what is a fender washer?

Old January 9th 05, 02:08 AM
Leo Van Der Loo

STOP THE CROSS POSTING PLEASE, THIS IS A WOOD TURNING SITE !!!

Old January 9th 05, 02:16 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:08:02 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

STOP THE CROSS POSTING PLEASE, THIS IS A WOOD TURNING SITE !!!

No it isn't, it's a homebuilding site! :-)

Ron "Death to crossposters" Wanttaja
Old January 9th 05, 02:45 AM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: A little guy name Jose' who works down at my local car
wash. He's not tall enough to wash the top of the car, just the fenders.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can buy at your neighborhood electric guitar store parts department.

Old January 9th 05, 02:49 AM
Blueskies

wrote:

STOP THE CROSS POSTING PLEASE, THIS IS A WOOD TURNING SITE !!!

No it isn't, it's a homebuilding site! :-)

Ron "Death to crossposters" Wanttaja

Just got your book for Christmas. Fun reading!

Dan "Gonna build an airplane with fender washers" DeVillers

Old January 9th 05, 03:01 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: OK, so what's the etemology? Did they hold fenders on,
or fend off denting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's the same etymology, Jeff. Fenders on a car are so named because they
fend off other cars, or possibly cows. Incidentally, in Britain, fenders
really can fend off things--they are what Americans call "bumpers."

Old January 9th 05, 03:42 AM
Leon Heller

"John Kunkel" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

A fender washer has a larger than normal outside diameter for the size of
the center hole. The purpose is to cover the slotted adjustment holes
normally found in some fenders and body panels.

We call them 'penny washers' in the UK, because they are about the same size
as an old penny.

Leon

Old January 9th 05, 03:53 AM
Jeff Wisnia

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: OK, so what's the etemology? Did they hold fenders on,
or fend off denting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's the same etymology, Jeff. Fenders on a car are so named because they
fend off other cars, or possibly cows. Incidentally, in Britain, fenders
really can fend off things--they are what Americans call "bumpers."

Ah yes, and I'm old enough to remember when cars HAD bumpers, not the
wussy things they still call bumpers which get scarred from their first
kiss.

I also remember "bumper bolts"; Chromed carriage bolts which held the
old chromed bumpers onto their brackets.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Old January 9th 05, 04:31 AM
UltraJohn

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: OK, so what's the etemology? Did they hold fenders
on, or fend off denting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's the same etymology, Jeff. Fenders on a car are so named because
they
fend off other cars, or possibly cows. Incidentally, in Britain, fenders
really can fend off things--they are what Americans call "bumpers."

Ah yes, and I'm old enough to remember when cars HAD bumpers, not the
wussy things they still call bumpers which get scarred from their first
kiss.

I also remember "bumper bolts"; Chromed carriage bolts which held the
old chromed bumpers onto their brackets.

Jeff

I can remember when Sunoco 260 cost .25 a gallon!
John

Old January 9th 05, 05:14 AM
Martin H. Eastburn

Leon Heller wrote:

"John Kunkel" wrote in message

wrote in message
roups.com...

what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

A fender washer has a larger than normal outside diameter for the size of
the center hole. The purpose is to cover the slotted adjustment holes
normally found in some fenders and body panels.

We call them 'penny washers' in the UK, because they are about the same size
as an old penny.

Leon

That is what happened to all of those old Pennies!

Our 1/2" hole type are typically 2" or more.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Old January 9th 05, 06:22 AM
J. Clarke

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: OK, so what's the etemology? Did they hold fenders
on, or fend off denting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's the same etymology, Jeff. Fenders on a car are so named because
they
fend off other cars, or possibly cows. Incidentally, in Britain, fenders
really can fend off things--they are what Americans call "bumpers."

Ah yes, and I'm old enough to remember when cars HAD bumpers, not the
wussy things they still call bumpers which get scarred from their first
kiss.

Actually, those "wussy things" will take a higher speed impact without
damage other than scratches than will the ones when cars HAD bumpers. The
reason for the "wussy things" is that the government wasn't satisfied with
the strength of the existing bumpers and required that they be made
stronger--to do that they had to be made with some "give" which meant using
flexible materials which meant scratches.

Personally I think it was a bad idea--the "wussy things" work fine up to
their design speed but above that they cost a _lot_ more to fix than the
old fashioned kind because the pieces that make them able to survive
impacts at the required speed get broken and have to be replaced.

I also remember "bumper bolts"; Chromed carriage bolts which held the
old chromed bumpers onto their brackets.

Jeff

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)