low over congested area near AFB?

Old February 15th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default low over congested area near AFB?

All,
This seems a little strange to me. I live in the OKC area,
specifically Midwest City. The other morning while walking my dog in
the park, I heard an approaching small plane (you know I ALWAYS look
up!). I thought this was strange as the airspace in that area belongs
to Tinker AFB and that to be able to hear it that well it would have to
be at 1000 AGL or less. I look up as it came overhead, appeared to be a
high wing four place, sounded "stronger" than your average 172.
Well this plane was less than 1000 AGL, more like 500-700, headed
roughly ESE about 1.5-2 miles directly north of TAFB. Because of the
low altitude it quickly disappeared behind the tree line, BUT, it
reappeared maybe only 10-20 seconds later now heading WNW. This guy had
to turn around quick, waaaaay beyond standard rate.
Ok, low altitude, with a quick turn, right north of an Air Force
base? With no place to land within that short short gliding distance he
had, all over an extremely congested area (MWC, Del City residential
areas)?
Now I have seen and been allowed to overfly Tinker at a reasonable
altitude just to pass through, but this guy was up to something else.
I'm thinking he had to be some sort of government (city, state, fed)
plane doing some sort of checking or something. Way too many risks
associated with what they were doing to be unimportant.
It might have been considered a base to 17, however, they would have
never made it without power.
I though it was an anomaly until this morning, while at the doctors
office parking lot, north of the park about 1/2 mile, I saw a similar
situation, actually exactly the same thing but from half a mile away
instead of directly underneath. Plane flew low to the east, until a
little past what is Midwest Blvd, did an extremely quick 180 and headed
out.
Couldn't see if they climbed out as offices and trees obscured my
vision. This was about the same time as the other event, and it may
have also been early in the week.
There is a VOR on the north side of Tinker, but that is a lot (1-1.5
miles) farther than where the plane turned around.
Anyone in MWC see this occur? Any others see similar situations where
they live? I'm sure that something official is occurring, just
wondering what it could be.
There are no other nearby airports the he could be maneuvering for,
and those types of maneuvers would not be tolerated in any pattern.
Strange stuff, no matter what it is I wouldn't want to be the pilot if
ye ole fan stopped turning. He was what I would say might be a low
cruise speed (maybe 100 knots), so he could trade some AS for altitude,
but not much.
Jesse M.

PP-ASEL
A&P

Old February 15th 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Most likely a powerline or pipeline patrol.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old February 15th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Lots of air force bases have flying clubs with civilian planes, and under
certain conditions it is also possible to land at air force bases in
non-military planes on official business.

Old February 15th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Pipeline - powerline
State Police
County Police
AFB security
DEA pot patrol
BATF
Secret Service
NSA
CIA
FEMA
HSA
Commercial photo company
Land Survey company
CAP training or seach flight

lots of authorized flight possiblities

denny...

Old February 15th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Viperdoc wrote:
Lots of air force bases have flying clubs with civilian planes, and under
certain conditions it is also possible to land at air force bases in
non-military planes on official business.

There are also many "joint use" bases.
Old February 18th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Pipeline - powerline
State Police
County Police
AFB security
DEA pot patrol
BATF
Secret Service
NSA
CIA
FEMA
HSA
Commercial photo company
Land Survey company
CAP training or seach flight

lots of authorized flight possiblities

How would any of those get exempt from the congested-area altitude
requirement of 91.119b? The only exception mentioned is for takeoff or
landing.

--Gary

Old February 18th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The first word in Part 91 is except. To the job, the FAA
will waive any rule if you have a valid reason.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old February 19th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sometimes military fields will allow civilian planes to do practice
approaches (no landing). But really, it's just a guess. Could be a lot
of things (some have been mentioned).

Old February 19th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Case in point Altus AFB, OK. "PRACTICE APPROACHES MUST TERMINATE IN A LOW
APPROACH"

On 18 Feb 2006 22:32:42 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

Sometimes military fields will allow civilian planes to do practice
approaches (no landing). But really, it's just a guess. Could be a lot
of things (some have been mentioned).

GeorgeC