what is a fender washer?

Old January 9th 05, 09:08 AM
Gunner

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:53:07 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

It's the same etymology, Jeff. Fenders on a car are so named because they
fend off other cars, or possibly cows. Incidentally, in Britain, fenders
really can fend off things--they are what Americans call "bumpers."

Ah yes, and I'm old enough to remember when cars HAD bumpers, not the
wussy things they still call bumpers which get scarred from their first
kiss.

I also remember "bumper bolts"; Chromed carriage bolts which held the
old chromed bumpers onto their brackets.

Jeff

I can remember when you jacked up a car by the bumper. Nowdays hit a
curb and its $800 in repairs

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better,
on average, than the citizens of Baltimore.
True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee,
but why this is more stylish than
sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know."
-- P.J O'Rourke (1989)
Old January 9th 05, 09:11 AM
Gunner

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:08:02 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

STOP THE CROSS POSTING PLEASE, THIS IS A WOOD TURNING SITE !!!

Would you damned wood turners please stop typing in caps!! Besides
this is a metal working site, and we dont work to 1/8" and call it
precison.

Wood butcher!! And you cut down Gods Trees to do your damned criminal
work.
We only dig up mountains for our materials!

So there! BRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPP!

Old January 9th 05, 12:49 PM
jls

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. com...

" jls" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
what is a fender washer? in which situation is it used?

Of course a "fender" washer may not be legal for aircraft use. Always

use a
cad-plated AN 970 washer purchased from a reliable source.

groups trimmed

A hardware store washer will be just fine as long as the purpose and use

is understood. This is the homebuilt forum,
right? Nothing illegal about its use at all....

You're right, Mr. Blueskies. I stand corrected. Cad plating on a washer
is unnecessary but it sure helps on the bolt and nut.

Now safety is an entirely different matter....

Old January 9th 05, 01:09 PM
Blueskies

" jls" wrote in message ...

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. com...

" jls" wrote in message

A hardware store washer will be just fine as long as the purpose and use

is understood. This is the homebuilt forum,
right? Nothing illegal about its use at all....

You're right, Mr. Blueskies. I stand corrected. Cad plating on a washer
is unnecessary but it sure helps on the bolt and nut.

Now safety is an entirely different matter....

Most if not all washers I see in the hardware stores are plated, if not Cad then nickel. I don't recall seeing any plain
ones lately...

Old January 9th 05, 02:06 PM
Denis Marier

Just for the fun of it ;-) When on a boat in the USA or Canada the word
bumper is used to identify a protective rubber rail or similar device
permanently mounted on the freeboards of a boat to absorb small impacts.
Fenders are not permanently mounted and are attached with ropes to the deck
rail when needed as an additional protection when docking, rafting or other
situations that can cause damages. When you see a tug boat with numerous
black tires attached with rope on its freeboards they are used as fenders.
FWIW.

------

Old January 9th 05, 04:10 PM
Rich S.

"Blueskies" wrote in message
m...

Most if not all washers I see in the hardware stores are plated, if not
Cad then nickel. I don't recall seeing any plain ones lately...

Lowes and Home Dee-pot are *not* hardware stores. . . ;-)

Rich

Old January 9th 05, 05:37 PM
larry g

A fender washer was used back in the thirties to sixties cars to allow a
large mounting hole to be built into the fender of the car to give it some
adjustability at assembly. A typically 5/16" bolt would go through the
fender washer, and a corresponding rubber washer, the fender and screw into
the body. The OD of the fender washer was in the 1 1/2" range and is thin
to allow it to form to the application, not flatten the fender if it is
curved in that area. The rubber is a gasket to help keep water at bay. The
bolts usually had a flanged head with serrations to lock it in place. If
your looking for structure then your not looking for fender washers.
lg
no neat sig line

Old January 9th 05, 07:08 PM
Jim Carriere

Blueskies wrote:
" jls" wrote in message ...

"Blueskies" wrote in message
y.com...

" jls" wrote in message

A hardware store washer will be just fine as long as the purpose and use

is understood. This is the homebuilt forum,

right? Nothing illegal about its use at all....

You're right, Mr. Blueskies. I stand corrected. Cad plating on a washer
is unnecessary but it sure helps on the bolt and nut.

Now safety is an entirely different matter....

Most if not all washers I see in the hardware stores are plated, if not Cad then nickel. I don't recall seeing any plain
ones lately...

I thought the cheap hardware store hardware (nuts/bolts/washers
anyway) was zinc plated. Sometimes the really cheap stuff flakes off...

If you've found nickel plating, that's a pretty good thing. Maybe I
gotta look closer next time I'm at the store.

Old January 9th 05, 07:45 PM
Harold & Susan Vordos

wrote:

STOP THE CROSS POSTING PLEASE, THIS IS A WOOD TURNING SITE !!!

Would you damned wood turners please stop typing in caps!! Besides
this is a metal working site, and we dont work to 1/8" and call it
precison.

Wood butcher!! And you cut down Gods Trees to do your damned criminal
work.
We only dig up mountains for our materials!

So there! BRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPP!

Gunner

Chuckle! That sucker has no idea who he's messing with, does he? Give him
hell, Gunner.

Harold

Old January 9th 05, 07:59 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:09:44 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote:

" jls" wrote in message ...

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. com...

" jls" wrote in message

A hardware store washer will be just fine as long as the purpose and use

is understood. This is the homebuilt forum,
right? Nothing illegal about its use at all....

You're right, Mr. Blueskies. I stand corrected. Cad plating on a washer
is unnecessary but it sure helps on the bolt and nut.

Now safety is an entirely different matter....

Most if not all washers I see in the hardware stores are plated, if not Cad then nickel. I don't recall seeing any plain
ones lately...

The VAST majority are bright zinc plated.