maule 235, a stinson 200+ hp, motorgliders, cessna 188, etc.

Anyone out there have some ideas for a tow plane that might be very functional but also (perhaps) not well known? Ive seen stories on stinson's maule's and wilga's being used in the past, for example, but it would be good to hear of some currently used "unusual" towplanes.

thanks for any feedback!

Don't know much about unusual towplanes, they are all just workhorses. I have had three Pawnee's and flown many more towplanes , currently have what we call Towpecker, a 235 that is actually about 270, and it pulls very well. The Pawnee is the go to towplane, but there are others that do quiet well like the old straight tail 182. I like the way the 188 flies a bit better that the Pawnee, also flew a 400 hp Brave that did very well.
Everybody wants a Pawnee, for obvious reasons, finding a towplane these days is not the problem, finding a tow pilot is another story. The Wilga makes a good towplane, but operational cost are high, also there are a few ugly looking French towplanes around, just cannot remember their names. Recently ran across a good old Air Tractor, but once again the operational cost are high. You must look at operational cost vs performance,
You might be better off going to 180 hp in that Super Cub, we did that back in the day in Miami and it worked very well. The Purist, Old Bob

What about looking at a C 180/182, particularly with the 180HP motor? Those should work adequately for most applications.
Old May 27th 21, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton KSz

8GCBC Scout
Aviat Husky

Old May 28th 21, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

One club decided on a 182 over a Pawnee. Parts availability was a major factor. Also easier to do check outs.

Considerable cylinder work and cooling issues ensued. Changed to a Pawnee.

Old May 28th 21, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Bures

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:42:37 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
The C-180 has 230 hp.

Dan
5J
On 5/27/21 4:09 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't think the RV-6 is viable, legally speaking (experimental cert). But I'm just reading from google searches, and could be wrong.
Too bad, I think a bare bones Zenith or similar STOL kit might make a good economical tow plane.

Given the expense and dwindling availability of tow planes, has SSA considered lobbying to change CFR 91.319 to allow towing of any (not just LSA) sailplane?
Old May 29th 21, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 2:37:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My glider club is looking into the possibility of a new or upgraded tow plane. We currently have a 160hp supercub, but we have also looked into a rare-as-hens-teeth piper pawnee. As i poke around barnstormers and trade a plane, i have seen ads for a 190hp vans RV-6, a maule 235, a stinson 200+ hp, motorgliders, cessna 188, etc.

Anyone out there have some ideas for a tow plane that might be very functional but also (perhaps) not well known? Ive seen stories on stinson's maule's and wilga's being used in the past, for example, but it would be good to hear of some currently used "unusual" towplanes.

thanks for any feedback!

I don't know your special needs but many of the suggested options are not much better that the Cub. We have used our 160 hp Cub for over 40 years with good results. It is hard to find an easier tug to keep operating. One real improvement was adding the seaplane(Borer) prop. It really improves initial acceleration and lets the engine turn higher rpm which adds usable horsepower. It also comes down faster. When you are ready for a second tug, wait until you can find a Pawnee.
Good luck
UH
Old May 29th 21, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 1:37:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My glider club is looking into the possibility of a new or upgraded tow plane. We currently have a 160hp supercub, but we have also looked into a rare-as-hens-teeth piper pawnee. As i poke around barnstormers and trade a plane, i have seen ads for a 190hp vans RV-6, a maule 235, a stinson 200+ hp, motorgliders, cessna 188, etc.

Anyone out there have some ideas for a tow plane that might be very functional but also (perhaps) not well known? Ive seen stories on stinson's maule's and wilga's being used in the past, for example, but it would be good to hear of some currently used "unusual" towplanes.

thanks for any feedback!

Callair 290HP on Wings and Wheels classifieds for 37K.

It is possible (or so I am told) to actually import a Pawnee from Argentina.. The paperwork and processing will probably choke the last bit of life out of your club, but it's at least possible.

I have seen (personally) the Callair and know the seller. It's not a pretty airplane but I doubt you'll find one with a better powerplant for the money.
Old May 30th 21, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I know where there is an out of time Pawnee ,both engine and airframe sitting at my local airfield
owner not seeming to be interested in rebuilding , probably get it for almost nothing just have to freight
it to US.
If you rebuilt it you would know exactly what you have.
I have no interest in the plane ,if you want more info email me and I will see if I can get the owner contact details for you

Gary

Old May 30th 21, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jackson maddux

Hi all, These are great ideas and I will be discussing them with the board and membership of the club . If there are more ideas, please keep them coming!

PW-5 Trailer Ideas? Ed Anderson Soaring 2 September 16th 17 01:07 PM
Any ideas, chaps ? Dingo[_4_] Aviation Photos 5 October 27th 10 03:32 PM
pc ideas? derFlieger Simulators 3 May 5th 05 11:26 PM
GPS Ideas RD Piloting 24 December 12th 03 11:53 AM
flight sim Ideas Steve Simulators 0 July 13th 03 08:56 AM