Homemade US Sectional Charts for SeeYou

Old December 13th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Homemade US Sectional Charts for SeeYou

As many of you have noticed, the US Sectional charts distributed with
SeeYou are getting pretty seriously stale. Kind of like last week's
sushi. Current charts can be downloaded directly from the FAA (they
currently cost $1.60 each), but they have to be reprojected and
cropped before they can be used with SeeYou. While I've been somewhat
impatiently waiting for an update from Naviter, I've been
experimenting to see if I can do the conversions myself without having
to buy expensive tools.

It has taken some time to do this, but I have finally worked out how
to accomplish the required operations using totally free software
tools. The process isn't for the faint of heart -- at a minimum you
need to be familiar with how to use a text editor and use basic DOS
shell commands. 17 individual steps are required. I can now do the
process in 15 minutes or so for each chart. The results seem to me to
be about as good as the ones from Naviter.

Check out the Maps forum on the Naviter website (see link below) for a
similar posting to this one. Attached to it is a pdf containing
complete instructions and a script that automates much of the process.

Happy reprojecting!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

http://www.naviter.si/component/opti...8/topic,3304.0
Old December 13th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Lynn,

Good stuff! Do you mind if I take a stab at automating the process on
my justsoar.com server? (Does the FAA prohibit giving away re-
projections of charts that had to be paid for?)

2NO
Old December 14th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

I think you will find the sectional charts available to FlyWithCE Navigator
http://www.flywithce.com/ are done pretty much the same way
tim

Old December 14th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Tim,

Of course, please feel free to use my scripts and instructions any way
you like. It would be great if we could get current sectionals for
SeeYou from justsoar.com.

I believe it is perfectly legal to reproduce and redistribute the
sectionals, provided correct attribution is given. As a matter of
fact, here is a quote from the html file that comes with the
distribution:

"Acknowledgement of the FAA would be appreciated in products derived
from these data. When product developers or other customers
acknowledge the FAA as the source of the data, the FAA seal or
initials cannot be used to imply that a product is endorsed, approved,
or authorized by the FAA."

I have also been working on easy methods of doing batch
reprojections. I'll email you about that directly sometime in the
next couple of days.

Best,

Lynn
"2KA"

Old December 14th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Tem,

Whoops. I actually meant to address the message below to Ted, but a
neuron misfired when I typed the first line. But of course the same
applies to you as well. I'll send along my thoughts on doing files in
batches as soon as I have them organized.

L.

On Dec 14, 7:15*am, "Tim Mara" wrote:
thanks

Old December 14th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Lynn,

Thanks for doing this. Great stuff.

- John

Old December 14th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Government publications are not subject to copyright law; they are all
considered as information for the public. Purchase prices are to cover
the cost of production and not for profit. As a matter of fact, there are
libraries in every state (and very likely every county) in which there are
Government Publications departments; this includes university libraries
and public libraries.

The Government Printing Office sends new publications monthly to these
libraries -- free of charge. The librarians select from a list those
items most likely to be of interest to their clientele. Sectional Charts
are one of the choices and they were always in my university's library.
You can view, copy, and even sell for profit anything the government
publishes.

At 16:26 14 December 2008, 2KA wrote:
Tem,

Whoops. I actually meant to address the message below to Ted, but a
neuron misfired when I typed the first line. But of course the same
applies to you as well. I'll send along my thoughts on doing files in
batches as soon as I have them organized.

L.

On Dec 14, 7:15=A0am, "Tim Mara" wrote:
thanks
tim"2KA" wrote in message

Tim,

Of course, please feel free to use my scripts and instructions any

way
you like. =A0It would be great if we could get current sectionals

for
SeeYou from justsoar.com.

I believe it is perfectly legal to reproduce and redistribute the
sectionals, provided correct attribution is given. =A0As a matter of
fact, here is a quote from the html file that comes with the
distribution:

"Acknowledgement of the FAA would be appreciated in products

derived
from these data. When product developers or other customers
acknowledge the FAA as the source of the data, the FAA seal or
initials cannot be used to imply that a product is endorsed,

approved,
or authorized by the FAA."

I have also been working on easy methods of doing batch
reprojections. =A0I'll email you about that directly sometime in

the
next couple of days.

Best,

Lynn