A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

iPad mini/iGlide

Old July 21st 14, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross Whittle
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

Anyone using an iPad or iPad mini with the iGlide software?

I wondered if anyone was using a mount for an iPad mini or could
recommend one.

Old July 21st 14, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

"RAM" roller mounts are great. Amazon link below for ipad mini. They make them for all sorts of tabletty thingies.
Jim

http://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Syste.../dp/B00B7OE4DW
Old July 21st 14, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross Whittle
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

At 08:26 21 July 2014, JS wrote:
"RAM" roller mounts are great. Amazon link below for ipad mini.

They make
them for all sorts of tabletty thingies.
Jim

http://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Syste...lr-Cradle-Ram-

hol-ap14u/dp/B00B7OE4DW

Cheers!!

Old July 21st 14, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

Hi,

The RAM-HOL-UN8BU works great with iPad Mini units.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ram.htm#RAM-HOL-UN8BU

Is the iPad mini bright enough for use in bright sunlight?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"JS" wrote in message

"RAM" roller mounts are great. Amazon link below for ipad mini. They make
them for all sorts of tabletty thingies.
Jim

http://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Syste.../dp/B00B7OE4DW

Old July 21st 14, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

Anybody using the Iglide software in an Ipad or iPhone that can comment as to it's usefulness?
Old July 21st 14, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

On Monday, July 21, 2014 1:43:44 PM UTC-4, Glidergeek wrote:
Anybody using the Iglide software in an Ipad or iPhone that can comment as to it's usefulness?

I have used iGlide Pro occasionally for over a year now. Its fun, very intuitive and EXTREMELY easy to use when compared to an Oudie or even XC Soar. One issue is that the Phone 5 is not bright enough for sunny days and the battery life is not sufficient for a long flight (external battery required). iGlide would be great on the iPad Mini's large display if its bright enough and the battery life is better (likely it is).

FWIW,

Sean

Old July 21st 14, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

On Monday, July 21, 2014 10:43:44 AM UTC-7, Glidergeek wrote:

Yes.

I have used iGlide on an iPhone 5s and 4s. My comments:

* It is by far the most advanced user interface of any available software, nicely integrating the full iOS user interface in every aspect. Swipes, pinch to zoom, touch panning, ease of editing fields and tasks, etc. puts most of the others to shame. Nearly everything you do is substantially quicker, easier, and more intuitive than the others. I own and have run SYM, XCSoar, GlideNav, Winpilot, Winpilot iOS.

* An iPhone is *nearly* sunlight readable at around 500 nits. An iPad mini falls enough short of that (350 nits) to make it unusable for me except under dense clouds. The iPhone and iPad screens are all glossy finish, making reflections a problem. When hand held you naturally tilt the display to minimize these, but in a mount you are cannot.

* The resolution of the display somewhat compensates for the small size (iPhone), however you must mount it closer to you, and then deal with the focus issues (if you are older than 45 ).

* The display is very configurable through both the navbox choices and the XML file specifying display choices.

* The connectivity of the iPhone means that a full update of airspace, FLarm database, maps, whatever is just a click or two away.

* The Flarm display only supplies details on one chosen target. It will display a target icon and identifier for all of them, but details on only one at a time.

* The iPhone is a little power hungry (more draw than an Oudie). It will operate maybe three hours on internal battery. I have it fed from the ship's instrument battery, it draws around 0.35 - 0.4A even when fully charged. An Oudie is about 0.25 - 0.3.

* In sunny and warm conditions the iPhone may overheat and shut down until it cools. I found that to be nearly a killer for me. I fly in the high desert, on the ground it quickly warms up if in the sun. Once at altitude you can direct a cool air blast and keep it cool, but this limits where you put it.

If and when we see a 5" iPhone 6, then it could be perfect. However the display brightness and warm shutdown may remain an issue.
Old July 21st 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

Were you using Lite...Advanced or pro version?
Old July 22nd 14, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

On Monday, July 21, 2014 2:55:35 PM UTC-7, Glidergeek wrote:
Were you using Lite...Advanced or pro version?

Pro. You need the advanced to get task functions, and Pro to get different rules and other features.

I wish they would make a free version available that only works in simulator mode. I have suggested that, but so far no. Just about every other program you can try before you buy.
Old July 27th 14, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek
external usenet poster

Default iPad mini/iGlide

On Monday, July 21, 2014 1:54:05 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Monday, July 21, 2014 10:43:44 AM UTC-7, Glidergeek wrote:

Yes.

I have used iGlide on an iPhone 5s and 4s. My comments:

* It is by far the most advanced user interface of any available software, nicely integrating the full iOS user interface in every aspect. Swipes, pinch to zoom, touch panning, ease of editing fields and tasks, etc. puts most of the others to shame. Nearly everything you do is substantially quicker, easier, and more intuitive than the others. I own and have run SYM, XCSoar, GlideNav, Winpilot, Winpilot iOS.

* An iPhone is *nearly* sunlight readable at around 500 nits. An iPad mini falls enough short of that (350 nits) to make it unusable for me except under dense clouds. The iPhone and iPad screens are all glossy finish, making reflections a problem. When hand held you naturally tilt the display to minimize these, but in a mount you are cannot.

* The resolution of the display somewhat compensates for the small size (iPhone), however you must mount it closer to you, and then deal with the focus issues (if you are older than 45 ).

* The display is very configurable through both the navbox choices and the XML file specifying display choices.

* The connectivity of the iPhone means that a full update of airspace, FLarm database, maps, whatever is just a click or two away.

* The Flarm display only supplies details on one chosen target. It will display a target icon and identifier for all of them, but details on only one at a time.

* The iPhone is a little power hungry (more draw than an Oudie). It will operate maybe three hours on internal battery. I have it fed from the ship's instrument battery, it draws around 0.35 - 0.4A even when fully charged. An Oudie is about 0.25 - 0.3.

* In sunny and warm conditions the iPhone may overheat and shut down until it cools. I found that to be nearly a killer for me. I fly in the high desert, on the ground it quickly warms up if in the sun. Once at altitude you can direct a cool air blast and keep it cool, but this limits where you put it.

If and when we see a 5" iPhone 6, then it could be perfect. However the display brightness and warm shutdown may remain an issue.

Ok I bit and bought lite. Seems easy enough to configure, but now am trying to figure out how to add user way points for instance the manual says to download Cambridge way points .DAT:

"Importing own data
You can also import own datafiles into iGlide and use them in addition to the preloaded datasets or instead of the preloaded datasets"

I find this rather vague, any insite from others that have done this? Through Itunes? or direct?