Commercial ASEL and AMEL rides at the same time?

Old July 28th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Johnson

Default Commercial ASEL and AMEL rides at the same time?

I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

--

Matt

Old July 28th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Matt Johnson wrote:
I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

I don't see why not. It looks like it should cover your bases. To be
absolutely sure, why don't you ask your examiner if it will suit him? He's the
one you have to satisfy.

I do know you will eventually need a multi rating if you want to go anywhere in
flying for a living. Even though you won't get any multi jobs to begin with,
just the fact that you have the rating is going to open doors to you that
weren't before.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old July 28th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 27, 10:24 pm, "Matt Johnson" wrote:
I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

--

Matt

We used to do the ASEL/AMEL rides together using a Cessna 140 and 310.
All the complex requirements were done in the 310.

-Robert

Old July 28th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message oups.com...
On Jul 27, 10:24 pm, "Matt Johnson" wrote:
I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

--

Matt

We used to do the ASEL/AMEL rides together using a Cessna 140 and 310.
All the complex requirements were done in the 310.

-Robert

I did mine in a C-172 & C-310

Old July 28th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jul 28, 12:24 am, "Matt Johnson" wrote:
I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

--

Matt

Sure...you just fail an engine and do the re

Old July 28th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jul 28, 12:24 am, "Matt Johnson" wrote:
I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

--

Matt

Sure...gg you simply fail and feather one engine, do the failed
portions of your SEL test, and fire up the other engine and finish the
test for MEL.
I seriously doubt an examiner will be able to do it. You can't have
two engines or more and still call it a SEL.

Old July 28th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

Sure...gg you simply fail and feather one engine, do the failed
portions of your SEL test, and fire up the other engine and finish the
test for MEL.
I seriously doubt an examiner will be able to do it. You can't have
two engines or more and still call it a SEL.

Uh... did you miss something here?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old July 28th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jul 28, 12:24 am, "Matt Johnson" wrote:
I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

--

Matt

Yes...be careful with the dates (ie how long from the test to the
retest) but the ME would easily satisfy the complex aircraft part of
it.

Wheather or not this is a good idear would depend precisly on what
type of manuevers have to be redone...

Robert

Old July 28th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jul 28, 9:35 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jul 27, 10:24 pm, "Matt Johnson" wrote:

I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

--

Matt

We used to do the ASEL/AMEL rides together using a Cessna 140 and 310.
All the complex requirements were done in the 310.

-Robert

Cessna 170 and a 135 hp Apache here.

The MEI was done in a 235 apache at the same time as the II.

Robert

Old July 28th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mark Hansen

On 07/28/07 10:26, Luke Skywalker wrote:
On Jul 28, 12:24 am, "Matt Johnson" wrote:
I recently took my commercial ASEL ride and must retake a few parts of the
practical portion, but the complex single I've been using is no longer
available to me. A CFI friend suggested that I could start my multiengine
training now, then take a combined ASEL/AMEL commercial ride, whereby the
complex requirement would be satisfied by the twin, and I could do the areas
I need to retake in a non-complex single. Is this permissible?

--

Matt

Yes...be careful with the dates (ie how long from the test to the
retest) but the ME would easily satisfy the complex aircraft part of
it.

Well ... so long as the multi-engine airplane is a "complex". Not all
of them are.

Wheather or not this is a good idear would depend precisly on what
type of manuevers have to be redone...

Robert

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers