Hang Gliding Documentary "Big Blue Sky"

Old November 5th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaranator

Default Hang Gliding Documentary "Big Blue Sky"

It is finally done and available! I'm posting this here because I
know a lot of old hang glider pilots spend their time in sailplanes
these days. I've spent the last 5 and 1/2 years making this
documentary about the birth of the first extreme sport, hang gliding.
The running time is 78 minutes and features interviews with the
pioneers of the sport, rare still images and never before seen film
clips. Lloyd Licher, past Executive Director of the SSA tells how he
almost lost his job while helping to organize this new sport, which he
saw as the perfect "farm" for future sailplane pilots. Dr. Paul
McCready tells about his involvement early in the sport and what it
did for him. Many of the pioneers of hang giding tell their stories
along with photos and flim of the events they describe. If you like
soaring, you need to know more about the lost frontier of flight, the
story of hang gliding in the 70s. www.bigblueskythemovie.com
My apologies for the blatant ad, but I want to get the word to the old
dangle diver dudes out there!
Bill Liscomb
Old November 5th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Looks interesting but (it might be just me) the quicktime video only
plays half way through and then stops.

Also, there is another DVD on the same web site called "Out and Return
- A day in the life of a sailplane pilot". But there is no additional
description. What are the details? How long does it run?

Thanks, John
Old November 5th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaranator

On Nov 5, 10:54�am, ContestID67 wrote:
Looks interesting but (it might be just me) the quicktime video only
plays half way through and then stops.

Also, there is another DVD on the same web site called "Out and Return
- A day in the life of a sailplane pilot". �But there is no additional
description. �What are the details? �How long does it run?

Thanks, John

John;
Out and Return runs 15 minutes and is intended for people with little
knowledge of soaring, like my friends who play golf, etc. It starts
with setting up the glider, doing a preflight, takeoff, a fictional
XC, barely making it back home, and landing. I used a lipstick camera
zip-tied to my sunglasses, over the shoulder shots and looking down
the wing, along with air-to-air and ground-to-air shots. Then, it
shows the flight on SeeYou. 15 minutes is how long my wife can stay
awake for any kind of airplane stuff on tv....
Out and Return won a Platinum Remi Award at the 2007 Houston
International Film Festival.
If you go to www.youtube.com and search for "Big Blue Sky Trailer" you
might have better luck.
Enjoy
Bill
Old November 5th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Nov 5, 10:03*am, Soaranator wrote:
[...]

EXCELLENT!! I was wondering when it would become available. I had the
pleasure of seeing one of your sneak preview showings at the 07' ESA/
SHA meet at Tehachapi. A first rate production that I very much look
forward to finally adding to my soaring library and sharing for years
to come.

-Paul

PS. I love the cloud fringing footage filmed by 'mystery glider "X" in
Out and Return...
Old November 6th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:41:01 -0800, Soaranator wrote:

If you go to www.youtube.com and search for "Big Blue Sky Trailer" you
might have better luck.

Nice, though short trailer. Thanks for posting it.
Then I had a look round and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2W-3...eature=related

which is about hang gliding at Dustaable. Nice shots from a thermalling
HG plus views of the LGC field and the odd ridge running K-21.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 6th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Another "Big Blue Sky" trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1pcg...eature=related