Soaring Seminar Feb 21 2009 Chicago, IL

Old December 23rd 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Soaring Seminar Feb 21 2009 Chicago, IL

Full Details http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/seminar

Overview
-------------
The ChicagoLand Glider Council is sponsoring a day long spring soaring
and safety seminar open to all soaring pilots. Safety, medicine,
racing, competition, gear, gliders and gab will be on the agenda.

The ChicagoLand Glider Council is a non-profit organization of over
200 members which was formed in 1937 and has a long history of
dedication to the advancement and safety of soaring flight. The
Council hosts off-season (October through April) meetings with
scheduled speakers and refreshments at a local venue. The Council
also provides youth grants and helps underwrite local soaring events.

Date
-------
Saturday, February 21st, 2009

Times
-------
7AM - Doors open for registration
7AM-8AM - Continental Breakfast buffet
8AM - Seminar begins SHARP!

Location
-----------
The location of the seminar is Elgin, Illinois (northwest of downtown
Chicago) along Rt 90 at the Business Conference Center of Elgin
Community College’s impressive and modern Seigle Auditorium.

Confirmed Speaker List
-----------
John Cochrane - Competition & Cross Country Soaring
Dr Dan Johnson (AME) - Aviation Medical Issues
Jim Short and Dave Schuur - Vintage Soaring Aviation
Paul Remde - Soaring Electronics
Trace Lewis and Scott Manley - Condor Soaring Virtual Reality
Demonstration

===================================
Costs, hotels, directions, etc - see http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/seminar/

Thanks, John DeRosa
President, ChicagoLand Glider Council
johnatderosaweb.com
Old February 16th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Final Call to attend this seminar on Feb 21 in Elgin, IL (just outside
Chicago). Below is the line up of the great speakers and topics.
Complete details at http://chicagolandglidercouncil.com/seminar.

See You There!
John DeRosa
President, ChicagoLand Glider Council

===================

John Cochrane - Judgment, Decision Making and Safety in Cross Country
- Judgment, decision making and safety, focused on cross country and
contest flying. My vague idea is to look at the FAA recommended
judgment training with all its cute little acronyms, and try to take
it seriously as a framework for thinking about decision making. Then
we'll do some "scenario based training" to try to apply principles.
I'll bring along some traces and see you if I can get that to work,
and we'll also talk about personal minimums and preplanning tough
decisions. Like, stretch for Teterboro or go for the Hudson?

Dr Dan Johnson MD (AME) - We don't know what we don't know - Don't
laugh -- sometimes we act as though this isn’t true, that everything
we do know is enough, especially those of us who possess only one X
chromosome. This can sometimes bite real hard, always a real surprise.
Dr. Dan will discuss this natural ignorance as someone who does not
have eyes in the back of his head, leading us all to a better
understanding of our perceptual limits.

Jim Short and Dave Schuur - Vintage Sailplanes - This speech will
describe what a vintage sailplane is, what the Vintage Sailplane
Association does and what it stands for. A “Vintage” sailplane was
designed or built before 1958 which any glider than older than 25
years is considered a “Classic”. Included is a description of several
restoration projects and what they entail, with a review of several
representative vintage sailplanes and how you can get involved in the
vintage sailplane movement. Sailplanes shown span the 1930’s through
the 1960’s. The talk will include with quiz questions with prizes!

Paul Remde - Soaring Electronics - Paul’s goal is to provide not only
soaring instruments and software, but excellent advice about soaring
instruments and software. He has therefore worked hard to become a
vendor for all brands of soaring instruments and software. That has
allowed him to become knowledgeable about the many different brands
and products and to be uniquely qualified to offer honest advice on
all of them. His goal for this talk is to give a quick overview of the
soaring instruments on the market today, and to highlight the latest
and greatest products on the market. He will be using the product
comparison pages on my web site as a reference for the market
overview. The new products to be highlighted will include the NK
ClearNav, SPOT Messenger, LX8000, glider models, TruTrak Pictorial
Turn & Bank, and a few new books and videos.

Trace Lewis and Scott Manley - Affordable Glider Flight Simulation -
This presentation is a condensed version of two speeches given at the
2008 SSA convention in Albuquerque. 1) The military and the airlines
figured it out a long time ago. Flight simulation is a highly
efficient and cost-effective way to train pilots. With the advent of
micro-computer-based software, we in the glider community now have the
opportunity to bring the benefits of flight simulation to glider pilot
training. Using live flight simulations, this presentation will
demonstrate many of the applications of flight simulation to glider
pilot instruction. 2) The soaring season is over. Your glider is all
put away in storage. You can’t wait for the next edition of Soaring
magazine to show up. You are already counting the days until the next
soaring season begins. The off-season is tough, isn’t it? Wouldn’t it
be great if there was some way you could at least scratch the itch?
Some of us believe there is. In this presentation, you will learn how
you can “keep your head in the game” (not just in the off-season) by
using glider flight simulation.