Space flight industry contribute $3,000,000 to Save Star Trek Enterprise

Old March 4th 05, 06:13 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Mutts wrote:

Happen it did.

Yoda, is that you?

Me it is not.

Then kinfolk you must be...
Old March 4th 05, 07:45 PM
Montblack

("Peter Duniho" wrote)
http://www.nexus1.net/ST-SoundEffects/e012.wav

It's got some background noise, and isn't the greatest recording. If you
want something better, learn to use Google. There's lots more where that
came from.

I saw a TV show (a long time ago) where a sound effects person was showing
some secrets of the trade.

A familiar Star Trek sound was a hammer hitting one of those metal shields,
which cover the bottom 7' of a telephone pole anchoring cable. We used to
throw rocks at those wire shrouds to get the same sound.

I think that was the ship's phasers firing. Maybe it was the photon
torpedoes exploding.

Google.

Montblack

Old March 4th 05, 08:27 PM
Corky Scott

On 03 Mar 2005 16:11:43 GMT, Blanche wrote:

Trek communicators from TOS. Taken a look at the flip cell phones?

I have an interesting and true story relating to those communicators.

I knew a guy who joined the Air Force to learn to fly. Turns out, he
did not time his joining very well, he did not qualify for flight
training because he was a few weeks too old. So he was stuck for the
duration in a hell only the military could produce.

During the first month of training and indoctorination, which occured
in some very hot and dry area devoid of vegitation, he learned that
the military had it's own way of doing things. For instance, the
military felt that an idle mind was the work of the devil so they'd
have the recruits mow the lawns, simultaneously and in formation.
Only there wasn't any grass, it was all sand, dirt and dust. So here
are these guys all marching with their lawn mowers mowing the sand.
The dust from this excersize, he told me, looked like a dust storm
from the 30's.

I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

Chow was served in tents and when it came time to eat, everyone rushed
double time for the chow tent because it wasn't big enough for
everyone to be seated at once. So if you arrived a few seconds after
the other squads, you stood at parade rest outside the tent in the
blazing sun.

One day my friend arrives for lunch and his squad is late so they are
standing in the sun just melting from the heat. A number of rows up,
this one guy steps out of line and raises his hand to his lips. He
makes an opening motion with his other hand, with full beeping sound
effects and says into his open hand "Kirk to Enterprize, BEAM ME UP"

My friend told me the guy was jumped by the DI's who dragged him off
to the stockade.

Corky Scott

Old March 4th 05, 11:22 PM
Morgans

"Roger" wrote

TOS was canceled after the first season, but due to the effort of fans
it was brought back.

TOS?
--
Jim in NC

Old March 5th 05, 12:27 AM
Jose

TOS?

The Original Series.

Jose
--
Math is a game. The object of the game is to figure out the rules.
Old March 5th 05, 12:30 AM
Montblack

("Morgans" wrote)
TOS?

The Original Series - Kirk, Spock, Scotty...

Montblack

Old March 5th 05, 02:29 AM
Blanche

hang out on rec.startrek.* and you'll catch on to the abbreviations
real fast:

TOS - The Origial Series, aka Classic Trek
TNG - The Next Generation
DS9 - Deep Space 9, not to be confused with JPL's DS1 or Deep Space 1
satellite
VOY - Voyager
ENT - Enterprise - currently on UPN, now cancelled
TAS - The Animated series. Cartoon spinnoff back in the 70s
B&B - Berman & Braga; Rick Berman & Brannon Braga, the producers.
STx where x is an arabic number that refers to the appropriate film
and the title is irrelevant. For example,
ST4 - The Voyage Home
ST - Star Trek
SW - Star Wars

True Trekkies/Trekkers/whatever know instinctively which film
is being discussed without the trivialities of "titles".

Hey, don't blame me! I never sat thru the last 2 ST films nor the
SW1(4) or SW2(5) in the theatres.

why SW1(4)? Because it was the 4th film made but according to
Lucas, the 1st film in the first trilogy. Not to be confused with
SW4, which was the first film of the middle trilogy which was the
first SW film made back in 1977.

Clear?

sorta like learning to do holds....

(*chortle*)

Old March 5th 05, 04:40 AM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Morgans" wrote)
TOS?

The Original Series - Kirk, Spock, Scotty...

Montblack

I feel so foolish. I will have to turn in my trek insignia.

I went to the publicity tour stop for ST1, in Columbus Oh, back in 76 or 77,
when they had several cast members tour with some clips from the movie that
did not even have all of the special effects edited in, yet. kinda cool,
but I saw then that there were some there in uniforms, and such. Too much
for me.

I was close to that, in one respect. I would always try to schedule classes
so I could be home by 4 PM, to see the daily rerun of TOS. Hmmm.

I do hope they get Enterprise back on. Although there were times that I did
not like the direction of the series, overall, I did enjoy it.
--
Jim in NC