Lightspeed Headset Story-Wow

Old October 13th 05, 07:39 PM
Bill

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:25:51 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

bill wrote:
I was even more shocked! What absolutely awesome customer service and
support. I'm most likely a customer for life.

I think it's important to mention the service to them as being the reason you
continue to buy from them. They need direct feedback that their service is
critical to keeping their customers. Some companies are too stupid to figure
that out.

Trust me, I told them just that when they handed me the ear seals at
OSH this year. That was my third time to deal directly with the
company.

First was service on my 20XL. Second was when I needed 5 more
headsets, and one of the guys went and negotiated the deal for me with
one of the vendors and I got all 5 from that vendor at a great price.
Third was this year at OSH.

Customer for life, but my next set of headsets I'm building for
myself. I'll make EXACTLY what I want that way. Can't wait to do it.

Bill Strahan
www.adventurepilot.com

Old October 13th 05, 10:29 PM
Ross Richardson

Why would you wrap the cord around the headset when you have the nice
case provided?

Owner of two sets of 20ks that are still working.
-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Jim Burns wrote:
Thanks for reminding me of Alan's name.

2 years ago at OSH, one of my partners and I were shopping for headsets and
we accidentally ran into him at one of the vender booths. We were trying to
get the vender to lower his price and Alan quietly pulled us aside and told
us who the lowest priced vender at the show was, and told us that we
wouldn't find a lower price. We talked with him for about 20 minutes. Very
nice guy, very accommodating.

One complaint that I have about my 20XL's, is that when you wrap the cord
around the headset, the ANR box ends up directly on top of the earpiece, so
you have to leave the cord sloppy loose and it often falls off.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

I really like the Lightspeeds, the ANR and all that, but I am very
concerned
about the Quality Control. I was thinking of writing or calling the
president
of the company to voice my concerns. I wonder if it would do any good.

I'm really surprised to hear this about one of their new models. My

Twenty

3Gs have been completely bulletproof.

BTW: His name is Alan Schrader. He's one of the good guys, and, yes, it
will help to call him.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 13th 05, 10:51 PM
Jim Burns

Easier, faster, more convenient. But that's just me. I honestly wouldn't
give you 10 cents for a semi load of those bags. Just something extra
cluttering up the plane, my car, or my house. Like I said, that's just me.
I've never had a problem with the cord or the ANR unit, only the stirrups
that I feel I broke myself due to the cold weather.
Jim

Old October 13th 05, 11:14 PM
Maule Driver

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Mark T. Dame wrote:

I'm a die-hard David Clark customer, but stories like this make you
start questioning what you're being loyal to. I may have to look at
Lightspeed when it come time to replace my DCs.

I broke my high dollar David Clark headset in a plane crash amd you can be
damned sure they charged me to repair them. You can be equally sure the next
set I bought weren't David Clark.

Can't quite figure out if tongue is firmly implanted in cheek or whether
you are being straight... I'm thinking that there is a reasonable point
at which charging for repairs should be expected. There should be an
insurance payment to offset.

Now my Peltors are a different matter. The mechanicals are greate but
the ANC has failed and/or degraded in both sets more than once. I just
don't expect digital electronics to fail very often. Charging 80% of
their new cost to fix them didn't sit very well... but that's another story.

The ironic part, isn't it DC that set the standard for headsets and
headset service in the marketplace. That seems like the competition
that Lightspeed had to beat - I"m thinking about 2 pair now.
Old October 14th 05, 02:48 AM
Ron Natalie

Al Gilson wrote:
I have a Lightspeed 15XL ANR headset and I like it. It really cuts down
on the noise. However, when I pulled it out to go flying a couple of
weeks ago, I discivered that the headband was broken. I was depressed.

When Margy's got crushed in the trunk of her car, I asked them what I
had to do to get it repaired, they offered to do it for free, but as I
described the broken part, they said it'd be faster if I did it myself.
They sent me the parts and detailed (not really necessary) instructions
on replacing it.
Old October 14th 05, 02:54 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Maule Driver wrote:
I broke my high dollar David Clark headset in a plane crash amd you can be
damned sure they charged me to repair them. You can be equally sure the next
set I bought weren't David Clark.

Can't quite figure out if tongue is firmly implanted in cheek or whether
you are being straight... I'm thinking that there is a reasonable point
at which charging for repairs should be expected. There should be an
insurance payment to offset.

There was no catastrophic damage to my headset... the cord got cut or torn
loose; I'm not even sure. The actual earpieces, microphone , and headband were
all still intact. I thought it'd be a nice gesture for them to repair the
headset gratis... they could then advertise how rugged they were.... flying
again even after a crash. But no, they made me pay for a new cord + labor.

I now own three headsets, but only the oldest one is a David Clark.

As for any insurance, there sure wasn't any payoff for me. I worked for the
FBO; it was a customer's airplane. Somebody else collected the money. I got
worker's comp and a year and a half's vacation.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old October 14th 05, 05:43 PM
Ross Richardson

I have two of the 20Ks and they are still going. Early on I cut a cord
with sliding the Cessna seat over the cord. Lightspeed fixed that for
free even though it was not their fault. The ear cushions and head band
cushion have had to be replaced on both headsets. One set they charged
me for and the other one they didn't. I didn't argue since I got so much
free survive along the way. I will agree that the stirrups are a bit
weak in design on the early models. Not sure about later ones.

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Old October 15th 05, 02:52 AM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:20:41 -0700, Al Gilson
wrote:

I'm impressed. In this day and age of customer "no" service, these
folks did OK in my book.

This has been Lightspeeds mode of operation since day 1, I just traded
in my 20XLs for a 30-3G and couldn't be happier.

-Nathan

Old October 15th 05, 04:19 AM
john smith

Has anyone measured the distance from outside of one earcup to the
outside of the other earcup width of a Lightspeed headset when worn?
Old October 15th 05, 05:36 AM
Morgans

"john smith" wrote in message
Has anyone measured the distance from outside of one earcup to the
outside of the other earcup width of a Lightspeed headset when worn?

Interesting question, to which I can not help, but I have to ask. What do
you want to do with this information?
--
Jim in NC