Piston engine 101 Course?

Old October 26th 03, 06:51 AM

Default Piston engine 101 Course?

Does anyone know of a one-day course on non-fuel-injected piston
aircraft engines? Sort of an Engines 101? Six-cylinder preferred;
Continental 0-300 ideal. Advanced Pilots Seminars has an extensive
course on piston engines but it's far more advanced than I need. I'd
like someone to walk me through the basics of my engine from a
seasoned rebuilder's perspective. I'd like a first-hand view of what
happens to various engine components as it relates to engine
management. I'd like to see (real metal; not a video or book) what
might result from running too lean, too rich, too hard, too seldom,
too low on oil, or with too much oil. Stuck valves, improper
break-ins, broken rings, bad bearings, improper timing, etc. All with
the idea of being able to use the information to better operate my
engine. Any ideas?
Old October 26th 03, 02:30 PM
EDR

In article ,
wrote:

Does anyone know of a one-day course on non-fuel-injected piston
aircraft engines? Sort of an Engines 101? Six-cylinder preferred;
Continental 0-300 ideal. Advanced Pilots Seminars has an extensive
course on piston engines but it's far more advanced than I need. I'd
like someone to walk me through the basics of my engine from a
seasoned rebuilder's perspective. I'd like a first-hand view of what
happens to various engine components as it relates to engine
management. I'd like to see (real metal; not a video or book) what
might result from running too lean, too rich, too hard, too seldom,
too low on oil, or with too much oil. Stuck valves, improper
break-ins, broken rings, bad bearings, improper timing, etc. All with
the idea of being able to use the information to better operate my
engine. Any ideas?

Everything you expect to learn in one day, you will quickly forget.
You are asking for the Cliff's Notes version of a lifetime of
experience.
Go to the AvWeb site and download John Deakin's columns on engine
operation. Take your time to read and re-read them. Most of the answers
to your questions are to be found in his writings.
Old October 26th 03, 04:35 PM

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:30:38 GMT, EDR wrote:

Everything you expect to learn in one day, you will quickly forget.
You are asking for the Cliff's Notes version of a lifetime of
experience.
Go to the AvWeb site and download John Deakin's columns on engine
operation. Take your time to read and re-read them. Most of the answers
to your questions are to be found in his writings.

I'm not looking for a quick fix but I'm looking for more than
articles. I've read and re-read all manner of books and articles,
including Deakin's. Text and photos are great but the answers to my
questions are not exclusively found in his or anyone else's writings.
I want to see what he's talking about. Seems it would be an additional
benefit rather than a cheap shot.
Old October 27th 03, 12:38 AM
Henry Bibb

wrote in message

I'm not looking for a quick fix but I'm looking for more than
articles. I've read and re-read all manner of books and articles,
including Deakin's. Text and photos are great but the answers to my
questions are not exclusively found in his or anyone else's writings.
I want to see what he's talking about. Seems it would be an additional
benefit rather than a cheap shot.

Go to Oshkosh, hang out in the Mattituck tent, participate in the
dismantle/reassembly demonstrations, hang with the guys, and
ask questions about all the broken bits they have on display.
Short of working in a shop, that should give you a feel for whats
going on inside the cowling.

HB

Old October 27th 03, 03:16 AM
Brian Sponcil

Have you considered...

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...ool2004/2.html

Yeah, it's a lycoming class and yeah it's four days but it sounds like what
you're looking for otherwise.

-Brian
N33431
Iowa City, IA

Old October 27th 03, 04:18 AM

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:16:20 -0600, "Brian Sponcil"
wrote:

Have you considered...

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...ool2004/2.html

Thanks for the link. It looks like it would cover everything I'm
wanting to see.
Dale
Old October 27th 03, 04:19 AM

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:38:37 GMT, "Henry Bibb"
wrote:

Go to Oshkosh, hang out in the Mattituck tent, participate in the
dismantle/reassembly demonstrations, hang with the guys, and
ask questions about all the broken bits they have on display.
Short of working in a shop, that should give you a feel for whats
going on inside the cowling.

Thanks. That's a great idea. It might be enough to get to to attend
Oshkosh, something I've wanted to do but never seem to get around to.

Old October 27th 03, 01:31 PM
David Megginson

wrote in message

Does anyone know of a one-day course on non-fuel-injected piston
aircraft engines? Sort of an Engines 101? Six-cylinder preferred;
Continental 0-300 ideal. Advanced Pilots Seminars has an extensive
course on piston engines but it's far more advanced than I need. I'd
like someone to walk me through the basics of my engine from a
seasoned rebuilder's perspective. I'd like a first-hand view of what
happens to various engine components as it relates to engine
management. I'd like to see (real metal; not a video or book) what
might result from running too lean, too rich, too hard, too seldom,
too low on oil, or with too much oil. Stuck valves, improper
break-ins, broken rings, bad bearings, improper timing, etc. All
with the idea of being able to use the information to better operate
my engine. Any ideas?

You might not want to be so selective -- any course on piston aircraft
engines, four-cylinder or more, fuel injected or carbureted, should be
mostly applicable.

When mechanics say "too lean", they seem to mean "too hot", i.e. too
close to peak CHT (which occurs not far from peak power). That's too
lean compared to a richer setting, but it's also too rich compared to
a leaner setting: the CHT falls off on both sides. If you're
especially interested in this area, I think that John Deakin runs a
(live) course with an engine on a test stand.

All the best,

David
Old October 27th 03, 10:37 PM
Montblack

I finally broke through that wall this year. Drove over this summer from the
Twin Cities, for my first ever Oshkosh.

Will go back next year.

--
Montblack

"Styled by the laws of nature.............Concorde"

wrote)

Old October 28th 03, 02:35 PM
Dave Butler

Hey Henry! How ya doin? Working?

I did the Mattituck disassembly / reassembly exercise at OSH one year, it was a
great experience.

Dave

Henry Bibb wrote:
wrote in message

I'm not looking for a quick fix but I'm looking for more than
articles. I've read and re-read all manner of books and articles,
including Deakin's. Text and photos are great but the answers to my
questions are not exclusively found in his or anyone else's writings.
I want to see what he's talking about. Seems it would be an additional
benefit rather than a cheap shot.

Go to Oshkosh, hang out in the Mattituck tent, participate in the
dismantle/reassembly demonstrations, hang with the guys, and
ask questions about all the broken bits they have on display.
Short of working in a shop, that should give you a feel for whats
going on inside the cowling.

HB

--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367
I want to know how all our oil got under their sand. --Dana Carvey